Thread: Need some advice on 1986 Pontiac Fiero to turn into LP640. Please Help!

Need some advice on 1986 Pontiac Fiero to turn into LP640. Please Help!

Might be buying a 1986 Pontiac Fiero today with the intent of putting an LP640 kit on it. Not sure if the 1986 year has any unusual kinks to it when doing these conversions. All advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Need some advice on 1986 Pontiac Fiero to turn into LP640. Please Help!

1986 is the same year pontiac that I have used, the fiero was made from 84-88... I do know that the only drastic changes that were made were in the year 88... No kinks that I am aware of, but in building the LP640 I stripped the car to the bone any way changing engine, suspension, etc...

Remember to buy a car that is clean underneath as everything you see on top of the car will be of no use to you.

You are buying the car for the frame so look really closely for any frame damage (rust or collision).

Chris

If you are going to put wide suspension on it it makes no difference. Stock, the 88 has better rear suspension. People lately have had some
    trouble getting in touch with the new guy doing the Held suspension and brakes, so I don't know if they are an option any more, and they are not cheap. If you go wide suspension and brakes figure on spending at least 5 times as much for the suspnsion as you paid for the car. Hope you've got deep pockets. There is a lot more to it than buying a $2000 fiero and slapping a $6000 body on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dratts1
    If you are going to put wide suspension on it it makes no difference. Stock, the 88 has better rear suspension. People lately have had some
    trouble getting in touch with the new guy doing the Held suspension and brakes, so I don't know if they are an option any more, and they are not cheap. If you go wide suspension and brakes figure on spending at least 5 times as much for the suspnsion as you paid for the car. Hope you've got deep pockets. There is a lot more to it than buying a $2000 fiero and slapping a $6000 body on it.
    Agreed.

That doesn't include the time and the amount of experience to complete these cars. They sure ain't for beginners. I suggest reading up on www.lambolounge.com and www.lambobuilder.com before you even pickup a fiero. Also have a large arainment of different tools, power tools, saws, and a good mig welder. And have a huge work area cause no one car garage ain't gonna cut it.

I'm with you VF1. I've been checking out Dale's site and the others for years now. I did purchase the Fiero today. I checked out the underside as well as the frame and everything looks good. This particular Fiero has a low profile spoiler on it so when I look through the back windows its almost as if I'm sitting in a Diablo at that moment I appreciate the suggestions guys, if there is any more you would like to share I'm all ears. Wish I could post pics so I'm going to become a patron class member now. I should have done that long ago.