Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who builds the best Murcielago Replica (kits and/or turnkeys) in the US?

Orange County, California - 40 miles from Los Angeles

Who builds the best Murcielago Replica (kits and/or turnkeys) in the US?

Hello everybody,

I am a California native who really wants to get a build for a Murcielago going this summer. If the build does not seem a realistic project, then I am also ok with acquiring a turn-key.

I have been looking through a number of sites, articles, etc in order to try to find some outstanding Murcielago builders locally in California or in the US for a Hard Top version. Is there anybody somebody can recommend here?

I of course found awesome looking kits and turnkeys from people like Extreme-Sportscars or Spydersportscars.com but they are located in the UK unfortunately. While the 2 companies and their products are not necessarily projects I won't undertake, they may give rise to a number of potential problems; customs and importation into the USA, issues if pieces of the kit are missing, customer service and after market sales support, etc, etc.

I start teaching again in the fall, so, now was really the time and chance to get a good foundation started for my project. So, any help would be greatly appreciated in terms of who can build a great hard top Murcielago replica here in the states. It doesn't have to be an LP-640. I am also interested in kit builders or companies who provide an excellent kit.

I guess if nothing falls through, my plan B was probably just to go with a DNA kit for a Ferrari replica.

Have a great rest of the week everybody!

I also forgot to mention, I would prefer the donor to be an MR2, but I'm also OK with a FIERO as a donor.
    Additionally, I would really like the vehicle to be as OEM as possible.

You can build one that is 99% oem, not including the drivetrain, just appearance, for around $80,000 if you do the build yourself. Are you prepared to spend that much? The oem thing can get very expensive.

to have an 99% oem build is not worth 80k ..with that kind of cash you can get a 2004 Gallardo 200% oem with the looks and horsepower... but having an extreme kit built just exterior 99% as oem looks would cost around minimum 50 k,so its reasonable since original murcielagos sell for over 100k-150k ... anyway you are right by not ordering from UK extreme for example are well known for not sending few important items ... anywya if you are in the US you can get a john watson kit .. from Air dynamics ... it looks even better than extreme and its lp640 ...its the best you can get.

Without an idea of your budget it is going to be hard to give any real suggestions, but Cliff is also doing one

Quote Originally Posted by ahmad_f View Post
    to have an 99% oem build is not worth 80k ..with that kind of cash you can get a 2004 Gallardo 200% oem with the looks and horsepower... but having an extreme kit built just exterior 99% as oem looks would cost around minimum 50 k,so its reasonable since original murcielagos sell for over 100k-150k ... anyway you are right by not ordering from UK extreme for example are well known for not sending few important items ... anywya if you are in the US you can get a john watson kit .. from Air dynamics ... it looks even better than extreme and its lp640 ...its the best you can get.
    The $80,000 figure is to have a murci-me quality replica. You can't duplicate one like his for $50,000. The justification for an $80,000 replica is the satisfaction of having it your way and the lower maintenance costs. If those are not a factor for you then an original Lamborghini is worth thinking about.

Hey, thanks for the helpful comments, and sorry for not providing as much info.
    I am looking to spend around 40-50K for the kit in total.
    I have also been in touch with J.Watson. Hopefully before the end of the summer, I'll put in a decision. As for now, I am still looking around.
    Hey AdrianBurton, when you say 'Cliff' is building one, do you know where I can take a look at his build diary? But yes, I agree, if I was to spend 80,000, then I think I'd rather take the additional plunge and purchase an authentic used one.
    Its also just bizarre that the donor vehicle, the Toyota MR2 is roughly a tenth of the price in the UK (which has a very high cost of living and among the more expensive countries in terms of prices of vehicles) compared to the US. I find it ridiculous owners are asking for a huge price for their beat up almost 20 year old high mileage MR2s here in California. Sad.

50k? Nuts.

There are so many things out there that can be used and keep it around the 30k mark.

I have a Watson kit. With the full interior, glass, the kit and seats, I have 12k. With my labor and a vinyl wrap, I will estimate 25k.

I refuse to paint it. Just me.

Quote Originally Posted by kitcargray View Post
    ....Hey AdrianBurton, when you say 'Cliff' is building one, do you know where I can take a look at his build diary? ....

Have a look here.

Home Page

I have seen his stuff and you wont be dissappointed

Quote Originally Posted by dratts1 View Post
    You can build one that is 99% oem, not including the drivetrain, just appearance, for around $80,000 if you do the build yourself. Are you prepared to spend that much? The oem thing can get very expensive.

I don't think that Murcie-Me spent close to 80k and his is OEM. Plenty of other guys here with G28's.

You could also build an extreme for like 30k solid using a stock MR2 Turbo.

I honestly think once a build surpasses 50k its pointless because you buy an original exotic car for around that price. A Real TR, NSX, Viper and so on.