Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best strategy or tool to use to start making a mold of any car?

Whats the best strategy or tool to use to start making a mold of any car?

This is a part of the kit car industry that I really want to know...I would really make some car manufacturer have a heart attack with some of the IDEAS and/or cars I would design! Whats your feed back? 8)

Re: Whats the best strategy or tool to use to start making a mold of any car?

Quote Originally Posted by dbrown41480
    This is a part of the kit car industry that I really want to know...I would really make some car manufacturer have a heart attack with some of the IDEAS and/or cars I would design! Whats your feed back? 8)
    1) if your going to splash (make a mold) of an existing car best tools besides a good lawyer are lots and lots of wax and mold release.
    2) if your going to make a mold of an original design then foam and a CNC machine are your best bet in this day and age.

Best bet is to start with some really good CAD/CAM drawings of your ideas. Every aspect of the vehicle inside and out not just some surface drawings.
    Good Luck

@CarBuilder_That is some great advise, thanks much! I was just kidding bout the making car manufacturers have a heart attack! The kits car scene already has far too many negative vices as it is! I'll make it work the best way I know how! Thanks Again!

I would first start by learning to use a good 3D modeling program. Rhino 3D is what many designers use, but there are some low cost options as well. For example, ViaCAD is an excellent choice for 3D modeling. Blender, another very capable choice, is a free program that you can download.

After creating your design in 3D, you can then make 2D profiles from which you can trace your body contours into foam. Or, if you have the money, a good CAM setup can carve your design directly from the 3D model file.

That's where I would start! Oh, and read every book you can find on fiberglass or composite construction techniques.

For the record, how much does it cost to get a buck cnc milled? Is foam the best media, or is there something better?

Quote Originally Posted by RHK
    For the record, how much does it cost to get a buck cnc milled? Is foam the best media, or is there something better?
    Thousand a foot, plus small parts. Like get it CNC'd with doors off so you can get the jam details but then you have to pay to get the doors cut.

Well, I am one of those guys that can and has machined foam parts for mold making. I have made parts for IKR and Bartman here on the site, as well as a university in Cali for use in making an electric formula 1 race car.

I had to disappear from the scene for 3 years while taking care of my wife who was battling cancer, but she lost that battle Feb 23rd. Since that time I have worked very little just learning how to deal with life. I have however, been retooling my shop. I am in the process of building a new machine to produce my product line of rifle stocks and pistol grips, and when that is finished, my old machine will be re built into a 4ft by 7ft by 3ft envelop and will have full 5 axis. I won't be taking any new work until I have everything ready, but when ready, I will announce it in the mall, assuming we can still do that.

To answer the question about foam being the best choice, the answer is a yes/no! ;D For cost, ease of machining, portability etc, foam is best. For the finest buck possible my choice would be mdf, but the cost is going to be enormous, it will be so heavy you won't be able to move it, but it will last for multiple molds if needed. The surface of the mdf would be much quicker to prep for pulling molds, but I have no idea about cost comparisons. One advantage is the ability to seal it then go directly to primer. In addition, the cusp, or little ridges left between tool paths will be useable for guides during the priming and sanding process. Prime it, block it and the little ridges will show, keep sanding till there is almost not promer, then prime again, use a guide coat and in short time, you will have a very smooth surface ready for molds.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bartman
    Quote Originally Posted by RHK
    Thousand a foot, plus small parts. Like get it CNC'd with doors off so you can get the jam details but then you have to pay to get the doors cut.
    OOPS, someone PM'd me thinking I did CNC routing...NO, I have had it done by a number of sources. When I used to do street rods, Molicam cut some for me, since Turmite has cut some. Turmite's main business is not cutting really big stuff but I think he is working on that. Molicam and others who cater to boatbuilders can cut cars in one block. But a grand a foot or more.

You guys are the best when It comes to the knowledge of Kits and Body work. I am currently in school now to learn the basics of auto-collision and repair! I feel that this would be a good start in learn and soon mastering the kit car scene. Its is a lot of knowledge to soak up and I've done a lot of surfing the net and searching different site (U.S and over seas) for information. I like to see when a car is complete, as well as the whole build process. I even go as far as to download and burn alot of the vids off of Youtube and other sites just to see IN LIVING COLOR how its suppose to go! I ordered the extreme build dvd just recently, I already have some of the DNA builds on DVD!!

welcome dbrown stick around you will like it ;D