Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Diablo style kit opinions

New Diablo style kit opinions

Hello all.

I'm in the process of building a plug for a Diablo VT body. I was planning on doing the '99 style with the fixed headlights. Recently I've been seeing posts on various forums from people looking for more original designs but yet they still want them modelled after existing exotics.
    This got me wondering about going a different route with my plug. I was thinking maybe something similar to below. Definitely recognizable as a Diablo but a lot of body differences.

It's an Affolter GT1 Diablo, pretty rare. It kind of looks like a Diablo/Vector hybrid. I really like it. What do you guys think?Do you think there would be any interest in something along this line, possibly toned down a bit for a little less race car look? I think I'd raise the roof line a few inches too.
    Would I be better off staying with the stock body style? I'd be happy quite with it for my own build but if I'm going to go through all the work of making molds it would be nice to make something I might be able to market that wasn't available from D&R , IFG ,NAERC etc.
    I live in Canada so maybe that wouldn't matter as the majority of their business is in the U.S. Is there much of a market for kits in Canada?
    Sorry for the long post guys. I'd appreciate your opinions as you guys are the builders and buyers and know what's going on in the kit industry. Thanks in advance.

Re:Seeking Diablo kit opinions

Man I love it. So when are you planning on starting the build

Re:New Diablo style kit opinions

Quote Originally Posted by lambofan
    Hello all.

I'm in the process of building a plug for a Diablo VT body. I was planning on doing the '99 style with the fixed headlights. Recently I've been seeing posts on various forums from people looking for more original designs but yet they still want them modelled after existing exotics.
    This got me wondering about going a different route with my plug. I was thinking maybe something similar to below. Definitely recognizable as a Diablo but a lot of body differences.

It's an Affolter GT1 Diablo, pretty rare. It kind of looks like a Diablo/Vector hybrid. I really like it. What do you guys think?Do you think there would be any interest in something along this line, possibly toned down a bit for a little less race car look? I think I'd raise the roof line a few inches too.
    Would I be better off staying with the stock body style? I'd be happy quite with it for my own build but if I'm going to go through all the work of making molds it would be nice to make something I might be able to market that wasn't available from D&R , IFG ,NAERC etc.
    I live in Canada so maybe that wouldn't matter as the majority of their business is in the U.S. Is there much of a market for kits in Canada?
    Sorry for the long post guys. I'd appreciate your opinions as you guys are the builders and buyers and know what's going on in the kit industry. Thanks in advance.
    If you get this monster made, I would love to put it through the Powerhouse to see what kind of interest I would generate
    The Needles Dance, The Gauges Glow,
    As Engine Speed & Heartbeat Grow,
    Gears They Shift 'Neath Anxious Thumbs,
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...
    Formerly: Powerhouse

www.facebook.com/TheCalgaryBatman

beauty... can i photoshop it?

anyone know where to sell a bodypart?

Hey NEED4SPD, I'm building the framework for the plug right now since you asked.

Wedgedriver, photoshop away. If you want to see some more pics check out http://www.lambocars.com/framed/diablo/diablo.htm and look under Affolter GT1 or GTR. Catch you later, Lambofan.

lambofan, do you have any photos of the frame work? what technique are you using to build the plug?

HY what part of Canada do you live in i would love to help in any way i can. leslie@sympatico.ca

Hi spyder1, I live in Prince Edward Island. There are basically no kitcars here in Atlantic Canada except for some cobras . I've seen a few Countach replicas for sale in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick but they are very rare. One of the drawbacks of a small population I guess! What part of Canada are you from?

Glengdmann: I'm using the eggcrate method, still in the early stages though. I'm getting ready to start setting up the station formers tommorow. I got a set of Brian Wolff's VT plans. I was planning on doing a stock body but now I think I'll finish assembling the frame and then modify it for something a bit different. I want to raise the roof at least 2 inches for more headroom and ideally use glass from an existing car if I can find something I can make work. If not I'll probably use AGP glass.
    Catch you later guys.

Hey Lambofan,

There are a few kit cars in Atlantic Canada, Rare but they are there. I have a Countach 25th, I am in Lawrencetown Nova Scotia just outside Halifax / Dartmouth. I have seen 1 or 2 308 kit's locally and the usual Cobra's as well as a huge amount of 34 ford kit's that have showen up recently. I would be interested to hear where these Countach replicas are? That is the one kitcar that I have never seen around here. Although I see a real 5000 Countach quite regularly here. I am very interested in seeing your progress on the Diablo, Please keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by lambofan
    Hi spyder1, I live in Prince Edward Island. There are basically no kitcars here in Atlantic Canada except for some cobras . I've seen a few Countach replicas for sale in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick but they are very rare. One of the drawbacks of a small population I guess! What part of Canada are you from?

Glengdmann: I'm using the eggcrate method, still in the early stages though. I'm getting ready to start setting up the station formers tommorow. I got a set of Brian Wolff's VT plans. I was planning on doing a stock body but now I think I'll finish assembling the frame and then modify it for something a bit different. I want to raise the roof at least 2 inches for more headroom and ideally use glass from an existing car if I can find something I can make work. If not I'll probably use AGP glass.
    Catch you later guys.

Lambofan,
    Are you documenting your progress? I'd love to add you to the sites I'm watching. I'm very interested in building my own body from scratch, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Thanx...

recommended sites:
    http://www.televante.com/
    http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/
    http://www.statikdesign.com/scratchbuilt/
    and the discussion group here: http://www.fiberglast.com/

BTW, Love the new style....
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif