Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointment with the kit car industry

Disappointment with the kit car industry

It's probably because I've had a really bad day today but this is really getting to me tonight.
    I love messing with cars. I have to do so much crappy stuff and deal with stuff I don't really want to but have to to make a good living that for me, my kit car dreams and being able to lock myself away in the garage is a great way of escape.
    I've met some really great people through playing with kitcars from working on my first Westfield with my Uncle to more recently starting my DNA with Mr Ferrari. I've been fortunate to meet up with some pretty straight up guys like the ones at DNA and made some great online friends too.
    Coming back to this site after some time away after the whole Merci building stuff, I can see nothing has changed.
    People still scamming others for the quick buck and the he said, she said with people I thought more of.
    I'm not sure what the answer is but this isn't how a hobby site should be. I think that might be the problem. I know to many this is more than a hobby, it's their bread and butter but somehow this current mix of business and pleasure just isn't working for me.
    Guys (and girls) we need to clean this place up before no-one visits and the people that have helped each other out in the past dry up.
    Anyway, thanks to all who have shown an interest in my build in the past, thanks for all the help and encouragement, thanks to DNA for their support with my build.
    It has been fun.

Re: Disappointment with the kit car industry

I hear ya..

I have not been on here much this winter but I am still around so lets get your car finished up this spring 8)

I know what you are talking about, and I just don't get involved in it. I do my building and just be happy with trying to help others (and occasionally get help from others as well).

I go to some of the Lambo sites and they are just as juvenile in thinking they are better than everone else. Funny thing is even the ones that don't, and can't afford a Lamborghini have opinions about us, and at time we act no better than them. This is why I don't post my progress. I am happy with my progress and don't really care to hear how much my car could be better if it were "a hand made chassis" and "a Fiero chassis will NEVER be as strong as my blah blah blah......"

I get disconcerted as well. That is why I don't have many posts, unless I feel I have something to help with.

Just keep enjoying yourself building, and ignore the soap operas.
    Grant

Well I agree with Rally says from exoticmotorsports.com 100% about that this hobby isn't for everyone. It's expensive and very difficult to get involved with but in the end its worth it considering that you will have a car that not many people will get to own. Sadly there will always be scammers in this business just like there will always be Ricers in the Import scene. There's much we can do about that other than continue to praise those who do good deeds and warn the rest of the world about those who steal. We also need to continue to encourage others as well as continue to develop new possiblities, I saw a guy with a Mclaren F1 build from scratch!

Most importantly update those build threads like you do your facebook!

I can understand your dissappointment but you need to realize that its just not the "Kit Car" world that is getting taken advandage of. I have been in the car/truck hobby for 20 plus years, I have build full on drag cars, restored many classics and done more engine swaps than I care to remember. I have seen scammers in all phases of these fields of the automotive world. If you think about it, its the internet that has brought out the thieves, scammers, basicly the scum of the earth and not the people in the kit car arena. You just to have to accept that they are out there and not be careless with your money. I know its hard in our field of kit cars because parts are scarce, and almost always have to be searched for and sourced in other parts of the country. Clearly there are some really nice and dependable people in this market but there are alot of people that deserve nothing less than a bullet right between the eyes. I think most people that get a bad rep in this business started out with good intentions and are skilled in making parts but are bad as business people. They get overloaded, stressed, and give up, and end up just dissappearing with everyones money just not to admit that they failed. Its sad that things are this way, but we must never let it fade from our minds that these people are out there. Keep your head up, learn from your experiences and keep on enjoying your passion of building your projects......

i agree with flying roadster,... i've been building my car for almost 19 months and i'm about finished, just sand and paint... i learned alot, almost everything i needed just from this site. I chose not to post my build because i am happy the way it turned out and i dont need anyone's opinion. when it is 100% i might post a few pics. but until then, nope. all the critical judgments made about someones build makes me feel like i'm listening to a high school girl locker room and the pretty rich girls are judging the poor ugly girls... This is a hobby, we are creating a car with skills and tools we have. No one is perfect. Some people act like we are all professional builders and if the car is not perfect, then we dont know what we're doing. most of us about 90% are not professional builders. we do the best we can , if we are happy with the project, then no one elses opinion really matters unless that's what you strive for. If someone posts a finished car, congratulate them that they finished! this is a hobby , not a competition.... my 2 cents.

I know what You mean, something about the difference between the real passion for the kit car hobby and kit car business. Here I can find both of them, but as I say in my webpage a copy must be sold as a copy and not become a scam. As all business world You can find someone honest and clear as DNA guys and someone that is lookin for a way to steal some fast money. It's difficult to notice the difference at first sight and here I believe that is impossible to filter people and posts. But this is a community and we will be able to put off scammers, we exchange information and we give alert about bad companies and we give attention and space to the good ones

i agree with all of yall, and it is shame what people can do to each other. i have worked very hard to get where i am at. and i always kept it in the back of my mind that i am doing this to help the little guys dream become a reallity. my goal was to keep my prices as low as possible and help when are where i could. but since i strated in this buisness i had been screwed over to many times. and it has left a bad taste in my mouth. so now i am finding it harder and harder to continue to be a nice guy and help others out when in the end i know that i will probably get screwed over again. thier used to be a day when your word was as valable as gold itself. now adays it seems like everyone keeps thier fingers and toes crossed when ever they are talking. maybe the old west days need to come back.

c

I totally agree with everyone,We are putting together a Cook out in July, all Builders,Owners and Manufactures are welcome. Display for cars, vendor's space for manufactures to sell or show there parts.All are welcome to participate. There will be no arguing or confortations Allowed.It would give every one a chance to meet on neutral terms. There will be no Charge for food ,drinks or display's

Quote Originally Posted by AD-LP640
    I totally agree with everyone,We are putting together a Cook out in July, all Builders,Owners and Manufactures are welcome. Display for cars, vendor's space for manufactures to sell or show there parts.All are welcome to participate. There will be no arguing or confortations Allowed.It would give every one a chance to meet on neutral terms. There will be no Charge for food ,drinks or display's
    Where is this going to be?