Thread: Getting jdorr's kit registered in California?

Getting jdorr's kit registered in California?

Know I am shooting myself in the foot with this question, but has anybody brought a motor swapped Fiero into California recently.

Looking at jdorr's kit on eBay pretty seriously. I know I can swap the Camaro motor out for the stock unit pretty quick then try for SCPN but has anybody goon that route recently or it just all talk. Have they been really proactive about getting them inspected once they cross the border.
    1987 Mera (Sold)<br />1997 Riot (Sold)<br />1956 Vintage 356 (Sold)<br />Elite 917 (Sold)<br />65 Shelby cobra protoype (Sold)<br /><br />Looking for a complete TR512/ 550 spyder/ 356 Outlaw/ Unimog 416 Doka

Re: Getting jdorr's kit registered in California?

it looks like the 3.4 pushrod you should not have any problems, the engine looks identical to the stock Fiero engine as long as you don't tell the smog tech and you pass all your emissions you shouldn't have a problem unless its says on the registration paper work that is a different engine, the 3.4 is the only engine we in California can do without any problems when it comes to smog. All other engines we have to get the Ref to approve.

You can forget about the SPCN, you can't get that for a car with a VIN already. A SPCN is normally for a chassis that does not have a VIN. Now you can verify that, but I am pretty sure. On another note as stated above you may not need to worry about it as long as all the proper smog equipment is on the car.

Pretty sure that madcurl on pennocks has spcn registration on his chop top N* fieros and they had vin #s.

OK, Like I said I could be wrong. So does that mean madcurl never has to smog again in Cali.?

I think so. I'm not an authority. I think I remember someone saying that as soon as they got their spcn so that they didn't have to smog, they could alter their exhaust without having to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by rundlc
    You can forget about the SPCN, you can't get that for a car with a VIN already. A SPCN is normally for a chassis that does not have a VIN. Now you can verify that, but I am pretty sure. On another note as stated above you may not need to worry about it as long as all the proper smog equipment is on the car.
    I have done SPCN on a few VW kits that were pulled out of the system so I know it has been done in the past. This would be my 4-5th kit that I have brought in from out of state over the last 10 years so I think they keep a pretty close eye on me though.

Will do some more research on the 3.4 swap, (Was looking at 3.8 info which had EO clearence)

I know you can swap that motor here with a C.A.R.B. sticker but don't know if I can bring one in from out of state and request the sticker. If I can go through the EO process with a import then it opens up a lot more cars.
    1987 Mera (Sold)<br />1997 Riot (Sold)<br />1956 Vintage 356 (Sold)<br />Elite 917 (Sold)<br />65 Shelby cobra protoype (Sold)<br /><br />Looking for a complete TR512/ 550 spyder/ 356 Outlaw/ Unimog 416 Doka

Well I guess that's why I will just keep my lambo replica registered as a fiero, keep the 2.8 fiero engine and smog every two years. NO PROBLEM.

I have heard of a few guys that run "alternate" engines for 22 months and then switch back to the stock engine when it comes time to smog hmmmmm maybe I can run that 3800 SC with turbo anyway!!

LOL, LOL, LOL ok maybe not WE WILL SEE