Thread: Make your own Carbon Fiber parts kit

Make your own Carbon Fiber parts kit

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Departme...iber-kits.aspx

I must say this isn't a bad kit at all. Very reasonable prices for the kit alone and its pretty simple to use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKrl1PPvliQ

I may consider this for the Camaro and especially for the future when I build Either the Diablo or Countach.

Re: Make your own Carbon Fiber parts kit

i use these kits! they are awsome. really good looking parts afterwards. its hard at first but once u get the hang of it. its super easy. and the parts look professional

Lambochik, What size pieces are you replicating and what size kit of this are you purchasing? I ask because I am wanting to duplicate my real ferrari 355 engine pieces.
    On a side note, Do you live in TN? I'm going to be taking my car to a body shop in Knoxville this late spring. I'd like to see some of these molds in person.

Feel free to email me directly at superstang460@yahoo.com
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

i dont do molds. i just skin fiberglass pieces. so it looks like carbon fiber but really isnt. they have like 3 size kits i get the medium kit. its enough to do alot and i mean alot of small interior parts. yes i live in knoxville. and yeah when you come hopefully ill have my kit presentable.

That would be awesome! I'm hoping by may or so...still need a surgery and therapy to walk again before I can drive
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

Quote Originally Posted by superstang460
    Lambochik, What size pieces are you replicating and what size kit of this are you purchasing? I ask because I am wanting to duplicate my real ferrari 355 engine pieces.
    On a side note, Do you live in TN? I'm going to be taking my car to a body shop in Knoxville this late spring. I'd like to see some of these molds in person.

Feel free to email me directly at superstang460@yahoo.com
    I have been making a few carbon parts myself. It's a little tricky to get the hang of it. You can make a regular gellcoated fiberglass mold to produce your carbon parts in. The cost effective way would be to start with 2 layers of carbon fiber and add additional thickness with fiberglass if needed. The tricky part is putting down the first layer of carbon fiber. You need a lot of patience. from there it's a breeze. If you follow the video that was posted, you should end up with an acceptable part. If the part you are making has a lot of tight bends and curves. The techniques in the video will not work and you will need to look into the vacuum bag method. The epoxy resin that is shown in the carbonmods kit looks to thick to properly soak onto the carbon fiber. I would suggest choosing a epoxy resin that is as thin as possable. This will help avoid air bubbles in your finished part. When you have finished your part I would also recommend fine sanding and a clearcoat.