Thread: Parts needed (1978 Kelmark GT)

Parts needed (1978 Kelmark GT)

Hey Guys, just bought me another project in need of alot of parts.. motor, floor pans, complete interior, seals,etc... Its a 1978 Kelmark Gt., and of course is VW based. any and all info very much appreciated... thanks..
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Re: Parts needed (1978 Kelmark GT)

If you need some aftermarket VW parts. Buy a copy of VW Trends magazine and get the web sites for the suppliers. VW pans are cheep. Most parts are made in Brazil or Mexico these days.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    If you need some aftermarket VW parts. Buy a copy of VW Trends magazine and get the web sites for the suppliers. VW pans are cheep. Most parts are made in Brazil or Mexico these days.
    Thanks MacGyver!... I've never owned anything VW before, and just didnt know where to start looking.

The last VW I restored I purchased parts from a VW supplyer out of Calf. I can't remember the name but they usually have a two page add in the VW Magazines. I also purchased a bunch of stuff from JC Whitney. They have many items that are not in their main catalog. They have a separate catalog available just for VW parts.

As far as the motor is concerned. There are many upgrades available for those old air cooled motors. You can buy larger jugs and pistons, performance heads, cams and etc. You will be surprised to see how much HP you can get out of those little motors.

I have a friend that does VW restorations. I will see him this weekend. I will ask if he has any connections.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    The last VW I restored I purchased parts from a VW supplyer out of Calf. I can't remember the name but they usually have a two page add in the VW Magazines. I also purchased a bunch of stuff from JC Whitney. They have many items that are not in their main catalog. They have a separate catalog available just for VW parts.

As far as the motor is concerned. There are many upgrades available for those old air cooled motors. You can buy larger jugs and pistons, performance heads, cams and etc. You will be surprised to see how much HP you can get out of those little motors.
    Thanks again... I will buy some vw magazines...and a friend of mine also told me about JC Whitney.. It being a 78 Kelmark, what would I say I would need for floor pans?? 78 Beetle, or what?? what about door seals, rear deck seals,etc??, also, the margin gap in the doors are way off,, how would I adjust for that?? Any suggestions?... Thanks again Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by tobygaff
    I have a friend that does VW restorations. I will see him this weekend. I will ask if he has any connections.
    That would be great.. Any info greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

Join the Kelmark GT group on Yahoo. There are a lot of very Kelmark owners there who will be glad to help you. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Kelmark/

I raced my Fiero GT against a vw bug with the 1600cc 4cyl motor modified to 1835cc and got my but kicked, I can only imagine what it would have done with a lighter Fiberglas body like the Kelmark.

Quote Originally Posted by txbuilder
    Join the Kelmark GT group on Yahoo. There are a lot of very Kelmark owners there who will be glad to help you. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Kelmark/
    Thanks for the link.. I'll definitely check into it.