Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Hi I am a new member here and I just found out about car kits and have become very interested in them. I have some n00b questions to ask:
    1. Do they actually work?
    2. How come the ones on ebay look so ugly
    3. Why do people sell their kits? is there sumthing wrong with them?

Re:New Member

First off... WELCOME!!! Glad to have you on board

Your questions...

1 - Do they work?

Odd kinda question. Are you asking if they drive or run or hold together? If they are built right and well, then yes. Of course they do

They run and drive. Alot of time, better than the originals with alot less hassle and maintenance.

2 - How come the ones on ebay look so ugly?

I would imagine that there are many answers to this question but without being rude, I'd say that sometimes your idea of what looks good in a brochure looks very different once the kit arrives. At this point, you either sell your "dream" because it wasn't exactly what you wanted or build it to sell so you can recoup some of your costs. In the latter case, not alot of attention to detail is added and the end result is poor.

Of course, the thrid reason is that there are some poor excuses for builders out there that make their money on selling you LESS than you ask for (if at all) and get away with putting as little effort into the project as possible.

Highly detailed and proper looking replicas take lots of time and money to develop. Alot of these quick money turners don't want to take the time and just want easy build and easy money. Of course, there are alot more of these 2nd rate builders out there so you see alot more of the 2nd rate kits on ebay.

The GREAT kits are usually the first targeted by the original design holders like Ferrari and are very hard to come by. People just don't sell the really good kits on ebay.

Take the Mirage for instance... when's the last time you seen one of these on ebay? Or a Watson kit? On the other hand, the "other" kits are all over ebay.

3 - Why do people sell their kits?

See answer #2... Sometimes for the money and sometimes because they were disappointed in what they got to begin with. Still other times it's because the BUILD is the thrill and when it's finished and they've driven their new car a while, it's time for a new challenge. Other times, it's just money... or lack thereof. They sell their kit project because they can't afford to finish it or they have to sell it for other financial reasons.

In the end, nobody really NEEDS one of these. It's not like it's a commuter or the primary source of transportation for 99% of owners. So, when money's tight, the kit's gotta go.

I hope that answers some of your questions and again, welcome!

DKOV -
    www.gopc.com/F355/F355x.html

thanks for ur reply, ur car is really nice! where did u get that kit? and also, how accurate are the kits? and are they all based on the pontiac fiero?

Thanks. My kit is called a "Mirage 355" and is based on the Pontiac Fiero. Not every kit, however, is based on a Fiero. Some use custom chassis or hybrids of more than one chassis. Some use VWs while others use late model cameros or firebirds. There are even a few on the Honda Accord or civic platforms.

Some kits are VERY accurate while others are just similar. Also, it depends on how insane you want to get as a builder

My kit, for instance, has so many Original 355 parts on it that it can't help but to be accurate. The Mirage is pretty darn close to begin with and what it lacks or is missing, I replaced with original parts to make it just that more precise.

There are other kits out there that are pretty close but take different approaches to panel separation issues or build an entire end into one piece rather then several, but still look REALLY good when built with care and patience.

Besides, the part about this hobby that I really appreciate is the ability to do things just a little bit different to make it more personalized. Custom touches if you will.

I just finished almost the entire rear end and will be putting the new pics up on the site here in a few minutes... You should check it out to see what I mean.

Kit body with Original (OEM) 355 rear tail panel and tail lights. Looks pretty darn good!

Best,

DKOV -

Just wondering why you are useing a picture of a girl when you profile says your a male?
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Welcome to the world of replicas and custom specialty vehicles!!! I have been hooked for over 15yrs.

(Damn i feel old)

You'll find that once you see the possibilities are endless and the "bug" gets in your blood, You'll be hooked and addicted like many of us, if not all of us.

All the best in your new found journey! My advice for you when it comes to your questions: There is NEVER a stupid question, Just stupid results for not asking!
    The Needles Dance, The Gauges Glow,
    As Engine Speed & Heartbeat Grow,
    Gears They Shift 'Neath Anxious Thumbs,
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...
    Formerly: Powerhouse

www.facebook.com/TheCalgaryBatman

Good news... I spent over 2 hours last night updating my website and adding tons of pictures and information

Bad news is that while spell checking it, it crashed and I lost everything I had done

So... I'll have to redo it AGAIN... and post it later. Sorry about that!

DKOV -

James_Bond_007

Hello? Maybe its his sister. I hope its his sister.

Hey eddie1687 thats your sister right?
    Where do you live?
    I can stop by, & give your sis.... I mean, give you a ride in my Spyder.

Big D.

f1mcclaren

i am a nooobeeee toooo.

Well then... Welcome to you too!!!

Dewey - You don't look anything like your signature pic either

DKOV -