Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paddle Shifter Manual/Automatic??? Which Donors Work???

Paddle Shifter Manual/Automatic??? Which Donors Work???

Not meaning to sound like a complete idiot but I had a question. Can a paddle shifter be installed into a manual tranny? Which I am pretty sure is no but just wanted to make sure cause a lot of you guys on this forum have surprised me before with your genius ;D

For example for the F430/Murcie builds on such donors as MR2 Mk2-Mk3/ Fiero / Peugeot 406

Also if a paddle shifter set up was used on a AT is it possible to remove the AT shift knob to make it look as the interior of the F430 and or Murcie?

Lambo

Ferrari

Re: Paddle Shifter Manual/Automatic??? Which Donors Work???

Hi,
    These guys have paddle shifters for manual transmitions. I think I saw a video in youtube, and it seemed to change gears pretty fast.
    I am thinking in installing it in my new car.

http://mastershift.com/

regards,

Marcelo

Also if a paddle shifter set up was used on a AT is it possible to remove the AT shift knob to make it look as the interior of the F430 and or Murcie?
    The answer to that is yes, but it would be no small feat. You could convert to a Shift-by-wire system and come up with a way to pull the parking pawl on the trans and move it into drive. You might also try relocating or camoflaging the shifter.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by mmbrazil
    Hi,
    These guys have paddle shifters for manual transmitions. I think I saw a video in youtube, and it seemed to change gears pretty fast.
    I am thinking in installing it in my new car.

http://mastershift.com/

regards,

Marcelo
    Great Link! Actually I think I saw a video on youtube of them at the SEMA show. I think they won an award if I am correct.

BTW what car do you have that your thinking of installing it in?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RCR
    The answer to that is yes, but it would be no small feat. You could convert to a Shift-by-wire system and come up with a way to pull the parking pawl on the trans and move it into drive. You might also try relocating or camoflaging the shifter.

Bob
    Thank you for the information. Glad to hear the answer is yes. Since it does seem it will be no small feature, do you know of anyone who does this kind of installation? Or do you know of anyone who has done this installation on a kitcar? Preferably the F430/360/Murcie...?? Also what kind of price range would we be looking at for a job like this?

Thanks

I have a pcs controler for my 4t65ehd that I will be installing in place of my isuzu. Paddle shifting or button shifting is one of the options with the pcs. I don't remember the exact price but it was around $900 apiece for the trans and controler, both new not used. What engine are you using in what car?

Quote Originally Posted by dratts1
    I have a pcs controler for my 4t65ehd that I will be installing in place of my isuzu. Paddle shifting or button shifting is one of the options with the pcs. I don't remember the exact price but it was around $900 apiece for the trans and controler, both new not used. What engine are you using in what car?
    Well I have not decided what engine and car yet. I am wanting to build either a Murcie replica or F430. So at the moment I am conducting research I want to go in knowing exactly what I want and need. Don't want to say later "oh I should have done that" because it may be to late. Also I really want to know what is and isn't possible. I would Like to make it as close to the real thing as possible but without claiming chapter 11 :P

Some donors I am debating on at the moment are MR2 Mk2/ Peugeot 406 / Porsche Boxster

OK, I don't think this set up will work on any of those donors. Mine are fiero donors with AD355 and murci bodys, sbc and N* engines. Also 3800 engines come with this transaxle and some of those are factory tap shift.

Another question..... Is there any difference with a paddle shifter installed in an AT compared to a Manual transmission?

If so, what?

Also, what would be the better choice as far as performance goes?

You don't have a torque converter in a manual transmission so you don't lose any horsepower through the tc. If you are going with a transverse engine, the 4t65ehd can be built to 1000 hp. I don't know of any other transverse unit that can approach that. Although I don't have mine installed yet, I see no reason that I can't control it just like an egear or f1 with steering column paddles. Once set up that way I don't think you would need a consul shifter at all and you could dummy any replica set up you want. I don't know what the manual paddle shifters go for now, but ferrari was a $10,000 option when it came out, and I'll bet that maintenance and repair can get costly. Didn't porshe or vw offer a tap shift tranny? Maybe it's an option on the boxter.