Thread: How much revenue is produced by the kit car industry

How much revenue is produced by the kit car industry

Hi everybody,

I'm doing a paper for class on the auto industry and am breaking it into segments including the kit industry since I love it. I havent been able to find any info on how much money the kit car industry generates on an annual basis...both here in the US and overseas. If anybody can point me in the right direction or has any info I would really appreciate it

Cool site!

Re: How much revenue is produced by the kit car industry

This is a very difficult question to answer. The kit car industry is made up of private, non public, (some times cash only) small companies. This is not a defined industry like a restaurant where a business has to get a license. I can go to my city records office and get a list of all restaurants registered. This is more like asking home much pharmaceuticals are sold each year. Here goes a very bad analogy. The public pharmaceutical companies publish a vast amount of revenue information. Now the non licensed pharmacist (aka illegal drug dealers) are a cash only non tracked entity. There are statics "made up" by the government about how much drugs are sold, but no one knows.

And the term "kit car" is not defined. Does this count hot rods or any car customization? If so, then you can check out SEMA and they will tell you that aftermarket is a billion dollar industry.

Good luck with your investigation and let us know what you find.

Re: How much revenue is produced by the kit car industry

Quote Originally Posted by forza
    Hi everybody,

I'm doing a paper for class on the auto industry and am breaking it into segments including the kit industry since I love it. I havent been able to find any info on how much money the kit car industry generates on an annual basis...both here in the US and overseas. If anybody can point me in the right direction or has any info I would really appreciate it

Cool site!

Exactly $655.23..... that was the sale price of the only new kit ever sold .... purchased by a Mr. Jones in 1967.....it has since been resold 10,867 times and will someday get finished. ;D