Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a V8 Sound Like a Lamborghini V12

Making a V8 Sound Like a Lamborghini V12

Okay guys, we all know that getting an American muscle V8 to sound like a Lambo V12 is like trying to make a Harley Davidson motorcycle sound like a Crotch Rocket sports bike! (It's not going to happen!)

However, I've got a rolling chassis with a brand new GM 350 V8 engine that I am building a Lamborghini Reventon replica on (see build journal here: http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...on-builds.html) and I've been testing some different exhaust systems trying to get a "high pitched, V12 sound."

After spending a lot of money on mufflers, I realized that a Borla system is going to be the best option (very exotic sound with minimal "muscle car grumble".)

I know that there is no way to make a V8 sound like a V12 (if anyone knows how to, let me know,) but with a Borla system, I can get a nice, clean powerful sound that could pass for a modified Lambo exhaust system. You'll notice that there are Lambo owners who modify their exhaust systems to get rid of the high pitch sound and try to get a more aggressive "roar." When this is done (usually with a Borla system ironically,) the sound is much closer to an American muscle car.

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice as to which Borla system sounds best for this build. I'm going to post videos of 3 different systems:

1. Borla Boomer (my favorite.)

2. Borla XR1 (which I get the most positive comments on.)

3. Borla Pro-XS (which seems to have the highest pitch of the Borla's.)

Please don't post comments about how "none of them sound like V12's" because I already know this! It's easier to get a 4-banger, V6, or motorcycle to sound like a Lamborghini than an American V8 engine; but I'm simply looking for comments as to which of these 3 configurations sound best given the circumstances. Also, if you have other suggestions for makine the GM V8 sound more "exotic," please share the information!

VIDEO 1: BORLA BOOMER

Last edited by lamboreplica; 09-20-2012 at 10:46 PM.

VIDEO 2: BORLA XR1 RACING MUFFLER:

Last edited by lamboreplica; 09-20-2012 at 10:41 PM.

VIDEO 3: BORLA PRO-XS:

Here you go SoundRacer product

I have to agree with you that the Borla Boomer sounds better to me with the XR1 in second place. I didn’t really like the sound of the Pro-XS. Do you have cats installed or just the regular pipe to the muffler?

You mentioned that it’s easier to get the Lamborghini sound from a V6; what exhaust system do you recommend for the V6?
    Pedro

They are replicas there not a real Lamborghinis so the closer the sound the better they will be

Quote Originally Posted by ss5dojo View Post
    Fake engine noise?
    this is what makes replicas look bad, it would be more respectable to keep the v8 sound or even a 4 cyl.
    Same with the fake brake discs which don't even look real.

V8 Exhaust on Lamborghini replica chassis

Quote Originally Posted by autopro View Post
    I have to agree with you that the Borla Boomer sounds better to me with the XR1 in second place. I didnít really like the sound of the Pro-XS. Do you have cats installed or just the regular pipe to the muffler?

You mentioned that itís easier to get the Lamborghini sound from a V6; what exhaust system do you recommend for the V6?
    Thanks for the feedback. All 3 configurations in this thread are piped strait from the engine to the muffler (no cats.) I added a Magnaflow cat and tested a bunch of mufflers and don't think it helped much with the sound so I removed it. It gave the sound a higher pitch, but not exactly what I wanted. In Michigan, you can get away with running it with no cat but I added it to see what it did to the sound. Here is a video so you can compare:

1st Clip: OBX Twin Loop muffler + cat
    2nd Clip: Borla Boomer muffler + cat
    3rd Clip: Borla XR1 muffler + cat
    4th Clip: 3M Racing muffler + cat (sounds bad ass, but too much "muscle")
    5th Clip: Magnaflow cat with no muffler

Let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by autopro View Post
    You mentioned that it’s easier to get the Lamborghini sound from a V6; what exhaust system do you recommend for the V6?
    After some experimenting, I found that the Borla XR1 followed by a Borla Boomer or APC Intimidator muffler (yes, 2 mufflers mounted in series) with no cat sounds awesome. Here is a video. Keep in mind that this is a stock 2.8 Fiero motor!

Lexus 1uzfe with ITB

Quote Originally Posted by ss5dojo View Post
    V6's usually sound nicer. I like the Audi V8's sound, though. It doesn't really sound like American V8s for some reason.. I think someone on here had a lexus engine and made a custom x pipe it sounded awesome. They never seemed to finish their build though! :\
    I like this engine itīs easy to crank up the hp and it sounds like a dream

I see exactly what you mean with the use of the CATS, here in California we have some pretty strict emission laws but since I am building a custom chassis I still donít know exactly what will apply to my situation. Hopefully I can get away without using them.
    I really liked the way the XR1 and the Boomer sounded together so I think that is what I will be using on mine, thanks lamboreplica!
    Pedro