Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would make the perfect kit car show/Swapmeet

What would make the perfect kit car show/Swapmeet

Hey Everyone,

I want to get a little input from all you guys that frequent kit car shows. I know we already have a pretty big show here in Daytona at the beginning of the year, but I have never been impressed with the turnout. What if a "Mega" Show/Swapmeet of sorts could be put on at a 40 acre complex with nothing but kit cars, dune buggies, etc in Florida.

As a spectator/Car Show participant

- What time of the year (Month) would be for you? Living here I like Oct/November.
    - What would you expect to pay for a general admission?
    - Would a day of friendly drag racing be an added value to you

As a Vendor

- What would you like to (or expect to pay) to set up a vendor booth?
    - How much room would you need?
    - Any other input would be great

I ask because I manage a racing complex in South Orlando, and I feel its the perfect venue to do this. We are about 4 miles from the airport and about 10 miles from Downtown. If you have any suggestions, or comments feel free to chime in.

Thanks
    Donnie

Re: What would make the perfect kit car show/Swapmeet

to do a mega KitCar /Replica show n tell it should be in Central US. for some guys it would be hard to drive all the way to FL.( mind you nice place to chill ) it'll never going to be as big as SEMA, where there's money to be made. so you don't care about traveling expense etc.
    most dealers are not even capable to finish customers car, due to financial stress,so not many vendors would show up. and finished cars are more or less boulevard cruiser, not for long distance drive.
    my opinion ,

i feel the same way, needs to be central us ;D ;D

Thanks for the input guys. Florida would be my choice for a few reasons. There seems to be a fairly large amount of kit cars running around the state, and I already have the location. If it works at Knotts, and it works at Carlisle, then why not Florida?

I never been in Knott's , where in Cal is huge amount of custom builds, but where there lot of kit cars?? somebody can chime in on that, I was in Carlisle back in days, it was so so.more tuners then anything.

but see what happens , maybe it will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rcc
    I never been in Knott's , where in Cal is huge amount of custom builds, but where there lot of kit cars?? somebody can chime in on that, I was in Carlisle back in days, it was so so.more tuners then anything.

but see what happens , maybe it will be good.
    Hey 0rcc,

Every kit car magazine use to have coverage of Knotts. Carlisle was the same. If I can nail down a date, I positive I can make this work.

it would be kool if say their was a couple of them ever year say one towards the west coast on in the central states on one on the east coast. say a spring summer and fall. i hate to say this but bruton smith probably has the best places because they could be held at a race track either a drag stip or a nascar track, like here at the zmax dragway at charlotte, then you could hold your burn out comps and drag races at a safe and controlled eviroment. i think 60 to 90 bucks would be a good charge for a vendor spot and then maybe a little extra for a restroom in thier lot, and i would make a lot big enough for a car and or a booth. say 20x40 booth only and 40x40 booth and car. and i think i would keep them mixed up vendor wise for shopping. and just a show section for completed cars that are either for sale or just for show. maybe you could even do like an auction at them also. but i do agree that where ever the place is it needs to be centralized, speacilly with the travel exspense, a vendor has to have a chance at recovering his money and to travel to fl. over say carlise or pigeon forge is alot more costly, or if at a drag strip say bristol or charlotte. out west i would say indy motor speedway would be awesome. take a guy golfing in the middle of the track to broker your deals lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffscustomfab
    it would be kool if say their was a couple of them ever year say one towards the west coast on in the central states on one on the east coast. say a spring summer and fall. i hate to say this but bruton smith probably has the best places because they could be held at a race track either a drag stip or a nascar track, like here at the zmax dragway at charlotte, then you could hold your burn out comps and drag races at a safe and controlled eviroment. i think 60 to 90 bucks would be a good charge for a vendor spot and then maybe a little extra for a restroom in thier lot, and i would make a lot big enough for a car and or a booth. say 20x40 booth only and 40x40 booth and car. and i think i would keep them mixed up vendor wise for shopping. and just a show section for completed cars that are either for sale or just for show. maybe you could even do like an auction at them also. but i do agree that where ever the place is it needs to be centralized, speacilly with the travel exspense, a vendor has to have a chance at recovering his money and to travel to fl. over say carlise or pigeon forge is alot more costly, or if at a drag strip say bristol or charlotte. out west i would say indy motor speedway would be awesome. take a guy golfing in the middle of the track to broker your deals lol.
    Hey Cliff,

Great points. I have an advantage of Managing a full blown racing complex in Orlando. I have an 1/8 mile drag strip, 7/10 mile kart track, and a drifting/skid pad. This is why my immediate thought is Florida. Being in this industry I have several contacts I can call on in both the Midwest, and west coast if needed. Just like anything else you have to start small and build it up. Its all starts with a clever name and a well promoted event.

I am thinking a small show in November here in Orlando would be great, and see how it goes.

If you really feel it, than go for it,it may work ;D

Hey Cliff,
    Great points. I have an advantage of Managing a full blown racing complex in Orlando. I have an 1/8 mile drag strip, 7/10 mile kart track, and a drifting/skid pad. This is why my immediate thought is Florida. Being in this industry I have several contacts I can call on in both the Midwest, and west coast if needed. Just like anything else you have to start small and build it up. Its all starts with a clever name and a well promoted event. I am thinking a small show in November here in Orlando would be great, and see how it goes. [/quote]
    Why not try a Super Weekend where the whole facility is open and in use and invite every local car club to come out and show & shine get all the automotive guyz and gals involved. Raise money for good charities.