Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: buyer warning, beware

buyer warning, beware

I'm new here but felt the need to join just to get the word out. If you are part of another kit car forum or otherwise, spread the word. The Ebay vehicle below is a scam. I made the mistake of buying this car for $55,000 a couple of months ago and when the car arrived it was a disaster.

Heres the ebay link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lambo...QQcmdZViewItem

Upon delivery

The battery was dead and wouldn't hold a charge.
    Once I got it running it made screaching noises and smelled of burning belt or something.
    The car is 2 different colors as if someone tried to paint it burgundy when it was an original lambo color.
    The paint is all dimpled and wavy.
    The windows don't roll up without manual assistance and don't stay up.
    The drivers door doesn't close all the way most of the time.
    The Engine bogs out and kills if you try to give it gas.
    You have to pump the crap out of the gas pedal to get it to start.
    The rear wing isn't tight to the back end and lifts about 1 1/2 inches off the car.
    The drivers seat isn't bolted down in the left front corner of the seat.
    The guy who delivered the car said if you look under it it looks like someone spot welded the front end on, and it's ready to fall off.
    The windshield is in uneven and is just held in by a ton of window caulk, no window seal/trim.
    The rims are losing the chrome, it's flaking off.
    The dash cover is lifting off.
    The car has alot of touch up paint on it.
    The roof has a crack in it.
    and on and on.

The dealer stated it's value at $60000 and he even brought in a third party appraiser to appraise the car which my credit union wanted before they borrowed me money for this car and it turned out that he was a friend of the dealership owner and they both lied and falsified the appraisal documents. I researched the car and everything about the car being on the kit car magazine cover is true. It was built by The Car Factory in Florida and the guy does good work, but this car had to have been beat on and possibly in an accident.

The car is in my garage right now. I threatened to sue the dealer and he wired me all my money accept the shipping which I'm working on getting now that I've got leverage over him. This car isn't worth $10000.

Chamaco

Re: buyer warning, beware

In other words: DONT BID ON IT!!!! He still hasn't returned it and it is already being auctioned!!!! How dare they!!!! Maybe some one comes way below the bidding limit price and this guy who posted this after bad wrapping the car gets to keep it with no contenders around!!!!! Sounds spooky!!! Or clever...either way...happy bidding.
    Chamaco.-

Some things I have a come across from builders that need a little bit more experience.
    Fuel problem = wrong pump, not enough volume or pressure
    Squeeling and rubber smell = V8 Archie kit with the typical alternator belt problem.
    It looks like the rad is mounted in the front too.
    Always fly and drive before buying a replica.

Jim

Yeah I agree....its just a bunch of minor issues. Car would have been a great price at say....$43,000. a battery is $60 for a nice deepcycle/starter hyrbrid. the belt squeak is most likely worn bearings or like jdinner said, a typical issue with the v8 archie kit. the door sounds like a easy-to-fix stricker problem...

thats $150-$250 worth of repairs so far (depending on the extent of the 'belt squeak' which isnt a big deal IMO.

as for the paint....$3000 for a new spectacular paint job. and by getting it completely repainted, your adding your own personal taste to the appearance of your car...

just my $.02
    -Rob

surely you can fix the window problem. secure the dash. repair whatever it was that was spot welded on. bolt down the wing...etc.

I dont know what to say about the rims though. I wasnt ever a fan of chrome anyway.
    -Rob

Some of you guys must be real optimists. Believe me when I say this car isn't worth $10000. A great deal at $43000 must have been a joke, at that price it should have been a turnkey car. There are many more problems.
    If you trust an engine that is supposed to only have a couple thousand miles on it to only have a belt problem, your crazy. It doesn't start well or stay running. For a vehicle that is as new as this vehicle is supposed to be you shouldn't have any problems with the engine running. Remember your looking at pictures of the car that must have been when it was newer, they sold it back then as well to whoever is trying to get rid of it now. Take a look at the guys feedback. He has alot of positive feedback that turned bad because the buyer must have gave feedback before seeing the car.
    If you can paint a car for $3000 and have a good paint job, good luck with that.

