Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Feedback on my Custom Built Kit Car- MAP 200

Looking for Feedback on my Custom Built Kit Car- MAP 200

Hey guys, feel free to comment on my custom built kit car.
    For more information please visit by website: www.MAPmotors.com

Here is a brief description of the car:

"Custom built, chassis # 001 MAP200 street legal vehicle registered in Michigan as a 2010 assembled roadster. Lightweight aluminum body panels attached to a tubular steel frame construction incorporating suspension and power train mountings. Rear mounted Mazda Wankel engine with oil cooler, a 40-idf Weber carburetor kit and custom headers/ exhaust system. Modified VW type 3 bus transaxle attached through a Kennedy adapter plate. Front suspension is based on VW Ball Joint type front beam modified to accept adjustable “Fox Racing Shox” coil-overs with VW disk brakes and quick ratio rack and pinion steering box. Independent rear suspension is based on a custom torsion assembly modified to accept “Fox Racing Shox” adjustable coil-overs, custom trailing arms and VW disk brakes. Accessories include Empi alloy rims, adjustable Corbeau seats, 5 point racing harnesses, CNC brand pedals, quick release leather steering wheel, high output Hella rally lights, IntelliDash multi-gauge digital dashboard, push button engine start and marine grade switches throughout."

Re: Looking for Feedback on my Custom Built Kit Car- MAP 200

I don't like when people (newbie's) double post and for the car its not really my taste

Nice "dunebuggy" type design but looks rather amateurish if you are going for the super car look.

its decent. there could be great improvements to the fastening system used for the body panels and interior trim. that aside its a very good first attempt for a bespoke car.

I like the idea and I would love to have a rally car. The body shape reminds me some what of a fiat x19 and a Lancia Stratos. If you tweak the body a little more you might get the desired results and more positive feed back. Of course that is only my opinion. thanks Luke

I LIKE it and you have done an amazing job so far. Still, the overall feeling is confusing to me. The body is trying to look like a sports car but isn’t successful, just rough. Better to go for the machine look and let it be what it can be (the unpainted version on your website is more believable).
    An important thing for any design is its stance and overall gesture. This design is not dynamic, being too pointy and frail looking in the front, droopy in the rear. If you blunt the front and make it more direct and honest looking it could improve. The rear deck and rear valance lines both need to tip upward to the rear. Rear graphics are too old-Ferrari and miss any chance for originality. The fore-aft roll structure drops from the too-high windscreen to the too-low rear structure, destroying any possibility of a wedge feeling which could have resulted in a more dynamic gesture.
    Wheels and tires are really confusing. Maybe consider more of an off-road look? Check out the hot new Kick-out SS Manx. Or go for the hot street car look (low aspect ratio tires, MUCH bigger, hotter rims).
    That weak Mazda engine wouldn’t interest me but a 2.5 Subaru with 250HP or more would be hot. You might have to move up to a 091 Bus transaxle though.

All in all, it is still a very interesting project and you have done a great job so far. It is just the aesthetics that need some reconsideration. You are in the Detroit area? You could go on down to College for Creative Studies and maybe pay one of the kids studying car design to help you out.

It kinda reminds me of the old Lotus Elan a bit, only more angular, perhaps an old kitcar called the rabbit? nice job on her

Will

It looks better without the body. Leave it as a dune buggy. The styling doesn't cut it as a sportscar. Dont feel too bad though, even the big design houses don't get it right the first time.
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

Thanks guys for your honest opinions. Mind you, there was no fancy CAD designs, no CNC machined parts, just a welder and some ideas. To get "sports car" looks is tricky!

You picked up on our European/ rally/ Manx background for the car. We tried to make the car simple to build. The idea behind the whole design was to create a car from scratch, that would be easy to skin with panels. Both to replace if damaged, and to install with easy. The whole design is in the frame.

Our next project will be mid-engined Subaru based. Stay tuned.

How are the pannels affixed? Hope you didn't rivet into the structal frame.. This could cause a dangerous failure in the event of an accident..