Thread: Scam I almost fell for on Ebay last month

Scam I almost fell for on Ebay last month

Here is the deal..

This 355 was on Ebay and the auction was pulled..Then the seller contacted me after the auction was pulled and tried to sell me the car stating the purchase was still thru ebay ..

Here is the email that was sent to me..It looks like an official ebay email but I sent it to ebay and they never sent it..And the second email was also a fake but sure looks convincing with the purchase protection plan and looking like they both originated from ebay but didnt...
    It was a total scam..I dont know how to post my actual email with the ebay logos and auction looking page that he sent me that was on ebay when it was for sale..So the only way I could post it was to paste the text..

So be carefull of the cars on ebay..Turns out the long time ebay member with perfect feedback named hungrish had his ebay identy stolen and some guy posted a car for sale that you had to be added to a bidding list to bid on the car..He then pulled the auction and contacted people that asked to be added to the bidding list to pull this scam..emails look like they come from ebay customer support and ebay motors customer protection..Notice the email headers..

This is the picture of the the car

1st EMAIL

From : eBay Customer Support <payments@protection-ebaymotors.com>

To : mratcliff@netzero.com

Subject : Safety Board an eBay Company - -buyer protection- - 1998 F355 Replica Fiero

Date : Tue, Apr 11, 2006 12:12 PM

eBay Buyer Protection

Congratulations - You Are Approved To Buy!

Dear mr-ferrari (Mark),
    Congratulations! You are approved to buy.
    At the request of Sean Fontaine, eBay is recording the transaction for item:
    1998 F355 Replica Fiero
    The item was insured by eBay .
    The buyer will be allowed to buy the item when the payment by
    Western Union will be completed.

Please continue with this deal as you both are fully insured against fraud. If something goes wrong, please email us and we will take the needed measures. We will recover the funds.

Item : 1998 F355 Replica Fiero
    Seller: Sean Fontaine (hungirish@inbox.com)
    Buyer: Mark Ratcliff (mratcliff@netzero.com)

1998 F355 Replica Fiero

Seller: hungirish (24)
    Positive Feedback: 100 %
    price: $5,950.00

Item location: Zurich,Switzerland
    Ships to: United States

Sale price: $5,950.00

Quantity: 1

Subtotal: $5,950.00

Shipping & Handling

Other $0.00

Insurance per item: ($5,950.00)

Sales tax: (none)

Ship-to: 20780 Holiday Ave. W
    Lakeville
    MN,55044
    United States
    Payment Instructions
    When the buyer confirms the payment item will be shipped.

EBAY PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS

Subtotal: $5,950.00 (Shipping and Handling included)

Note that you have to send the $ 5,950.00 and as soon as you confirm the payment item will be shipped.

To complete the transaction you have to make the transfer of $5,950.00 using Western Union's Wire Transfer Service to the name of our eBay agent stationed in Europe,Portugal:
    First name: Dorel
    Last name: CANA
    Address:Rua dos Capelistas 85
    City:Braga
    Postal code:4700-307

To make this transfer you have to find a Western Union office near you.Search one: copy and paste this address into your browser's address bar:
    Search one here
    The transfer is paid with cash and you need to have a form of ID when you make it.
    You will also need Dorel Cana's up mentioned name and address so you can address the transfer to him.
    For both parties's safety, you will send the Western Union Transfer Information to eBay.

Please attach a scanned copy of the transfer receipt(if it's possible) or fax it at
    +1 (845) 622-3556.

The following transfer related Information is needed:

Sender's Name
    Sender's Address
    Money Transfer Control Number (the 10 digit code from your transfer receipt)
    Receiver's Name
    Receiver's Address
    Secret Question/Answer **if any

**Note - This is sensitive information. Provide it exactly as filled on the Western Union transfer form.

Our customer support department will check the transfer and if the payment is available we will notify Sean Fontaine to proceed with shipping the merchandise.

We will hold the money until you receive,inspect the up mentioned merchandise and declare it as described by Sean Fontaine.
    Our agent Dorel Cana will forward the payment to Sean Fontaine once we have received your confirmation.

