Thread: Enjoi: Released teflon Skived mold tape

Enjoi: Released teflon Skived mold tape

To all those that were interested and contacted me about the tape I was using on the aileron project, here is a link to the product.

http://www.findtape.com/shop/product...189&height=702

Although I use a different vendor, that link will provide all of the information on the tape... it is a fantastic product, very highly recommended! If any of you have any questions about it (uses or how to's) please don't hesitate to ask and I'll do a product review with pictures so that you all get an idea of how the product can be used.

PS. MacGyver... I will be going over vacuum bagging tricks and tips so that you won't have to learn the hard way (trial and error).

Re: Enjoi: Released teflon Skived mold tape

Thanks very much Enjoi;

I went to the site and checked out 2"x18 yards and it was $67.99 a roll and $59.49 a roll if you buy a case. 4" is $132.53 a roll. Not cheap by any stretch but if it works as well as you say, I think it is worth it.

I use furnace ducting aluminum tape quote often for my molding and it works very well but it will sometimes leave glue residue from the curing heat that I end up having to clean off.

Thanks and I am looking forward to your molding techniques series. I have done lots of molding of parts for my build but I am sure I am doing a lot of stuff wrong with it. I look forward to seeing how to do it right.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Thanks very much Enjoi;

I went to the site and checked out 2"x18 yards and it was $67.99 a roll and $59.49 a roll if you buy a case. 4" is $132.53 a roll. Not cheap by any stretch but if it works as well as you say, I think it is worth it.

I use furnace ducting aluminum tape quote often for my molding and it works very well but it will sometimes leave glue residue from the curing heat that I end up having to clean off.

Thanks and I am looking forward to your molding techniques series. I have done lots of molding of parts for my build but I am sure I am doing a lot of stuff wrong with it. I look forward to seeing how to do it right.

Cheers
    Don
    I also tried plastic adhesive used for carpet protection. It did not leave any residue when removed but lifted and buckled when the gellcoat was applied to it. Epoxy resin would probably work although I did not try it.

Enjoi was nice enough to send me a sample of the Skived tape. I wanted to share my experiences with the rest of the forum.

I did a test on a few different types of materials to see how this product preformed.

Attached Images Attached Images    

As you can see by the above photo. When you first pull it off the roll it has the tendency to curl. So patience is a virtue in order to lay it down flat on to your part. On the plus side is that it is stretchy. So it conforms around curves well.

Pollyester resin was applied directly to the face of the tape. wax or mold release is not needed at all.
    This tape leaves no residue behind and does not appear to be affected by the heat generated by the resin during the cure process.

I would highly recommenced this tape for anyone that has a special rare part that needs to be protected.

The only fault I could find with this product would be the curling when you pull it from the roll. You just need to take your time.

I had also tried carpet protection film which I purchased from Lowes. The first time I used it I was disappointed that it buckled and lifted from the part I was copying due to the heat of the resin during curring. The next time I tried it I placed a fan in front of it to keep the resin cooler while it was curring. That did the trick and it worked very well. just like the Skived tape, no residue left behind and it is very stretchy to conform to your part. The drawbacks of this product is keeping it from sticking to itself when pulling from the roll and you need to coat it with something like wax before applying your resin and like I said you need to keep it cool at all times otherwise you will be starting all over again.
    Attached Images Attached Images