Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wondering if this is a good price / worth the time?

Wondering if this is a good price / worth the time?

A recent conversation with a co-worker I barely get the time to talk to revealed that he was once interested in the kit scene... well, after about a five minute conversation on the topic, he suggested he would sell me his not-yet-started project if I was interested.

He has a Mike Bova / D&R? Lamborghini Roadster Replica body (all exterior panels) and a stripped down not-yet-stretched running Fiero V6 manual. He does not have the interior or any additional pieces aside from the Fiero and the fiberglass exterior panels.

He said he'd let me have everything for $3,000 (maybe less if he is serious about not wanting to do the project any more). Although I'm just not sure I would want to take on that extensive of a project, is that is even a good price for what it is that he has.

Thoughts?

-C
    CJ

Re: Wondering if this is a good price / worth the time?

Quote Originally Posted by ActiveLife
    Although I'm just not sure I would want to take on that extensive of a project, is that is even a good price for what it is that he has.

Thoughts?

-C
    This tells me your not ready for it. Assume that the project will take vastly longer and vastly more money than you think when your high-balling it. If that doesn't scare you maybe I'm wrong and you are ready.

If the body is a D&R and it has all the exterior pieces and a running Fiero then yes, $3000 or less is a good deal for it all.

I agree with Whitey078 though. Diablos are quite an extensive build for people. I suggest you go over to KitCentral.com as a minimum and read through some of the build threads for whatever version of the Diablo you are looking at and see what folks there are talking about. These cars are expensive and complicated to build. Don't take the build lightly but you can see from several builders that the finished product is outstanding.

One thought may also be that you might want to look at a proper chassis for the build as well vs. the Fiero. I know there are camps on both sides of this discussion but I personally think a tube frame would be easier to build in the long run as you end up doing a LOT of cutting and shaping on a Fiero frame to get it to work. Again, having said all that, there are a lot of build threads over on KitCentral that can show you what you need to do as many have already done it.......

So in the end, I doubt I have added any value to your decision.

I also like one quote my Father-In_Law used to use..... "Lord hates a coward..... What do you have to lose?"

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

$3000 is a very good price for a Lamborghini Replica especially a D&R Roadster.

However your going to invest the most with the amount of time you will be investing in a project like this. I've always wanted to build a Lamborghini of my own to my specs so it's something I feel like it's worth my time and money however I donno if thats your dream car. I can tell you that doing an exotic most a lamborghini replica will involve the most time and money. check out www.lambobuilder.com dales site offers the best information on building these cars. they certainly aren't a beginners project. You will need a lot of experience, tools and money to complete the car the right way otherwise it may end up becoming a total nightmare for you and maybe your family.

Just some food for thought but if thats what you want go for it.

If after you do all of your research needed to make an educated decision that works for you if you decide not to take this project on...I'd be interested in buying the body and all of the fiberglass parts. So could you let me know what you decide..?

I would say buy it if you have the extra cash.
    If nothing else you can always sell it down the line for probably a profit.
    And keep one thing in mind, it`s not a life changing thing, it`s a friggin car.
    You can spend as much or as little as your experience and pocketbook will allow you.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

price is great for either

Mike Bava body front trunk is completely open after removing the blank

D&R body is slightly different the trunk has built in spots for the hinges an is completly closed for the battery to go their an use a different windshield ,they started with a cut down transport then changed to something else
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey078
    Although I'm just not sure I would want to take on that extensive of a project, is that is even a good price for what it is that he has.

Thoughts?

-C
    This tells me your not ready for it. Assume that the project will take vastly longer and vastly more money than you think when your high-balling it. If that doesn't scare you maybe I'm wrong and you are ready.

I'm not overly concerned about the build labor or final build costs really, I've owned a body shop before I changed careers and have built numerous show vehicles. I can do the fabrication, body work, paint work, interior work, and assembly myself. I just wasn't sure if this was such an amazing deal that one would quickly jump on it if they were in my position.

I've figured the complete build will be in the range of 325 to 375 hours at a total cost around $27,000 to $29,500 doing absolutely everything myself and not making it a "perfect replica". Not including the shop, I have a 3 3/4 car garage at my residence that is empty and clean... I just haven't convinced myself if this is the project that I'd want to take home.

If all is well, I'll be starting some sort of replica project within 2011, but not sure if this is such an AMAZING DEAL that I can't pass up.

-C
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey078

Thoughts?

-C

I'm not overly concerned about the build labor or final build costs really, I've owned a body shop before I changed careers and have built numerous show vehicles. I can do the fabrication, body work, paint work, interior work, and assembly myself. I just wasn't sure if this was such an amazing deal that one would quickly jump on it if they were in my position.

I've figured the complete build will be in the range of 325 to 375 hours at a total cost around $27,000 to $29,500 doing absolutely everything myself and not making it a "perfect replica". Not including the shop, I have a 3 3/4 car garage at my residence that is empty and clean... I just haven't convinced myself if this is the project that I'd want to take home.

If all is well, I'll be starting some sort of replica project within 2011, but not sure if this is such an AMAZING DEAL that I can't pass up.

-C
    And remember, that you are not over budget till it has doubled.

My seat of the pants guess is that this will be 1500 hours and more close to $50k. But only if you keep logs. Without logs, you will never know how much time or money you have in your project.

Quote Originally Posted by ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER
    price is great for either

Mike Bava body front trunk is completely open after removing the blank

D&R body is slightly different the trunk has built in spots for the hinges an is completly closed for the battery to go their an use a different windshield ,they started with a cut down transport then changed to something else
    Very nice rims in that pic. Just wondering how much did those chrome rims costs? They look like real chrome and not the polish rims. As for a d&R kit for 3000.00? That would be a great deal, wasnt the d&r kit 15,000.00 a few years ago? That would be like getting it for free. ;D