Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MR355 replica vs. Extreme 355 replica

MR355 replica vs. Extreme 355 replica

Which one is better? I know the Extreme 355 kit is suppose to be the best but I've seen some nice shots of the MR355 kit. MR355 offers a one piece hardtop, swivel mirrors and a few other things. Anybody have an opinion on either one or both?

Re: MR355 replica vs. Extreme 355 replica

Man your opening up a can of worms!!! LOL
    Let's just say, the each have their advantages and disadvantages.
    strong points, and weak points.
    BOTH are really good kits though, for sure.
    It comes down to personal preference and budget.
    Blonde, or Brunette?
    Yeah, it's one of those kinda things. ;D

What about quality of the kits. One better then the other?

they are both very high quality kits.
    The biggest difference is that amount of work required in putting them together, one is way easier for the first timer, and less expensive, but the other has better attention to detail (or so I've been told) but is more expensive too.
    there are build diaries for both types of kits on this forum, check them out and see where your personal preference lies, because that is what it's going to boil down to anyway.
    Good luck.

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty finding a build diary for the MR355. Found one for Extreme 355 but the build stops abruptly.

Hi,
    I have built an Extreme kit for a customer of mine at the time and it was a great build compared to some.The worst by far being the Rock kit originally from IFG in the states, a nightmare. There are plus points for both according to budget,skills etc. there are some other 355 kits like Exact replicas and there is a build dairy about it.Best of luck on your choice and with the build. Cheers

i like the B.A.D 355 kit (UK) if its still available can anyone confirm this?

Funny you mention the Rock kit, one on Ebay for sale right now. I can see why you say it's the worst.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...item2c538c45bf

I take it you're in the UK, so that leaves the US makers out.

What you need to decide first is:
    A) Do you demand accuracy over ease of build
    OR
    B) You need something you KNOW you'll have the skills and funds to be able to finish, and as long as it looks good, you are willing to sacrifice a little accuracy.

The Davy Jones 355 (I believe this is also called the MR355 kit) is the simplest to build, and rather affordable too. It does make some sacrifices as far as detail, but not many, and over all looks great.

The Extreme kit is Very accurate, but the build may be beyond your skill set, patience, and or, funds. It is one of the more expensive kits, but it looks very good.

The Exact 355 I don't know much about, but there is a build on the forum for one. The builder is also building a Yellow Gallardo. ("Gallardo build starts here" thread, I believe)

WHAT TO LOOK FOR:
    Dead giveaways for replicas are
    1. if it doesn't have separate rocker panels. ie, the door and rockers are one piece.
    2. Check the size of the header bar in between the bumper and headlights/hood, it should NOT be
    more than about 3 finger widths wide all the way across. Wider than this, screams "KIT CAR!!!!!"
    3. Separate panels are good. all one piece front clip or rear clip detract from the accuracy, but if
    it's hidden well it is not too bad.
    4. The size and depth of the side scoops are the biggest tell tale sign. Too shallow, or too small,
    eh, maybe, but if they are too skinny AND too small, avoid it as it will also shout "KIT CAR!!!"
    5. Tail lights. Should be able to use OEM. If they are flush mounted or worse, recessed, avoid it, or
    modify it yourself.