Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 458 donor?

458 donor?

Weve finished the 458 cad work and i am now trying to base it on the best worldwide available donor
    any suggestions?
    cant be a usa only car so no dodge,chrysler,us ford, etc,
    Porsche cayman is one weve looked at but reckon we would go with the boxster in preferance as it is the same bar the roof and weve worked on a spyder version of the 458 having a metal folding roof as i reckon thats what will happen to the real car
    others considered vauxhall vx220/lotus elise
    toyota celica 2000 on

were not going to use the mr2 this time as were struggeling to find lhd donors for the cars were building and shipping out to yemen/unite arab emirates etc... as we can only get rhd in the uk and getting them over from germany is hard as the pound to euro make them a 6,000 donor not a 3500 one for a rhd car.

so come on guys suggestions please

Re: 458 donor?

How about a 93-98 Chevy Camaro? ;D

That I think is a reasonable donor for a design such as the 458.

300zx Nissan

Quote Originally Posted by enzodesign

were not going to use the mr2 this time as were struggeling to find lhd donors for the cars were building and shipping out to yemen/unite arab emirates etc... as we can only get rhd in the uk and getting them over from germany is hard as the pound to euro make them a 6,000 donor not a 3500 one for a rhd car.

I have plenty of LHD Jap cars I can sell you much cheaper than your German buddies...

Take your pick: MR2, MR2 Turbo, 300ZXs and Turbos, 240SX Infinity G35, Lexus etc.....All of them in NY and all of them running and driving!

P.S. You pay for shipping anywhere you wish!
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Weve finished the 458 cad work and i am now trying to base it on the best worldwide available donor
    any suggestions?
    Porsche cayman is one weve looked at but reckon we would go with the boxster in preferance as it is the same bar the roof and weve worked on a spyder version of the 458 having a metal folding roof as i reckon thats what will happen to the real car
    toyota celica 2000 on

I vote for either the Celica mk7 (2000 on) or the Boxster. Should be a car that is available in both LHD and RWD.

Quote Originally Posted by conan
    any suggestions?
    toyota celica 2000 on

I vote for either the Celica mk7 (2000 on) or the Boxster. Should be a car that is available in both LHD and RWD.
    I second that! Cayman or Boxster preferably for coupe or convertible, respectively, because extremely satisfactory performance and handling will be available already. Second choice would be 2000+ Celica due to being cheap and available but with higher miles (not to mention front engine).

Don't know if it's just me but when I owned a boxster a few million years ago, I was always scared stupid that the damn thing would break down once it was out of warranty. Seeing the cost of some of the repairs done under warranty was enough for me to sell it before it ran out.

I know it's been done so many times before but there often is a reason... The mk 2 mr2 is cheap as chips here in the US and you can ship cars to the UK for $750 as long as they run and your willing to wait while they float over. They are over 10 years old so don't need an SVA so all you need is a good knowledgable car dealer contact over here. There are a couple on this board. PM me and I will get you in contact with one of them if you want.

As for suggesting the VX220, I don't think you will find many of those to convert but if you know of a supply of reasonable LHD turbo versions - maybe even the non turbo, I would like to know as there is a brilliant market for them here in the US if you can work out how to legally ship them in!

you miss the point
    from england i can source european cars easily, no import duty, no tax, hence no usa as we ship onto the arab states mainly, again no usa!!!
    but the toyota is not an easily available eu car and when we can find them the pound to euro hurts
    hence the boxster and as in the californication the bm z4
    whilst i love the market the reality of commerce matters
    i am looking for donors i have not considered
    a mk2 mr2 is not for me
    i chase new models, new technology, and safe transportation, our kits and core business survive because we do not cut the floorpan, our parts refit to original mounts so we do not fall foul of iva etc and the eu equivilant, unlike some other manufactures who say they do not need it.
    the first car is being built on a genuine 360 as the law stands i can build 4 before i suffer potential infringement, but i can build 4 more on a mazda mx5!

good luck to all

hey turmite/mike how did you get on with the tech secrets?

you miss the point
    from england i can source european cars easily, no import duty, no tax, hence no usa as we ship onto the arab states mainly, again no usa!!!
    but the toyota is not an easily available eu car and when we can find them the pound to euro hurts
    hence the boxster and as in the californication the bm z4
    whilst i love the market the reality of commerce matters
    i am looking for donors i have not considered
    a mk2 mr2 is not for me
    i chase new models, new technology, and safe transportation, our kits and core business survive because we do not cut the floorpan, our parts refit to original mounts so we do not fall foul of iva etc and the eu equivilant, unlike some other manufactures who say they do not need it.
    the first car is being built on a genuine 360 as the law stands i can build 4 before i suffer potential infringement, but i can build 4 more on a mazda mx5!

good luck to all

hey turmite/mike how did you get on with the tech secrets?
    Hey enzo,

My wife's cancer came back and I am been too busy taking care of her to worry about much else. Are you going to carve negatives of this one?

Mike

and as in the californication the bm z4
    but i can build 4 more on a mazda mx5!
    Wait, you're working on a California kit for the older model Z4 ? This I'd LOVE to know more about! It's the perfect donor, IMHO. Can you PM me more info please ? None is presently available on your website.

Also, there is a possibility you will be making four 458 kits for Mazda MX-5 ? This is interesting as well.

Thank you, and keep up the good work !