Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best Kit Car?

The Best Kit Car?

Hello Experts

While I recognise that the definition of "best" kit car is extremely subjective, I wondered if the experts on here could help people like me who are considering a project by sharing some of their views on the various criteria that might go to make the "best" kit car.

Would it be possible for us to develop a rating system such as:

Authenticity: i.e. how close to the original car the kit is from 1* (not very) to 5* (perfect)
    Ease of Build: 1* (expert mechanic required) to 5* (someone with no experience but who can follow instructions could do it)
    Donor Car Availability: 1* (as rare as hen's teeth) to 5* (common as muck, easy to source)
    Other Part / Components Availability: (as rare as hen's teeth) to 5* (common as muck, easy to source)
    Manufacturer Support: 1* (they sell you the kit and you're on your own) to 5* (nothing is too much trouble, helpful, professional, friendly people)
    Price (kit only): from 1* (over $30k) to 5* (under - say - $5k)

Depending upon the relative importance of these factors, newbies like me could then decide what weight they want to attach to each factor. For example, some people might not care too much about authenticity so long as the price was cheap enough. Others might want to pay a bit more to get a bit more.

Perhaps one of the moderators could create a poll or something that would allow people to share their views on the scores for different kits?

Re: The Best Kit Car?

the only part of your scoring system that i think is irrelevant is #1.

There are plenty of great kits out there that are not part of the "Copycat" syndrome. There are some real Original designs worthy of being considered and recognised as a great product. The K1 Attack, Myers Manx, Phantom Vortex, The Ultima GTR, Factory Five GTM (controversy over its design originality) just to name a few.

the merging of vehicle designs into one can produce nice ideas but unfortunately there has never been a successful attempt to build or market one.
    The Needles Dance, The Gauges Glow,
    As Engine Speed & Heartbeat Grow,
    Gears They Shift 'Neath Anxious Thumbs,
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...
    Formerly: Powerhouse

www.facebook.com/TheCalgaryBatman

i really do not see how one could really rate a kit, everyone has different skills and exsperince, what might be hard for one person might be cake walk for the next. i might be able to build a chassis right out of my own thoughts, but to do stuff some of these guys do with fiberglass is to me is amazing.

you have to differentiate between a kit car .. and a replica.

Thank you for your comments

RE Powerhouse and Rob 123 comments:

I do agree with both of you that it is important to differentiate between an original design kit car and a replica kit car. I suppose you could say that, by definition, an original design kit car automatically has an authenticity score of 5*. How could it not?! I am considering a replica at the moment, though if I could find an original kit that really moved me I would also consider that. I'll research the list that was provided by Powerhouse as a starting point.

RE cliffscustomfab

You're right, of course, that it is difficult to compare skills and knowledge requirements, particularly across the different disciplines that are required to build a kit. Some tasks require lots of skill but less knowledge, for others it is the other way around. An analogy would be the comparison between two trades: electrician and plasterer / drywaller. An good electrician needs a lot of knowledge but only medium skills whereas a drywaller needs less raw or academic knowledge but has to possess actual skill of a higher order (IMO of course).

Rating the overall skill level to construct a kit will not be perfect but, perhaps, any rating is better then none. Perhaps ease of build could be described in terms of average build time. We shouldn't let the fact that a scoring system might not be perfect prevent us from having a go. Even at a gross level it could be useful from, as I suggested, 5* no prior experience required, or special equipment needed, average handyperson skills would be fine right up to 1* meaning you should probably have completed several builds before, work in the mechanic / auto business, have access to full garage facilities and equipment, etc, etc.

Thank you to everyone for participating

Alastair

Best Kit Car ???
    In the old days (old school) a kit car came with virtually everything from body to weather stripping hence it was a kit. Prolly the easiest and most complete were the dune buggies of that era.
    From there the industry moved to replicas, turnkeys and now its mostly "component" cars and rebodies were by you get bits and pieces with lots of opinions LOL. Just my 2cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerhouse
    I have to admit, this thread has just inspired me!

I have a concept that i could use all of your help. i will come back to this thread once i work out the details. I think it could be fun!
    Dan is this the same concept you and Automx were working on?

Quote Originally Posted by lovef501
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerhouse
    I have to admit, this thread has just inspired me!

I have a concept that i could use all of your help. i will come back to this thread once i work out the details. I think it could be fun!
    Dan is this the same concept you and Automx were working on?
    No this isn't a car but a portal for us kitcar nuts ... somewhat facebookish in style, an on line garage for each member showcasing their vehicle, some features and articles. No plans for a discussion board as this site handles that need pretty well.

And ... an annual Top 10 picks as voted on by anyone who wants to vote. hopefully by the new year i will have everything worked out in time to have everyone nominate and vote for specific categories.

As for the concept that AutoMX was helping me with, it has gone by the wayside, for the past few years I have had my hands tied-up involved in a bigger and more rewarding project. It is automotive related, however I am unable to release any details for the time being. I can assure you when the time comes, I will lift the curtain on this particular endeavour.

After some research I am considering a 360 or 430 replica. The manufacturers seem to be:

DNA
    Extreme
    MR2Kits

MR2 Kits seems like the simplest to build but how authentic do they look?
    DNA looks good but I want a coupe not a spider / convertible
    Extreme looks excellent but donor car harder to find, fairly pricey and looks like a harder build.

Does anyone else have any opinions that they would like to share? I live in Canada so am also wondering if there are any North American manufacturers out there or whether the ultra-litigious US has killed them all off?