Thread: Looking To Purchase Kit: Murciélago, Gallardo or F430

Looking To Purchase Kit: Murciélago, Gallardo or F430

Cheers & Greetings Everyone,

As this is my first post to Mad Mechanics let me start out by saying I greatly appreciate the talent it takes to build a fine replica and hope to gleam as much knowledge as I can from those who have honed and mastered the skills needed to construct a true masterpiece.

In the past I have worked on modest build and restore projects such as the Avenger, the Machiavelli and drum roll please gutted and stretched a 20' Winnebago to 39' 10"

I am posting here today attempting to gain the information needed to make the best informed decisions and purchases I can.

This is going to be a Father & Son project. I am the Son and I am looking to do something really special for my Father.

Regarding the project I am looking to build one of the following three replicas.

Lamborghini Murciélago Roadster

or

Lamborghini Gallardo Roadster

or

Ferrari F430 Spider

Like most people I am looking for the most accurate replica kit. One that is built by a company that pays close attention to dimensions and fit as well as quality of glass work of its kits.

I am also interested in reproducing the cars cockpit/interior. Kit dimensions are once again a big factor.

Regarding power plant I am looking to utilize a GM LS engine taken from a C6 Corvette. What can I say I like V8's

As for what it is built on donor car or custom frame what matters to me is the accuracy of the kit.

I am fortunate enough to have been taught just enough about welding, body work, engine modifications and upholstery work to make a go of any of the three replicas. Once again my hats go off to you that do this on a daily bases.

One of the most important things I have learned in life is learn from others which is why I am posting to this forum.

Whether you are a professional builder or an enthusiast I hope to hear from those of you who have had successful builds.

Give me your suggestions, opinions and warnings.

I want to learn as much as I can before I make a purchase.

Thanks for your anticipated assistance.

Rob

Re: Looking To Purchase Kit: Murciélago, Gallardo or F430

Inland Exotics (951) 343-1800 for LP640 body

Raj

Is ie kit accurate compared to oem?

Quote Originally Posted by Lolme
    there have been a lot of revisions done to make it accurate. plus the quality and finish are second to none. i would rate it in the top two USA 640 kits

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Z
    there have been a lot of revisions done to make it accurate. plus the quality and finish are second to none. i would rate it in the top two USA 640 kits
    what would the other kit be?

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your build! I'll give you my 2 cents:

Chassis - if you want an LS engine in your car, you have 2 options - Fiero chassis or a tube chassis. A kit from www.v8Archie.com or similar will adapt the engine to a Fiero. The tube chassis adds more cost, complications, and build time, but a more desireable finished product. I personally would not go that route.
    I do not know of a kit to fit an LS to a Toyota MR2.

Gallardo - there are a few in the works, but none that I've seen finished. They may be off the radar, as an attempt to avoid legal troubles with Audi. Here's a build diary for one:
    http://www.madmechanics.com/build-di...y-starts-here/
    Note that this is on an MR2 chassis. I can't recall the kit manufacturer, but know that ease of build took priority over accuracy, which is not a criticism in my book!

Murcielago - for true accuracy, there are 2 choices - Extreme (based on an MR2) or Air Dynamics- http://lp640.com/ Both are molded from the real car. Extreme's is based on an MR2, and is not the LP640 version. AD, as far as i know, is just panels, you choose the chassis/donor and make it fit.
    Less accurate, but cheaper is the Mercy2 from CarKitInc.com.

430 - DnaAutoworks.com (www.dnaautomotive.com if you're in the UK) or mr2kits.co.uk both are based on MR2 donors (the latter is a coupe), and as such the wheelbase is a few inches short of the real thing, but they make good cars that would fool 95% of the general public. Both are designed for short build times.

Of course, there may be more that I'm not aware of.

Thanks for the info so far. I have been tied up with work and unable to reply. For awhile there I thought no one was going to respond to my post.

Anyway I hope to have some time to look over the information provided so far this weekend and then will be back to post more.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by RHK
    Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your build! I'll give you my 2 cents:

Chassis - if you want an LS engine in your car, you have 2 options - Fiero chassis or a tube chassis. A kit from www.v8Archie.com or similar will adapt the engine to a Fiero. The tube chassis adds more cost, complications, and build time, but a more desireable finished product. I personally would not go that route.
    I do not know of a kit to fit an LS to a Toyota MR2.

Gallardo - there are a few in the works, but none that I've seen finished. They may be off the radar, as an attempt to avoid legal troubles with Audi. Here's a build diary for one:
    http://www.madmechanics.com/build-di...y-starts-here/
    Note that this is on an MR2 chassis. I can't recall the kit manufacturer, but know that ease of build took priority over accuracy, which is not a criticism in my book!

Murcielago - for true accuracy, there are 2 choices - Extreme (based on an MR2) or Air Dynamics- http://lp640.com/ Both are molded from the real car. Extreme's is based on an MR2, and is not the LP640 version. AD, as far as i know, is just panels, you choose the chassis/donor and make it fit.
    Less accurate, but cheaper is the Mercy2 from CarKitInc.com.

430 - DnaAutoworks.com (www.dnaautomotive.com if you're in the UK) or mr2kits.co.uk both are based on MR2 donors (the latter is a coupe), and as such the wheelbase is a few inches short of the real thing, but they make good cars that would fool 95% of the general public. Both are designed for short build times.

Of course, there may be more that I'm not aware of.

Good write up on describing the popular kits out there. One other thing I would add for the DNA kits is that they are probably one of the easyest kits to assemble from what I have seen. They have really gone the extra mile to offer a kit that is totally complete. All you need is primer and paint to finish it. They really engineered it very well and have great customer support. The downside is that it is based on an MR2. with a 4 banger motor, Noticeably smaller windscreen that is out of proportion to the body design and shorter wheelbase. Although I must say they hide the wheelbase difference very well by designing the body as they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Z
    what would the other kit be?
    1.AD LP640
    2.INLAND EXOTICS LP640.