Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fiero stretch

fiero stretch

ok, everybod chime in here and voice your opinions on where the best place is to cut the fiero in half, anyone have pictures that would help, I had my last pics but I cant see the pictures wel enough. Where is the gas tank, middle??? Thanks

Re: fiero stretch

The best place to cut is the cradle. Extend the cradle and relocate the shock/spring location and you are done.

Hey Rob. Here are some PICS of how I stretch the frame. I basically re-frame the whole car for strength. Notice the front suspension supports I add so the front end stays firm and keeps your windshield from breaking. People dont realize that when the Fiero front end is cut off to clear the Murci body you end up weakening the suspension causing the front Fiero frame rails to tweak. I cut 2" from the Fire wall and cut stright down. We use a laser to mark the lines we are cutting. I told you Id sell you the entire frame for $500 so all you have to do is dismantle and cut the car and just add the rails and weld them ;D

Let me know if you want dimensions of my rails so you can fab them up yourself. Materials cost around $350, so youll save a little if you do it yourself.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Quote Originally Posted by sactodreamer
    The best place to cut is the cradle. Extend the cradle and relocate the shock/spring location and you are done.
    Please DONT cut the cradle. The cradle is engineered that way for a reason. If you make the frame rails the way I make them you simply bolt the cradle back in 10.5" back. If you weld onto that thin area of metal on the cradle all you end up doing is adding alot of heat which will make the steel brittle and really weak.

Here are pics of the rails. The main beam is bolted onto where the cradle normally goes and the cradle is bolted to the new beam which is set 10.5" back. The new beam ends up square to the chassis and the rest of the rails fall into place 10.5" back.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Where is the gas tank, middle??? Thanks
    [/quote]

The gas tank is in the tunnel under your shifter. It runs from the Fire wall to the front of the dash.

I think that the cradle stretch is fine for a 355 because you only need 3". I don't think that it would work with a 10.5" stretch. I bought Johns 355 body with the wheel wells moved forward 3" so I didn't have to stretch it. I've since felt that a cradle stretch would have been simple and avoided cutting the car in half and would have retained the right wheelbase. That's what I think. I'm totally impressed with Joes frame and that is what I would want if I were starting a murci.

do nooot cut the cradle , you will regret it later

So let me clarify. I was wrong saying to cut the cradle. I meant to say move it back. But I believe you guys are right about that not working for a lambo stretch.

I cut my cradle, reinforced the hell out of it and made sure everything was square. Not that big a deal fellas, it bolted right up and looks alot stronger then the original.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast