Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need any info/help considering my new project

Need any info/help considering my new project

Hiya to all :-*

I really need your help, i have been thinking of building some sort of car, at first i tired to make murcielago, but them my countrys stupid laws came in to play, and i couldnt build it. So, i need your help to decide a donor car for my project.

Donor car problem is that laws in our country do not allow me to use tube chassis or cut up any main chassis of the original car. What i can do then? i can shop the roof, i can trim it little from here and there. I really want 2 seater, mid engined rwd or awd car. Fiero is not on optio, regarding to our national car database, we got 3 fieros here. So i thinked toyota mr2 then, but the problem is i cant modify it too much, no stretch or whatever.

And then more nice little problems i have considering the laws in here. (you see my county hates modified stuff). All lights need to be e-approved, or else i will fail yearly checkup. And i cant modify any original lights. Same goes for windows in a car, they also need to be e-approved.

And on the next one is emission test and i cant add power easily. I can only add 20% more kw than the original engine used in that car had ( i can compare that to max power engine made for that chassis), and i really dont want my great car to be outrun by civics.

So to the conclusion then. I dont know any other car than toyota mr-2 gen2 rev3 turbo that would fall to that category, are there something similar or better option? And what kit to go for that i could make street legal? i would be happy with kits like 360, 430, gallardo, diablo etc.

Any info and help is appreciated in fighting against the evil car-haters of my country ;D

Re: Need any info/help considering my new project

Your best bet I would think would be the DNA 360 or 430 spider on the Mr2. Their is no heavy modifying needed. It's just a body kit that looks close to the real car. The only issue you may face is the wheel spacers. If your country is that particular about the rest they may not allow the massive wheel spacers. OEM headlights could be used to satisfy your country's laws.

Good luck. I hope you will find something you can build.

Thanks for info, i forgot to mention about spacers - they are illegal here > Cant i scope it with different offset value and wider rim? how much wider are for example basic ferrari kit than normal mr2? anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel
    Thanks for info, i forgot to mention about spacers - they are illegal here > Cant i scope it with different offset value and wider rim? how much wider are for example basic ferrari kit than normal mr2? anyone?
    The spacers required on the rear of an Mr2 spider are huge. I don't think you would ever find a wheel that has that kind of offset. If you wanted an F car, I would think your only option would be the possibility of the new coupe DNA is working on. Although I don't know if you have the donor Ford Cougar's available in your country. The last option would be an older Daytona spider replica. Most were based on an older Corvettes. No stretch, no wheel adapters, no heavy modification to anything. They still look very nice even though they are a dated car.

what country are you in.

our 430 kit doesnt need wheel spacers we can use off the shelf wheels made for another car that fit with a good offset means wheel is 10mm into the arch instead of level but it works for our kits in austrailia, new zealand and germany
    we have also made new hubs for one customer which were the correct 5 stud, when they were machined they were left a little thicker and these passed fine as they are not seen as spacers as they are one piece with hub
    we also have the only realistic interior with every detail complete even down to the correct switches in the correct places and all working
    uses the mk3 toyota mr2
    enzodesign

Quote Originally Posted by Replica_Happy
    what country are you in.
    Finland - the country that hates people who would like to modify cars or bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by enzodesign
    our 430 kit doesnt need wheel spacers we can use off the shelf wheels made for another car that fit with a good offset means wheel is 10mm into the arch instead of level but it works for our kits in austrailia, new zealand and germany we have also made new hubs for one customer which were the correct 5 stud, when they were machined they were left a little thicker and these passed fine as they are not seen as spacers as they are one piece with hub. we also have the only realistic interior with every detail complete even down to the correct switches in the correct places and all working uses the mk3 toyota mr2
    enzodesign
    I checked your site, pretty nice. One main reason not to use mk3 mr2 is pretty high cost and its rare here. Mk2:s we have plenty. Mk3 cost around 22000 and 100000km in meter, and mk2 turbos cost around 8000eonly. One reason not to buy original ferrari in here is insane car taxes we have, i spotted one 430 2005 for sale here, it was priced around 229000 + some more taxes.

yes its the same set up for most of northern africa, we supply the majority of our kits to a dealer in Jordan who supplies out to all the arab states and its only because of how our kit is made that it works
    however it has to be the newer mk3, can you not import one from germany it will cost less and then pay the taxes on it and register it as a mr2 then convert it?

this company sells 360 and 430 kits for the mk2 mr2.

http://www.mr2kits.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Z
    this company sells 360 and 430 kits for the mk2 mr2.

http://www.mr2kits.co.uk/
    Wow, that 430 looks ace, mailed them. Thanks for the link