Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiero extended sebring windshield

Fiero extended sebring windshield

Looking for a play by play how to install this set up. Thank guys for the help..Lukester

Re: Fiero extended sebring windshield

This is a Cutdown breeze windshield on my Testarossa with new style moulding.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/121/0052c.jpg/

Luke;

The Sebring windshield sits in the Fiero a-pillars and top fairly well overall. There will be a bit of a gap along the top in middle and along the a-pillars about the middle. Grind the paint and stuff off the window frame for pretty much most of the frame where the screen goes so you can get a good bond on the next steps.

You can put some packing tape or some sort of tape along the edges for the Sebring screen to protect the screen from the bondo work you will do shortly. Place the screen into the Fiero window frame. Take some duraglass or other filler and fill the gaps along both a-pillars and the top from the inside so that the filler squishes into the gap and fill it between the Fiero frame and the screen.

The next step is to fill in the gap in front of the Fiero window frame and the now, much further out Sebring screen. A lot of folks will take a piece of cardboard or then wood and lay it down on top of the cowl so that it covers the cowl but does not touch the bottom of the Sebring screen. Now there as a couple ways to fill the gap. You can use expanding foam poured into the gap on top of the cardboard/wood sill making sure it goes past the edge of the screen so you can make the lip when the screen comes off. Once the foam is expanded and hardened, pull the screen off the car and you will the window frame and the cowl pieces in place ready for final shaping and cleanup. You can pull a mould from the cowl foam and pull a piece out or you can just lay some fiberglass over the foam and the shape that. Either way works.

Next, once the duraglass and cowl pieces are shaped and ready, you put your roof panel back on the Fiero and fit the screen and you wil see that you have some body work to do around the a-pillars and the top to shape the roof panel into the slightly different shape of the new screen layout.

When all done, you will have the windshield wiper work to do but that is in Funnywheels' build thread as well as move the latches but I think that is already done on the F40 with the side latches.

Another way to do this set up is to contact IKR and get him to pull a piece from his moulds that are already done for this screen. I am pretty sure IKR got the moulds from the fellow out of Boston that used to haunt this forum way back. If I remember correctly, his username was MadMike.

Anyway, the work can be done but you end up with slightly thicker a-pillars in the middle section which is about all that is really noticeable on this build.

Lastly, you can work with Maron4x4 to get a cut down Breeze or you can get the extended screen the same as the 2004 build. I am calling the glass company today to see if he si done the first couple screens for me so they should be available to the hobby shortly.

Good luck
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Moran4x4 and Don thanks that will work. hopefully it will come out nice. thanks Lukester

Moran4x4 by the way your car is awesome. How did you guys cut down the windshield do you have any info or directions to do it. also do you need the bottom tray? thanks Luke

The bottom tray is part of the dash...CK3 design.....We have scan an orginal Fiero winshield.......We have those meaesurement over a Breeze windshield......Our computer disign now can follow the Breeze curved windshield....We are using a watercutting machine......and some a lo of technique.....go to :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aMPctTRT2I

This is not an easy task.......My winshields fit the original opening......The top part is perfect.The windshield has a little curve comming down the A pillard,you have to install the winshield with the two bottom corners comming in. So now the fit is amazing.....That`s the way to cheat it.....With this install the middle part almost flat....And the moulding hides it....

Looks easy but I have invested 2 grand to get the right formula......Design, computer scan and work...broken windshields.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...STRK:MESELX:IT

Thanks

Mario

Mario so what doI use for the bottom of the windshield? thanks Luke

Mario is using the CK3 dash extension piece that came with his car from Bogdan. I have the mould for that piece if you need a piece pulled. Bartman also has the extended windshield pan from John Watson. I have confirmed that both Bartman's extension and the mould I have works for the extended windshields that were bought back in 2004. This is the same one Mario is using and I don't think he has modified it at all.

Hope that isn't too confusing......

Short answer, call Bartman for a pan or you can buy one of mine but I think Bartman is much closer to you than I am.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Don, thanks for the detailed "howto". How long would you estimate it took you to do all that?

My fitting of my screen was a solid weekend. Still a few bits and things to clean up and paint but it is pretty much in place now.

I fit the tray in place and then pulled the wiper assembly out and drilled the holes into the cowl area in the new locations. The hardest, well not necessarily hardest but longest, was to metal bash out the extended centre wiper transmission tray to weld to the cowl piece. That took a couple hours of banging and fitting and cleaning up.

This is not as difficult as some seem to think it will be to put in. Lots of pics out there already from FunnyWheels and my pics to show folks how to fit the tray and then move the wipers.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV