Thread: kit construction

kit construction

hey i was wondering for all you guys building your first kit, (or others who remember theirs) what parts of the construction have ended up being the most confusing or hard? what sort of things have you had to get done professionally? also, what kind of surprise costs have come up? are there any special skills youve had to learn or use like welding, etc?
    my school has a welding class, and an auto body class, which will both be my top choices for next year. btw, id especially like to hear from you euroworks kit builders, since i would like to build a mirage K some day.

thanks, eric

Re:kit construction

Eric,
    Each type of car will have thier own set of problems to overcome. I am in the process of building my first kit a 355 spyder. I would think that on almost all kits, you will need to have some good welding skills. On my kit, the biggest problem has been the doors. On my 355 the doors are actually 2 sepperate pieces and this makes the assembly a little tricky. Best advice I can give right now is to learn what you can upfront and then just jump into the project. As you get stuck, there are many people on here that will help you work throught it.

Good luck!!

thanks, what kind of welding tools would i need to do the welding? Do you have to figure out the places to weld on your own or will the kit instructions tell you? Another question i had was would i need a jack/lift? My main problem would be that I dont have a usable garage.....my dad is a woodworker so he takes up the whole garage for his shop would one of those portable garages work if i bought one (like on http://www.coverit.com/)? thanks, eric

just to mention, theres a garage on coverit.com made for workshops is that the kind of thing i would need?

I dont want to sound to disuraging,but do you have any experince with working on cars?First off,they dont give you instructions.second,you will spend more money on tools than if you went ahead and paid someone to build your kit.Just the weilder will set you back $2000.00.

Sorry to bust your bubble bondo bob. But a mig welder at home depot ranges from $300.00 to $400.00 usd at most. Althought I will agree if you haven't worked on cars before Ya you might be able to aford the tools but can you afford the mistakes that will be made. A little food for thought.

boarderguy,
    I started my kit outside until I could clean out my tiny one car garage. The workspace is important as the more room you have the easier it is to move around, work nad also store parts. Not saying it cant be done in a tiny space (just ask me) but it does make it toughter.

I will have to agree NEEd4spd on the welder cost. I think I paid around $400.00 for my welder.

If your still in school I would also take Plastics and Electronics Includeing the welding and Autobody (does this class also cover Automotive repar?) they will all be benificial in your kit car construction.....
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!