Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about getting pulled over in a replica car

question about getting pulled over in a replica car

I was thinking about it for a kit car on a fiero frame according to the title and your registation/plates its a fiero but its a lambo or whatnot. So my question is anyone ever been pulled over and had any problems? Looking at it in the cops point of view plates say its a fiero but he sees a lambo so he will think fake plates or stolen car. Which then leads me to my next question is there a way to prevent any confusion?

Re: question about getting pulled over in a replica car

carry build photos of the car along side the insurance, only proof you got that it was a fiero

even if you have a real lambo,the cops think it's a Fiero KIT CAR.

As a former cop my .02 worth is that most of them understand at least in general terms what a kit car is in the bigger cities, I was a deputy marshall in San Antonio. Now out here in the sticks of Mississippi you may find a few that will not.

My advice is to inform the officer as soon as he approaches your window that it is a replica/kit car and what type of vehicle it will come back as either on his data terminal or from the dispatcher. Better to hear it from you up front.

All this being said I have been out of that type of uniform for about 8 years now.....so if there are current officers here by all means chime in on this.

michael
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

I think this applies nationwide because these are Federal mandates, But the NY state penal law is written this way... Basically you cant touch the VIN plate, You are not allowed to remove it, Reapply it, cover it up, move its location unless you are the Vehicle Manufacturer Or the DMV. In this case it would be pontiac that can move the VIN or the NYS DMV.

Another thing to keep in mind is the Federal Safety Inspection sticker on the drivers door. Theres a lot more leniency on this sticker because there are situations that you replaced a door, or the car was in an accident. But again you cant put those faulty federal inspection safety stickers on the door that some here make because again you are committing a felony. You pretty much have to have a clear door on these kits with no stickers with VINs.

Quote Originally Posted by F40 LM

As a former cop my .02 worth is that most of them understand at least in general terms what a kit car is in the bigger cities, I was a deputy marshall in San Antonio. Now out here in the sticks of Mississippi you may find a few that will not.

My advice is to inform the officer as soon as he approaches your window that it is a replica/kit car and what type of vehicle it will come back as either on his data terminal or from the dispatcher. Better to hear it from you up front.

All this being said I have been out of that type of uniform for about 8 years now.....so if there are current officers here by all means chime in on this.

michael
    So as a former cop, would you be more suspicious or more impressed that someone made a kit out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by realizhymn
    Quote Originally Posted by F40 LM

michael
    So as a former cop, would you be more suspicious or more impressed that someone made a kit out of it?
    Overall.. usually...impressed. But keep in mind every circumstance is different. Cops are hesitant to make 'blanket' statements. Depends to a certain extent on if the 'spider sense' goes off more than anything else. If you have any big concerns take prototypes advice and keep some build pics in the car. But I have yet to hear of anyone getting into BIG TROUBLE with the cops with a kit car. Of course now that I have said that we will have about 20 horror stories pop up on this thread to 'prove' me wrong in five minutes flat.

michael
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

im a current police officer, nypd and I have stopped a couple of NICE lambos and 355's in the past.

i ask for license and registration, on the reg is the vin, i look at the window and check the vin. i take a look around and thats it.

no big worries.

just say its a kit car officer, which one guy told me and that was it.

dont dwell on it too much, its not a big deal.

I was pulled over once,and my car came up as a red Pontiac,and now its a white Fearri.the cop asked me what the deal was,and I just told him that it was a rebody.I still have the oem interior,and he looked at the car and said "nice job" and told me to get the color changed on the regestration to white instead of red.and everything was ok

Quote Originally Posted by BondoBob
    I was pulled over once,and my car came up as a red Pontiac,and now its a white Fearri.the cop asked me what the deal was,and I just told him that it was a rebody.I still have the oem interior,and he looked at the car and said "nice job" and told me to get the color changed on the regestration to white instead of red.and everything was ok
    Off topic, but do you have any photos of your car? It was Daves old body correct?