Thread: First build sugestions

First build sugestions

Well I've been looking around, and I think I should start off with a Ferrari. What's a good looking, easy to install kit that doesn't require stretching and can be shipped to the US? Thanks for any help!

Re: First build sugestions

I would recommend the ad kit or a mirage kit but there is some fabricating that needs to be done, something easier would be a 308/328 kit

There is no easy kit out there. As much as we make the builds almost look easy, in fact they are not. The Mirage kit is a straight forward kit to assemble, and almost impossible to finish. The AD 355 kit has more parts, but takes a lot less time to make look right.

Here is a link to my AD 355 build:
    http://brastic.com/fiero/index.html

I started a build manual also:
    http://brastic.com/AD355_Manualv05.txt

The 308/328 kits are pretty easy to install overall as well. There ends up being some minor fabrication but not too much compared to the rest of our builds. Just don't try for a GTS targa model or anything like that as that will drive you into some frame reinforcing etc.

I think Fiero Conversions, aka Jimmy's Automotive in Windsor, Ontario Canada will have a 328 kit available again soon as well as a 308 version soon. (I know this as I sent them my 328 panels and a mould for the 308 front....) I can honestly say I am not 100% certain they are going to make moulds again of these or use the panels for parts replacement for customers looking for bits and pieces but you can contact them and ask. Do as google search for either name and you wil get their web site. Tell then Don sent you. I have found them good to work with.

Another way to go would be to look for a non stretched kit pretty much completed on ebay or craigslist and finish it to your tastes so you don't have to start from scratch. There are a LOT of partially completed cars out there looking for new homes all the time.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Go with a PISA or MR2 based kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brastic
    The Mirage kit is a straight forward kit to assemble, and almost impossible to finish.
    Can you elaborate on that? I seriously considered a mirage a couple years ago, and it still pops into my head once in a while. I was looking for a quick build on a fiero donor i have sitting around...

Quote Originally Posted by RHK
    Quote Originally Posted by Brastic
    The Mirage kit is a straight forward kit to assemble, and almost impossible to finish.
    Can you elaborate on that? I seriously considered a mirage a couple years ago, and it still pops into my head once in a while. I was looking for a quick build on a fiero donor i have sitting around...
    I would love to. The first thing is that the Mirage kit is easier to assemble than the AD. The Mirage has the one piece front bumper and fenders, rear integrated bumper and the early version did not have separate rockers. These all lead to a quicker assemble. The down side is that the parts were not symmetrical. This means you have to either just paint it and have the body look weird or spend a huge amount of time trying to fix it. You can run some searches and read about this all day. It comes down to where you want to pay? The AD kit cost more up front, but will have an over all lower cost once assembled. Actually the Mirage kit is why there is an AD kit in the first place. You can still see the burn marks in his driveway from where the mirage kit was burned out of frustration. All this is moot now. The only kit still in production is the AD.