Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIN Discrepancy on car title

VIN Discrepancy on car title

Hi, I'm new to these forums & apologize if this question has already been asked, but I looked for about 20 minutes & didn't see anything. Basically, I live in VA and purchased a Countach 25th Anniversary Edition built onto a Pontiac Fiero. Here's the problem. The VIN plate on the car is the original VIN number for the Fiero, but the title I have is for an assembled vehicle and has a different, shorter VIN number. I looked around on the car & couldn't find another VIN that matches the one on the title. My question is this: Is there any way I can prove that the title is in fact for the car I have? Are there any services that could link the car to the title, or is there an easier way to do this that I just don't know about? Thanks in advance.

-Lee

Re: VIN Discrepancy on car title

If the title you have is truly the title for the car, the secondary VIN may be the VIN assigned by the people that made the body as part of the certificate of origin. I would probably make up a secondary VIN plate that matches the COA and attach it to the car.

I have heard that in some states, they give you a new VIN tag along with a new title. IF possible I would ask the person you purchased it from to see if they got a new VIN tag...

and now of course we need to see photos of the Countach ;D

Will

Quote Originally Posted by tobygaff
    The secondary VIN may be the VIN assigned by the people that made the body as part of the certificate of origin.
    It is. I found out from the secondary VIN that the car was built in Texas. How hard would it be to get another VIN plate made? I'm no longer in touch with the person I bought the car from & have no way of proving, much less knowing when or where the car was built. From what I've read the DMV will want to see proof before they come out & give me a new VIN plate.

Are there any other options, like paying a VIN service to confirm that the number was in fact changed?

Quote Originally Posted by wbnemo1
    and now of course we need to see photos of the Countach ;D

Will
    http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a81...in03/Countach/

Didn't somebody have a post about this car the other day advising not to buy it because the car had no VIN# and person selling it never did what they were supposed to do at the DMV to assure the car wasn't stolen or something?

Probably not, I've had it for 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by AsantiLP
    Didn't somebody have a post about this car the other day advising not to buy it because the car had no VIN# and person selling it never did what they were supposed to do at the DMV to assure the car wasn't stolen or something?
    Yeah, sounds like the same car. Is it red and listed on Craigslist around the DC area I think?

Sure is, trying to get the title straight before I sell it though. No clue who would have redlisted it. It's not like I'm trying to shell it off without fixing the VIN discrepancy first. I searched the number on the VIN plate. It wasn't listed as ever being stolen, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the car in the first place. I've been having problems searching the VIN on the title though. Since it's an ASVE VIN, it's shorter than a normal VIN number, so I can't search it through carfax.

Anyone want to provide constructive solutions? Are there any options that I'm overlooking?