Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were designing a kit..What features would you want it to have....

If you were designing a kit..What features would you want it to have....

If you were designing a kit what features would you want. I am not asking what car you would build or what engine. What I am looking for is for information on what features or on build quality, single donor versus multiple donor, new component parts versus designing it to utilize older donor components, etc.... Would you want say a kit that uses all the old cars items as in cluster, fan and heater controls, etc.. or would you want basic items like engine trans, suspension and have the other smaller items be updated to a different newer look. Again this is not a replica kit so there is no need necessarily to be authentic. This is a original design vehicle being built.

Re: If you were designing a kit..What features would you want it to have....

If I were to design a complete kit. I would utilise common components from late model production cars. At least in the past 10 years. Nothing to new! (Need to keep the cost down) OEM Headlight units, lighting, dash controls etc. I would base this on a fairly common performance car donor. If in the US, I would use an older Vette or something similar. I would design the kit so that it would be a bolt on installation. Very little would be required to modify the drive train for the kit. The Kit would also need to be totally complete including an instruction manual and videos, with the exception of having to locate the needed trim and lights from other production cars. The word KIT in the kit car market is a very broad term. Some outfits give you a bunch of body panel skins and call it a kit.When I think of a kit. Just about everything should be in the box.

If I was designing a Kit.

Letís look

Custom CAD designed Aluminum Monocoque Chassis,
    Individual Carbon Fiber Panels,
    Laminated glass. Full European certified,
    Custom made Hubs and Suspension,
    Electric Power Steering,
    Two Engine Option Audi V8 or Audi V10 (Mid Ship),
    Two Drive Systems Options GT-ME1 6-speed 2WD or Audi 6-speed AWD,
    HID Headlights and LED Tail Lights,
    Brembo 4 Pot Vented Disc Brakes with ABS,
    Custom designed interior,
    Climate Control,
    Electric Power Windows,
    Electric Power Mirrors (Folding)

To much to list! ;D

I have a design that I want to produce, but I need to find the people to help me build it. The design has to go from drawings to a CNC milled full scale model then to individual panels, than the chassis has to be designed so the panels bolt straight on.

The whole thing has to be made from scratch, but I want to take kit vehicles to the next level as I am tired of all the half baked jobs out there.

well. im sure you guys see me on here from time to time. we are hoping to have to prototype done by fall of our car. its 90 percent single donor, tube frame. has tons of options and part availability and will have all normal features minus airbags. dot glass, working windows, heat, ac....and it will handle. but this is exactly what info and feedback im looking for. keep going please

Ease of build - most important - I'd want a project that could be on the road in a couple hundred build hours.
    single donor car, cheap donor
    availability of replacement parts (ie, no $900 custom windshield)

least important to me is speed/performance. All bark and no bite is fine by me. (of course getting beat at a stoplight by a honda civic might change my mind).

Factoy Five is the standard to which all kit manufacturers should aspire. Cheap and reliable at worst and good handling, fast, comfortable, and show-quality at best. Donor or custom-chassis, non-donor options.

The proof is in the results - thousands of FFC cars on the road as opposed to handfuls in progress.

factory five is what we are going for as far as kit design and ease. Just a completely different approach to the other end of the design and donor car process. I will explain a little later. I hope everyone will enjoy it. We are working on the prototype now. In fact I have talked to proto2 about using his foam guy in canada. chassis is almost done already now just designing the interior panels, and small stuff before the steel cutting begins.

I would get as many parts from a single donor as possible
    Provide as many parts in the kit as needed for the build or at least a single source for all of the components.
    Corvette suspension, excellent value and widely available
    Bolt on body panels

Just my short list

I have been thinking this over again and decide I would offer 2 models

A Chassis with Audi V8 Mounts and Audi Transaxle mounts with the body already attached and the person can do what they like in regards to building it

But if they want a factory built car then

Factory made with Audi V10 standard, 6 Speed AWD, custom hubs, etc etc . I have looked at the cost and for the factory built car it will cost about £70,000, using all new parts and custom made parts.

Something that rides as smooth as a Mercedes, has interior and comfort feautres of an Audi, takes turns like a 911, and has the power of a Viper. Perfect car