**Note - The transfer information is needed to collect the payment and will be provided ONLY to eBay.
    We will forward the payment to Sean Fontaine after you receive the merchandise and declare it as described by the seller.
    **Note - Should any problem occur to this transaction, you, as the protected/insured part will be 100% refunded and we will further investigate afterwards.

If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with your purchase you can return the product within 30 days of receipt.
    eBay will be unable to process credit for returns without a prior authorization, so please ensure that you follow the Procedure that is outlined below. RMA numbers cannot be extended or reissued.
    The RMA label must be attached to all packages being returned.
    The purchase invoice must be included with the return. If there are multiple packages, a separate copy of the invoice must be included in all packages being returned.
    The return must be sent within 10 days of the issuance of the RMA.
    Any return that fails to meet these guidelines will not be considered a complete return and could be subject to a restocking fee or denial of credit. Excessive, incomplete or costly return patterns may result in termination of purchasing privileges.
    Original shipping and handling charges may not be refundable. You are responsible for shipping and proof of delivery on all returns;therefore, for your protection, we strongly suggest that you fully
    insure the package you are returning and use a traceable carrier that can provide you proof of delivery. If you cannot provide proof of delivery for your return, you will not receive credit for that return.
    As our User Agreement explains, if you are approved buyer on any item, you are expected to honor your approved and are obligated to complete the transaction.
    Our Non-Paying Buyers Policy exists to help us enforce our User Agreement with respect to non-paying approved buyers.
    We will take full measures against persons that will brake the eBay's rules.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Protect your eBay account
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/account_protection.html

eBay will not ask you for sensitive personal information (such as your password, credit card, bank account numbers, etc.) in an email.

This eBay notice was sent based on the request from seller. To be a part of SquareTrade program, click here. As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements. Visit our Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.
    Copyright 1995-2006 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
    Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy

2nd EMAIL -----------------------------------------------------------------------

From : eBay Customer Support <payments@protection-ebaymotors.com>

To : mratcliff@netzero.com

Subject : Payment Invoice for eBay Transaction #1968A92SL

Date : Tue, Apr 11, 2006 12:09 PM

eBay Transaction is confirmed!
    Current status: Payment pending

Find exactly what you are looking for in the eBay Gallery. Now you can search on photos! Check out the Gallery at: http://pages.ebay.com/buy/gallery.html
    Today, eBay is the easiest way to send gifts. You may now send eBay Gift Certificates.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting eBay's Customer Support team!

Per your request, we have verified all the details of this transaction. We concluded that they are accurate. Please follow our instructions on the original notice to complete the transaction safely.

Complete your eBay transaction in 5 easy steps:
    Buyer and seller agree on the transaction terms and a selling price. Seller contacts eBay with the transaction details;
    eBay accepts the transaction and offers purchase protection to the buyer (if the transaction is declined, no further action is required from either the buyer or the seller);
    The buyer sends payment and the eBay agent receives it. After the payment was received, the seller must start the delivery process. The seller has 3 business days to send the buyer and eBay the tracking number of the shipment. If no tracking number is provided, a full refund is immediately sent to the buyer;
    Buyer receives the merchandise and has 15 days to inspect it. If it is complete and as described, the buyer should accept the merchandise. If he refuses the merchandise, the buyer must ship the merchandise back to the seller(the seller stated that he pays for returns) within 15 business days.
    After the inspection period is over, the buyer must contact eBay with the result of the inspection. If the buyer refuses the merchandise, the refund will be sent to the buyer after the tracking number for the returned shipment is verified.

Payment must be sent by: Western Union Money Transfer
    Next step to be taken: The buyer must send the payment to the Ebay employee

It is recommended to send the payment as soon as possible, because your purchase protection is valid for 90 days only. Sending the payment by any other method of payment will void this transaction and your right to refund.

