Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: question about getting pulled over in a replica car

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5

    question about getting pulled over in a replica car

    I was thinking about it for a kit car on a fiero frame according to the title and your registation/plates its a fiero but its a lambo or whatnot. So my question is anyone ever been pulled over and had any problems? Looking at it in the cops point of view plates say its a fiero but he sees a lambo so he will think fake plates or stolen car. Which then leads me to my next question is there a way to prevent any confusion?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    746

    Re: question about getting pulled over in a replica car

    carry build photos of the car along side the insurance, only proof you got that it was a fiero

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    251

    Re: question about getting pulled over in a replica car

    even if you have a real lambo,the cops think it's a Fiero KIT CAR.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    914

    Re: question about getting pulled over in a replica car


    As a former cop my .02 worth is that most of them understand at least in general terms what a kit car is in the bigger cities, I was a deputy marshall in San Antonio. Now out here in the sticks of Mississippi you may find a few that will not.

    My advice is to inform the officer as soon as he approaches your window that it is a replica/kit car and what type of vehicle it will come back as either on his data terminal or from the dispatcher. Better to hear it from you up front.

    All this being said I have been out of that type of uniform for about 8 years now.....so if there are current officers here by all means chime in on this.

    michael
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Faker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    910

    Re: question about getting pulled over in a replica car

    I think this applies nationwide because these are Federal mandates, But the NY state penal law is written this way... Basically you cant touch the VIN plate, You are not allowed to remove it, Reapply it, cover it up, move its location unless you are the Vehicle Manufacturer Or the DMV. In this case it would be pontiac that can move the VIN or the NYS DMV.

    Another thing to keep in mind is the Federal Safety Inspection sticker on the drivers door. Theres a lot more leniency on this sticker because there are situations that you replaced a door, or the car was in an accident. But again you cant put those faulty federal inspection safety stickers on the door that some here make because again you are committing a felony. You pretty much have to have a clear door on these kits with no stickers with VINs.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    343

    Re: question about getting pulled over in a replica car

    Quote Originally Posted by F40 LM

    As a former cop my .02 worth is that most of them understand at least in general terms what a kit car is in the bigger cities, I was a deputy marshall in San Antonio. Now out here in the sticks of Mississippi you may find a few that will not.

    My advice is to inform the officer as soon as he approaches your window that it is a replica/kit car and what type of vehicle it will come back as either on his data terminal or from the dispatcher. Better to hear it from you up front.

    All this being said I have been out of that type of uniform for about 8 years now.....so if there are current officers here by all means chime in on this.

    michael
    So as a former cop, would you be more suspicious or more impressed that someone made a kit out of it?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    914

    Re: question about getting pulled over in a replica car

    Quote Originally Posted by realizhymn
    Quote Originally Posted by F40 LM

    As a former cop my .02 worth is that most of them understand at least in general terms what a kit car is in the bigger cities, I was a deputy marshall in San Antonio. Now out here in the sticks of Mississippi you may find a few that will not.

    My advice is to inform the officer as soon as he approaches your window that it is a replica/kit car and what type of vehicle it will come back as either on his data terminal or from the dispatcher. Better to hear it from you up front.

    All this being said I have been out of that type of uniform for about 8 years now.....so if there are current officers here by all means chime in on this.

    michael
    So as a former cop, would you be more suspicious or more impressed that someone made a kit out of it?
    Overall.. usually...impressed. But keep in mind every circumstance is different. Cops are hesitant to make 'blanket' statements. Depends to a certain extent on if the 'spider sense' goes off more than anything else. If you have any big concerns take prototypes advice and keep some build pics in the car. But I have yet to hear of anyone getting into BIG TROUBLE with the cops with a kit car. Of course now that I have said that we will have about 20 horror stories pop up on this thread to 'prove' me wrong in five minutes flat.

    michael
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

  8. #8
    Senior Member giveitup2me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    342

    Re: question about getting pulled over in a replica car

    im a current police officer, nypd and I have stopped a couple of NICE lambos and 355's in the past.

    i ask for license and registration, on the reg is the vin, i look at the window and check the vin. i take a look around and thats it.

    no big worries.

    just say its a kit car officer, which one guy told me and that was it.

    dont dwell on it too much, its not a big deal.

  9. #9
    Senior Member BondoBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    564

    Re: question about getting pulled over in a replica car

    I was pulled over once,and my car came up as a red Pontiac,and now its a white Fearri.the cop asked me what the deal was,and I just told him that it was a rebody.I still have the oem interior,and he looked at the car and said "nice job" and told me to get the color changed on the regestration to white instead of red.and everything was ok

  10. #10
    Senior Member DeLorean00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,573

    Re: question about getting pulled over in a replica car

    Quote Originally Posted by BondoBob
    I was pulled over once,and my car came up as a red Pontiac,and now its a white Fearri.the cop asked me what the deal was,and I just told him that it was a rebody.I still have the oem interior,and he looked at the car and said "nice job" and told me to get the color changed on the regestration to white instead of red.and everything was ok
    Off topic, but do you have any photos of your car? It was Daves old body correct?

Similar Threads

  1. Getting pulled over?
    By mr2lambo in forum Consumer Opinions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 01:19 PM
  2. Must see! Man get's pulled from under burning car
    By caligula in forum General Kitcar Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2011, 11:42 PM
  3. mr2 f430 replica question on how to install a part and replica roof
    By Replica_Happy in forum Technical Discussion & Question
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 07:20 PM
  4. OEM pulled Egear plate and Trim ring!
    By Jets303 in forum The Mall
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 11:40 PM
  5. Anyone pulled apart a fiero steering column?
    By derwin in forum Technical Discussion & Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 06:34 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •