Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with project for newbie?

Help with project for newbie?

Hi guys,
    I am new to this forum, retired a few years and looking for a next project.
    My last few projects have been radio controlled model airplanes. The way I have done them, they typically take over two years and upward of 1500 hours. My garage ceiling is now full of elaborate model airplanes.
    It occurs to me that I could build a running automobile for that kind of commitment. I have a long-time association with automotive body design, before I retired in 2006.
    My interest is to explore the possibility of building a mid-engined car, with my own body design and maybe a motorcycle engine for power. It would be strictly for the street.
    I have looked at a lot of stuff on the web and am intrigued with running chassis from the Silva Riot and the Fury Menace, to the new Sterling mid-engined chassis.
    I want a very small vehicle, a roadster and I am very limited financially.
    First of all, is this the best forum for me or are there other ones more into what I am talking about? After all, I have no interest in Italian lookalike replicars - nothing wrong with them but they are way too much money and not where I am coming from.
    I will have lots of other questions regarding licensing in California, build costs, chassis issues, etc. but first it would be good to find the right group of people/forum.
    I am mechanically inclined but not in the sense of working on my cars. I can’t even remember changing my oil… I do have body design skills that might be worth swapping for mechanical work. I might consider a joint project with the right person or shop.
    Thanks for listening,
    Allan

Re: Help with project for newbie?

where in california are you?

I live in San Diego. I also spend some time in the Phoenix area.

Here's a cimbria kit, it looks like a good deal just needs engine its not mine nor do I know the guy, its Little far from San Diego though. Is this the type of car you are looking for in general?

http://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/1575087868.html

The Sterling is still my favorite kit car. I installed a Subaru in my Sterling and it fits perfectly. Plus, you can still find Sterlings in great shape for little money.

Sterling Forum.
    http://www.sterlingkitcars.com

I also like the idea of the motocycle engine. The big downside, is that it is not legal for smog controlled cars.

lovef501, that isn't really what I am thinking of. I would have to tear off and toss the body and I doubt if it has a chassis I would like. It is probably a VW under there. I would assume it is rear engine package, not mid. The price is certainly low but that throws up some red flags about that particular car.
    The Cimbria looks like it has the same basis body as the Sterling??
    The Sterling mid-engine chassis shown on their website at http://www.sterlingsportscars.com/in...id-engine.html is very interesting looking. I suspect it is awfully big though. I am hoping for a rather small car overall.
    Brastic, is your Subura in the mid-engined chassis or what?
    Is there any solution to make a California legal bike powered vehicle? Maybe I should forget that idea. Reverse gear is also an issue.
    And thanks for those links, guys

One great photo on the Sterling site provided by Brastic is this side view of the mid-engined tubular chassis. Although it is still a fairly big vehicle, it is appealing. Maybe I will do some sketches over this to see what might be possible.
    Anybody else wants to sketch over this, knock yourself out.
    Last edited by aflo; 09-16-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Here is a rough sketch over the photo, an attempt to begin to see what might be possible with this chassis.
    Last edited by aflo; 09-16-2012 at 07:03 PM.

another one...
    Last edited by aflo; 09-16-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Allan;

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your build dream.

I would say you have come to the right place to start anyway as we all have opinions and some have extensive experience in building cars from the frame up. The one thing I like about this forum is that most of us are willing to use our knowledge and help others sort stuff out with suggestions.

You might want to have a look at the graber cars as well. He built a mid engine frame for the car to sit on and the car is quite small as well. Might be another option for you to investigate.

www.grabercars.com

Cheers and good luck.

Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV