Thread: First Replica?

First Replica?

Hey first post here have just been reading like every topic here and you guys rock well okay here is my question im 17 years old and i was wonder is the 355 kit from extreme cars is reliable and drivable as my only car? i.e. would i need to worry about driving it in the rain etc?

Thanks so much

Chris

Re: First Replica?

Wecome to the Forum.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by zonda722
    Hey first post here have just been reading like every topic here and you guys rock well okay here is my question im 17 years old and i was wonder is the 355 kit from extreme cars is reliable and drivable as my only car? i.e. would i need to worry about driving it in the rain etc?

Thanks so much

Chris
    First off what country are you from?

sunny england

I would suggest something like that actually. Something that doesn't need any serious modifcations to the chassis and you can reuse the motor, trans and such.

I always suggested to people to go with the PISA Fiero kit's since body will bolt right up to the stock locations.

I would not drive a replica as an everyday car. If you get in accident parts are not available. Get a daily driver and your replica is your toy to drive in good weather on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by VF1Skullangel
    I would suggest something like that actually. Something that doesn't need any serious modifcations to the chassis and you can reuse the motor, trans and such.

I always suggested to people to go with the PISA Fiero kit's since body will bolt right up to the stock locations.
    First off in England he will get a twin turbo supra faster than he will a fiero, and plus PISA is out of date, and is just as hard as an extreme to install.

Quote Originally Posted by holycow
    I would not drive a replica as an everyday car. If you get in accident parts are not available. Get a daily driver and your replica is your toy to drive in good weather on weekends.
    This is 100% correct, I have owned/own several replicas and would not DD them. There custom home built cars, not production cars. They will always have issues, insurance claims will be hard to solve, they will ALWAYS have problems, and will always have the littlest things the will drive you insane (whistles while you drive, leaking water, etc)

BUT since you live in England, you get to take advantage of the THREE kits you can get away with DD and actually having spare parts for. This would be the DNA kits based on the mr2's and ford coupe. But if those are out of your price range, then I highly recommend just getting a cool car and installing a wide body kit or something

Quote Originally Posted by *fill-up*

First off in England he will get a twin turbo supra faster than he will a fiero, and plus PISA is out of date, and is just as hard as an extreme to install.

That is very true however doing the PISA kit conversion isn't as difficult considering it's doesn't need any stretching or widning of the chassis like most kits will require. Its a matter of removing the body pannels and replacing them, it will be easy said then done but compared with other kits such as a Lambo, testarrosa or something along those lines it's easy.

I wouldn't drive a kit daily either but if its something simple and your commute is short like a few blocks its possible to use it daily. But I agree get a good daily driver and use the kit for the weekends.

Similar to the PISA kit, have you considered a DNA? Their cars are just a panel replacement and from the build threads I've followed over the past couple of years, it all looks very easy and simple! You'll also get a very up-to-date appearance and with the (non-modified) MR2 beneath, there's no reason you couldn't use it as a daily driver..

I wouldn`t have a replica as an only car, but I wouldn`t only drive it on weekends either.
    If it`s built right, there is no reason it can`t be just as dependable as the original chassis you built it on.
    As far as having a wreck, you can wreck it just as easily on the weekend as you can during the week.
    Ride a motorcycle for a few months, you will be able to avoid getting into situations a lot better even when driving a car.