Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Made my decision

Made my decision

If the opportunity falls in my lap, I may change my mind, but spending $5000 for the body kit is just out of my range. So I am going to construct my own Aventador body.

At this point, it'll be better to give me suggestions and ideas about how to do a better job then to try encourage me not to do it. Plus, it is unlikely that I will make just one shell, so someone here may have something to gain by it.

This is obviously going to be a HUGE project. It'll probably take more then 100 hours to just get the specs. together, let alone actual construction.

I DO like the Aventador interior but I am still hell bent on designing my own. I am also probably going to stick to classic scissor doors as I have always liked the idea of "straight up" door movement for it's advantage in tight parking.

Anyway, I could use all the help you can give me. Mostly I just need body specs right now but info on making the lights would also be of great help.

BTW.

I realize most of you think I'm wasting my time and I need help from people who have some real confidence in this project, so I am going to try and get a front end portion built some time soon so you guys can see where this is really going.

What are your plans with building the buck of the car?

The buck???

Get in touch with IKR he has exactly what you need, only question is whether he will share

Dont take offense but to start from scratch is almost surely never to be completed.

You don't even know what a buck is, it's gonna be a long road.

How are you going to construct the window indentations, channels? What windows are you gong to use? How about the hinge location and drip rails? What about the inner panels like the inner doors and hood? Door jambs?

Good Luck Ronin. you can make an extra and sell it on here.

PS- Scissor doors are great for tight parking I'm sure, but I'd never utilize them for that reason. Stay away from tight parking with that Aventador please. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by notnilc20 View Post
    Good Luck Ronin. you can make an extra and sell it on here.

PS- Scissor doors are great for tight parking I'm sure, but I'd never utilize them for that reason. Stay away from tight parking with that Aventador please. ;-)
    LOL. Thanks for the sound advice. I'll avoid that whenever possible but very often I won't have that luxury.

I've already agreed to make a spare shell for a friend of mine. I am more then willing to build a 3rd but it may have to wait a while as building these shells is going to be expensive as well as very time consuming. I also want to get mine built, tested and proven before making copies for anyone else.

I'll probably be more open to trade then direct sale, but we'll see.

As far as the interior goes, I really like the real Aventador interior but there are some things it has that I don't need and there are some things I need that it doesn't have. So I am probably going to make a tweaked variation of the Aventador's interior. Yes, I know it's leather. I'm a sword smith. I know a little something about working with leather as well as where and how to get it.

The interior is the part I intend to put the most money and work in to but I intend to do this over a very long period of time as I plan to put some serious electronics in it such as a passenger HUD GPS, Blue Ray player (for the passenger), Surround Sound speakers, digital media player etc.

I also want to make the seats with a change grabber so that if anything falls out of your pocket, you won't have to dig for it.

As for the scissor doors. I will probably fine tune the angle myself. I really agree with Lamborghini on creating that angle for comfort of opening and closing but I am a little nervous about it's clearance. I'll probably just make it so that it will go at an angle but not exceed the space I will need to get in the door.

Anyway, my goal is basically an exact copy (externally) of this, with the same paint job but different rims.

http://www.time4lose.com/uploads/pos...36042501_3.jpg

Ronin ,don't take offense In no way want to deter you from your dream but have you thought about maybe buying a body that is readily available then make changes to it adding your own designs and ideas, why reinvent the wheel, Look at the SSC Aero, the whole reason Buggati built the super sport Veyron ( to regain fastest production car record from SSC, It the Aero body was built by a company that use to build Diablo kits,, notice simularities between the Aero and diablo? YOu are going to invest 15-20k in a set of molds and might sell 1 body from them??? doesn't make sense to me..

Quote Originally Posted by Jbrown View Post
    Ronin ,don't take offense In no way want to deter you from your dream but have you thought about maybe buying a body that is readily available then make changes to it adding your own designs and ideas, why reinvent the wheel, Look at the SSC Aero, the whole reason Buggati built the super sport Veyron ( to regain fastest production car record from SSC, It the Aero body was built by a company that use to build Diablo kits,, notice simularities between the Aero and diablo? YOu are going to invest 15-20k in a set of molds and might sell 1 body from them??? doesn't make sense to me..
    Money is the primary issue. It's allot more affordable to just make my own body then to buy a shell. I use to make

very big scale models. I'm planning a few miniatures of medieval cities (Constantinople, Nandorfehervar etc.) now. I realize that for someone who has never done such a thing before that it's going to be very tricky business. But for me, it's the one thing I am most skilled at. Most of the stuff I am seeing from actual builders seams to conflict with the accuracy statements I am hearing, at least from my way of thinking, in that many of these kits being made seam to have less focus on exterior accuracy then what I have in mind.

No offense to those who make these things for a living, but for someone on a budget who has decades of experience in this sort of craft, why pay $3500 for something I can make for under $1000. Mind you, a huge portion of the materials needed I either have already or have access to for little or no cost at all.

Also, the Aventador is actually going to be easier for me to replicate then the others. The extra details increase the work load but they also serve as reference points to help insure that I'm doing things right. Plus, I enjoy that sort of thing. I am doing this more for the sake of doing it then the results.

As far as molds go. It's definitely easier to be making molds for some parts, but as you mentioned, it's also very expensive. There will be some cases where I'll need to at least make some curve shaping molds but I will only do it when absolutely necessary.

Anyway, my friend who is interested in this stuff too is flying out of the country in a couple weeks and will be gone for a couple months. I told him I'd TRY to get the fender done before he leaves so he can see where this is going. Since I have a few blades to finish in the next few days and very limited funds, I am not very confident in having it finished by then, but we'll see.

It's just not worth it. So you make a buck out of foam, now you need to seal it, make the jambs, window contour drip rails, etc, then make it into a mold, in which you will then use to make a body out of.

Are you sure you know or understand the basics of "making" a body? It's not easy.mjust ask beirhizel on here... His is still a looooong way to go.

First you spend money on wood and foam, then sealer and filler, and then fiberglass to make the mold from the buck, and then more fiberglass materials for the actual body.

If you don't have the money for a already made body, then you have no business going forward as you won't have enough for the interior and other trinkets and necessary items.