Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cost of an Murcielago Kit

The cost of an Murcielago Kit

Im about to start my first kit car build and from what I understand it gonna be costly and difficult. I am planing on ordering the Murci 2 package from Car Kit Inc. I have read mixed reviews about thier products; however my build is on a budget and i do understand i get what i pay for. Are there any other suggestions for kits? I already have a decent fiero that i have begun to strip down. As far as the build goes how much should expect to be spending on parts minus the body and car for an average build (I dont plan on using OEM parts. Exact replication is not my concern)?

Re: The cost of an Murcielago Kit

less body/donor good 50 Big Ones.

50 thousand is an honest estimate unless you do most of the work yourself. I mean 90 percent of the work yourself. 35 is about right if you know what you are doing.

My suggestion to you is to take a long hard look at what you want and then create a realistic budget. Whatever you come up with for the cost of parts, double it at a min. For cost reasons is good that you do not plN on using OEM parts as they add up fast. I have over 10k invested in OEM parts for my 355 and they cost about 1/2 as much as the lambos. What typically happens is you start off with one vision on your project and then it changes causing costly rework or the budget gets tossed out the window. Lastly, lambos are a difficult kit especially for your first one. If you don't have the skills yourself such as mechaicals, electrical, fiberglassing, welding etc then find friends who can do those who are willing to help. The cost of paying someone else to do most of the work will cost you more then the cost of the kit and all it'd components. That all being said, start a build diary and ask for help as often as you need it. There are a lot of experienced builders on this site!! By the way, I noticed that was your first post, welcome to the site.

Oh wow i expexted the build to be nearly 25,000 plus body and donar car. Its great how thier website says you can comple a whole kit for just "$12000" . Would the ferrari 355 be a more budget friendly build? Or would it be better to purchase a kit thats half built?

f355 are hard to come by now, as an experinced builder i would def tell you to do your research, there are no directions and sooo many options that 50,000.00 is pretty realistic

The AD355 kit is still in production. And I agree with everything stated above. These are not cheap toys. The Lambos are not good first kits. I am not saying that people have not built them on their first try, but most have not. The rebodies are easier and will still be a lot of work. The 356, or AD355 would be good first kits. Contact Bartman for the AD355.

When I got into this about four years ago I thought about a Mercy for about two minutes until I saw how complex the build was. I do plan it now as my next one once I finish the F40 with LM style. The Car Kit site does not justify how hard these are to build, just the doors and glass are a build by itself.

Before I found this F40 kit I was leaning towards the 355 Mirage kit. Non-stretch for the feiro. This is Funnywheels 1 built by Dave Newman. Very nice car for a no-stretch rebody. Is the AD a stretch build guys?

michael
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by F40 LM
    When I got into this about four years ago I thought about a Mercy for about two minutes until I saw how complex the build was. I do plan it now as my next one once I finish the F40 with LM style. The Car Kit site does not justify how hard these are to build, just the doors and glass are a build by itself.

Before I found this F40 kit I was leaning towards the 355 Mirage kit. Non-stretch for the feiro. This is Funnywheels 1 built by Dave Newman. Very nice car for a no-stretch rebody. Is the AD a stretch build guys?

michael
    The AD can be molded as stretch or non-stretch. I don't recommend the spider unless you are very committed. John designed the kit to be built as a coupe. Spider is feasible (like Funnywheels) but the panels for the spider are not modified to fit the fiero.

In my opinion........it might be best to look for a "used" kit or one that has been partially completed. Maybe someone out there bought a brand new kit, never did anything with it, and has now decided to sell. Or, one that someone has started the project and has a lot of the major work already done, but needs to sell now. I have ran across a number of deals like this recently and some are priced very attractively. However, you need to do your "homework" and research beforehand. You need to be able to assess what will be needed to take the car to "finish" and be able spot poor quality work or something that is unsafe. It will cost you A LOT more if you have to undo someone's work and redo it!