Payment instructions:

To submit the payment with Western Union Money Transfer:

Pay for the transfer with cash at a local Western Union office. Click here to locate the offices in your area http://www.westernunion.com/info/agentInquiryIntl.asp
    Go to one of them and send the payment to the verified name of the eBay employee, available in Netherlands.
    Western Union Money Transfer is the only service that has ultimate authentication of the identity of the receiver of funds. Several IDs and utility bills are required before the funds are paid. Therefore, no one else but the eBay employee can pick up the money. Your payments cannot be lost in the mail, like money orders or checks. Sellers from Europe are not yet eligible for the PayPal Buyer Protection, which means you are not protected against fraud if you pay this seller by PayPal.
    However, Western Union Money Transfer is designed mainly for sending cash to friends and family in need, so telling them you are sending the money to an eBay employee will prevent your money transfer to go through and you will be unable to complete this transaction.

Once the payment was sent, email the seller the following information:

1)MTCN(Money Transfer Control Number,10 digit code):
    2)Exact sender's name on file with Western Union:
    3)Your street address on file with Western Union:
    4)City,zip code and country where you sent the money from:
    5)Exact receiver's name on file with Western Union:
    6)Receiver's street address on file with Western Union:
    7)Receiver's city,zip code and country with Western Union:
    8)Amount sent:
    9)Secret question/answer(if any):

Then wait for the confirmation the payment was received. Within 3 business days, you will receive the tracking number for your merchandise.

Purchase protection and refund:
    Currently, this seller has a $ 10,000.00 deposit in an eBay managed purchase protection account. Transactions with this eBay seller are covered by purchase protection against fraud and description errors. For your safety, this account was locked today, for 90 days time period. The seller is unable to withdraw any money from it, within this period.
    Should you need a refund for this transaction, the insured amount will be taken from the seller's purchase protection account and sent to you. The refund is sent to your bank account, or by check or money order. The way you are refunded is at your choice. You have 90 days from the above verification date to request a refund. Refund requests are processed within 3 days.
    The insurer of this transaction is eBay Inc., located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125, United States of America.
    This transaction is supervised by eBay's SafeHarbor team.

***** CONDITIONS TO BE MET BEFORE YOU MAY ASK FOR A REFUND *****
    Here are the situations suitable for a refund request:
    1) If the item doesn't arrive and/or the seller stops communications after the payment was received;
    2) If the merchandise you receive has different specifications than the ones you agreed on;
    3) If your merchandise arrives in a much longer period than the one you agreed on (more than 15 days from the payment clearance day);
    For cases 2) and 3) you have to send back the merchandise to the seller prior to ask for your refund. If you did not pay the seller by payment method required by us, your refund request will be declined.

Important Usage Guidelines:
    1. The contact information should only be used for resolving matters related to eBay. Any other use is strictly prohibited.
    2. This transaction is protected by eBay services such as insurance, feedback and dispute resolution.
    3. You may buy and sell with confidence in all transactions with this eBay member.
    4. Should you need to dispute this transaction, keep the transaction number at hand when contacting eBay. Any complaints must be filed within 90 days from the verification date.

This e-mail message was sent to you from eBay SafeHarbor team, with the full support of the SquareTrade center

If you encounter any problems with this transaction, please contact us.
    When contacting our support team, use the reply feature so that all previous correspondences are included in your email. Otherwise, we will not be able to process your request.
    To ask for a refund, simply reply to this notification and enter in the subject line:

Refund request for eBay Transaction #1968A92SL

Re: Scam I almost fell for on Ebay last month

Same deal with me. I was notified by E-Bay and I told this guy to take a hike. His wife worked for DHL and they would ship from Europe for free! Yea and I was born at night just not last night. The car was previously for sale for real from a guy in Tampa about 4 months ago. Take care. Bill

Here is the e-mail I received from him/them>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Hi,
    Before i can add you on my pre-approve list i just wanna to let you know the terms of this deal.

Shipping : The car will be shipped from Zurich ,Switzerland & i will cover shipping fees as my wife work for DHL air service , so all you have to pay for this car it's BUY IT NOW price ($5950,00) . Will be shipped with DHL Autos Air Service and you will receive it within 8/11 days tops.DHL will delivery the car at your door.
    Condition : perfect working condition , no damage,no scratches or dents,no hidden defects, and it is as advertised.Is an US model with US specs and will be shipped with CLEAR US TITLE.
    We have recently opened a small business in Zurich , and we moved here. We found out that we have to pay a large amount of money to regist the car here, because it is an US model (which complies with the US emission ) and Europe regulations are different from these ones.
    If you are interested get back to me and i'll let you know terms of this deal.
    Thanks
    Car info:
    Make:Replica/Kit Makes
    Model:F355 Replica Fiero
    Year:1998
    Title:Clear
    Price:5950 US$ shipping included

Walter Reuland [walter_reuland@yahoo.com]

This is the e-mail address I received the details below from.

