Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a Tube chassis worth it?

Is a Tube chassis worth it?

You know over the years I've seen many Lamborghini replica's completed and done right with the tube chassis there's one thing I hate about them and that is the price!.

I mean tell me if this is a good deal

http://www.patriotmetalworx.com/CHASSIS.html :

Is this really worth 14k?

I'm sure I can have a fully running Fiero based kit for less than 7 prepared for the body.

I'm planning on buying a Lamborghini in 2 years either an original or a replica done right either way my biggest fear is that id go with a replica and spend more on building that than I would an original. Sure maintaining it wouldn't be as expensive but still I couldn't sleep right at night knowing I spent more on the counterfit than on an original.

I've thought about going with either a V12 engine, a 2JZ turbo from a Supra or a 3800 Supercharged engine I'm sure I wouldn't have any issues installing any of those engines in a chassis but my biggest concern is the cost. Like Damn! 14k is a lot, I understand that it beats an old fiero or mr2 by a long shot but geee wizz thats freakin pricey!.

Anyone here have tube chassis experience? if so is it totally worth dumping it the money? is the prep work as difficult as doing it on a donorcar? How does it match up to the original car?

Re: Is a Tube chassis worth it?

Tube chassis is by far superior than a stretched donor. After the last enzo out the door, I'm running tube chassis from now on, alot faster to put together and dam less custom work involved

It depends on what you want YOUR car to do, if you just intend to cruise then a fiero will do adequately, but if you intend to "drive it in anger" then tube chassis is the way to go.

But as Proto said you have a lot less fab to do, fewer compromises to make and you can truely optimize your car, but it is more costly cause you have to buy everything. Given the engine choices that you listed "I" would go tube. I am....

If I may chime in I believe a Tube chassis is better than a Fiero for many reasons for my style of building.
    If you want to build a fiero version than that is fine too it is more budget friendly..
    If your trying to build a car that has some of the same performance attributes that the real car has then build a tube chassis car. For the Lambo kits, I have seen two sets of plans out there that are great. Chassisworks plans and the Naerc plans..Chassis works plans are inexpensive and very easy to build. Naerc are very involved and would take awhile to build due to the complex cuts and a bunch of different types of material that is included in the build. Remember that a stretched Fiero is a stretched Fiero..A tube chassis is very close to the real deal as far as suspension and driveability. The tube chassis also gives you options for a longitudinal drivetrain.. such as a porche transaxle and an engine of your choice. I'm currently building an F40 LM tube chassis..It is going to take a long time but I want the car to handle and perform close to the real deal. If I'm lucky it may do better..We will see.. As for the Lambo guys your lucky because of the chassis plans that are out there are designed for Lambo kits. I'm currently designing mine from scratch using the Chassis works model for reference.. What ever your choice no one will fault you eitherway..Good luck on your build..Thanks Luke

Well mine was a done deal when I bought it so a tube chassis is not an option. The Ryane suspension and brakes will make it more comparable. I suspect that a tube frame is lighter. Since the tube frames being touted here are not chrome moly like a lambo they will not be as strong unless using heavier gauge steel and there goes some or all of the weight advantage. For me it's not clear that any tube chassis is better than any stretched fiero with proper suspension and brakes. Feel free to chime in and contradict me If you have real proof or even your different opinion. Maybe the only way to find out would be to race them, although there are probably no kits that are exactly the same except for the frame.

well first of vf, depending on what you want then 14 is probably a spot on price, i do not know this guy or his work, but from what i have priced out for customers i come up with about the same price. well a couple thousand cheaper, but then again i do not make any money off parts only the build. i enjoy bolting the stuff on. so i figure why charge for that when i can pass that savings onto a customer. also i am dealer for alot of the stuff you would use on the chassis so that would save you even more. i have not seen this guys work, and i would not down him at all. but i believe i could give you a much better deal simply because what i wrote earlier. stay tuned. i will be pulling my newest desgin off the jig this week or next. and i would like to add that my chassis has removable rear clip. for easy motor and suspension maintiance. and i have done away with alot of the steal panels and went with composites for a nicer finish and alittle bit lighter.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

your safety

Budget, Resale value {if its a build to sell go tube chassis},Horse Power expectations,Daily driver, an time spent getting it on the road.
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

i dont know what the chassis comes with but there is easily $7,000 in the chassis before i even start welding anything. I have over $100 in bolts, $1500 in suspension, $600 into fuel cells, $3,000 in brakes and pedals
    $500 in water jet brackets, $1000 steel
    building a tube chassis is expensive $14k is fair if that is for a rolling chassis

But what about the safety for the tube chassis ?

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yildirim Khan
    But what about the safety for the tube chassis ?

brake lines, wiring ,gas lines , gas tank, cooling sys. have to be added to it ,so placement is critical
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!