This car had to have been in a major accident in the shape it's in in my garage. You can tell because the paint that was sprayed on it is oversprayed on the weather stripping, the fact that it's 2 different colors and the fact that the body is very wavy. The weather stripping is either missing completely around the door post/window or its glued and screwed to the car. That engine compartment in the pictures are a far cry from what it looks like now. The owner of the dealership admitted he had an appraser lie about the value of the car so I would buy it. He also blamed the delivery driver for wrecking the car, which is hard to believe he had the car repainted and everything else. This dealer is a scam. The delivery driver told me he delivered a couple of cars he found out came from this dealer and they were out of gas and the batteries were dead. If you ask me you don't sell a classic or expensive car and deliver it that way.

I also found out the dealer buys auction vehicles, sometimes in bulk and sells them. He is friends with a couple of salvage/used car dealers who I suspect sell flood damaged vehicle from the south up here in the north.

If you think it's a deal at $43k then buy it, but I'm never going to be a fool like that again. If this dealer is willing to misrepresent this car by checking everything is perfect and only 2 things are just below that, he's lying. What else is he hiding. I would guarantee that this car wouldn't appraise for $10k.

Put it this way the guy who hauled it here hauls alot of cars and he said he was shocked at what I paid and wouldn't have paid $5k for it. The guy that the dealer just sent here to pick up the car wouldn't haul it because of the condition/situation. He said the dealer and broker are both telling them the car is mint. I'm sure because they don't want to be accused of wrecking the car.

If you guys trust all this, your crazy. I still can't get over the comment of "minor things wrong".

Quote Originally Posted by Chamaco
    In other words: DONT BID ON IT!!!! He still hasn't returned it and it is already being auctioned!!!! How dare they!!!! Maybe some one comes way below the bidding limit price and this guy who posted this after bad wrapping the car gets to keep it with no contenders around!!!!! Sounds spooky!!! Or clever...either way...happy bidding.
    Chamaco.-
    Wish that was the case, but it's not and I wouldn't keep this car unless it was sold to me for less than $10k. It will cost thousands to get this car back to the way it once looked and thousands to inspect the engine, frame and other other things, and possibly rebuild or replace it. I don't trust the dealer about anything about this car. The way he is advertising it and the condition it is truely in are drasticly different. I spent years drooling over these cars and finally when I saw this one I couldn't pass it up and called the guy to buy the car after people were bidding bogus bids on it and it didn't sell on ebay. My mistake not going to look at it, but I called the builder and went of the appraisal I was given by the dealer and a so called 3rd party, never again.

dont call me crazy or an idiot. YOUR the one who bought the car before seeing it. its YOUR fault. YOU didnt specify the extent of the damage in your original statement. and I'm already seeing YOU as unintelligable, overly-defensive, common senseless and basically worthless to this forum... I think that ever member on here...or anyone with common sense for that matter, can agree that theres nothing more idiotic than buying a car before seeing it.

not once, in your entire rambling incoherent response, did you once say anything that could possibly be considered useful. I honestly believe this entire forum is that much stupider, now having listened to your arguement. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.
    -Rob

Escalade182, you are a crazy idiot. :

Chamaco

Rob, Dude!
    Don't take it personally. I believe this poor guy really got sacked and is only trying to advise anyone who might fall in his own footsteps. Not all of us here are experts or know diddle about do, but reality is, neither did he say Rob you are Crazy or Rob you are stupid...I believe your response is an over reaction. As you, at some point when you joined, this guy is new in the forum and is sharing an experience as well as trying to fend off bad wrap that does go on about people who build kits and rip others off. Not to say it is a rule of thumb but it does happen...Lets cut the guy some slack...we all have a right to an opinion and to express what we have been through. Forums are to make friends, share info and support those who are doing or trying to do. Lets give the man a hand and loosen up. Just some friendly advice that was not requested, but might add to keep the harmony in this that we call our Kit builder's house.
    Kindest Regards,
    Chamaco