I found the entire e-mail here it is.

Ok no problem.thanks for your time

Bill Lentz <b.lentz@certifiedinstallationassociates.com> wrote:
    That's ok, but the car isn't. If you get it here I will buy it but not before it is in the US. I am a reputable collector and if you look at this from my perspective I would have no recourse if the vehicle was not in the US. Get it here and I'll buy it. E-Bay had cancelled your listing that bothers me as well. I will have no protection if you don't deliver the car. You may be very honest and probably are but there are to many internet scams and I don't want to be a victim. Take care. Bill Lentz

Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 4:34 PM
    To: b.lentz@certifiedinstallationassociates.com
    Subject: RE: Question for item - Replica/Kit Makes : REPLICA

The car is registered in US

Bill Lentz <b.lentz@certifiedinstallationassociates.com> wrote:
    Thanks for the consideration but I am not interested under any terms in purchasing a vehicle unless it originates from the US, let me rephrase resides in the US.. I am just not comfortable, to bad because the vehicle looks nice. Take care. Bill Lentz

Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 3:01 PM
    To: b.lentz@certifiedinstallationassociates.com
    Subject: RE: Question for item - Replica/Kit Makes : REPLICA

Hi,
    Before i can add you on my pre-approve list i just wanna to let you know the terms of this deal.

Shipping : The car will be shipped from Zurich ,Switzerland & i will cover shipping fees as my wife work for DHL air service , so all you have to pay for this car it's BUY IT NOW price ($5950,00) . Will be shipped with DHL Autos Air Service and you will receive it within 8/11 days tops.DHL will delivery the car at your door.
    Condition : perfect working condition , no damage,no scratches or dents,no hidden defects, and it is as advertised.Is an US model with US specs and will be shipped with CLEAR US TITLE.
    We have recently opened a small business in Zurich , and we moved here. We found out that we have to pay a large amount of money to regist the car here, because it is an US model (which complies with the US emission ) and Europe regulations are different from these ones.
    If you are interested get back to me and i'll let you know terms of this deal.
    Thanks
    Car info:
    Make:Replica/Kit Makes
    Model:F355 Replica Fiero
    Year:1998
    Title:Clear
    Price:5950 US$ shipping included

New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save big

I recieved the same email about wife working at DHL..

I sent him this email

Since the car is no longer listed on EBay ..Is the purchase still covered with eBay protection???

I was wondering why you pulled the listing??? And could you please send me some kind of proof of ownership or proof that you have the car in your possession??..I just want to make sure you really do have the car and it isn't a hoax..And being that the car is located in another country I really do need to be extra carefull..
    I am triple checking with EBay about our transaction..The information I received in these emails seems legitimate but our transaction didn't show up in the "MY EBAY" section of EBay so I am double checking the transaction..

I am going to look for the original genuine e-mail from the guy from Tampa that did in fact own the car. Perhaps he will communicate to me who he sold this car to. It sold for about $12k. That seemed more in line and realistic than some couple that relocated to Switzerland and woud provide free delivery to the US by plane. Those charges alone would exceed their asking price. Then just say his wife did work for DHL, that doesn't mean US Customs coud be avoided. Take care. Bill

I knew the car was to good of a deal to be true and wasnt about to send any money to Portugal for a car that was in another country..
    But it was such a good deal and the emails looked so convincing that I was almost blinded with my greed to own the car..

Were you susposed to send the money to Portugal ??? If that is where the money was going then that is where the con artist must be at..

Its amazing the lengths these scammers go to. If they applied themselves to legal pursuits theyd make as much or more money. I had a run-in with a Real Estate website scammer in a similar situation.
    White Fugazzi Bentley Supersport Convertible GTC