Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to start on a low budget

How to start on a low budget

At the moment, I don't make very much moolah so building a kit car at a $20,000 MINIMUM is still very much out of my price range. I want to start learning to do this stuff but I have neither the tools nor the cash to just start a new hobby. What are some of your suggestions to get things rolling because I'm really interested in doing this stuff. I've become pretty good at drawing CAD-like drawings of cars and what-not and I'd either like to make them a reality or make a lambo... either one, or both work for me!

So what are your tips on starting out in something like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Re: How to start on a low budget

Rob a bank? ;D

Seriously though, you'll need to buy your donor first. Which means you need to decide on your kit before that, to make sure you get the right donor. And before you decide that, you need to talk to the manufacturers AND folks on this board to learn what to watch out for.
    Sad to say, but even some of the more reputable builders have known bad customer service and occasionally stiff folks for big $, or never deliver ALL the parts you pay for. Crap happens.
    After narrowing down what style replica you want, keep in mind not all kits are easily put together. Some require much more tools and talent even though they mimic the same style car. If you don't have a lot of tools, look for one that doesn't require a lot of modifying the donor to get the body on. Get yourself a good set of basic mechanic tools if you don't have some already.
    Then, if you're married price a divorce lawyer and buy a kit! ;D

Lol, thankfully I'm not married nor have kids. Just turned 19. I was looking at tube chassis and those seem to me to be a better choice if I want to make it feel like a sports car, but they tend to be more expensive. I do however know people that can teach me how to put it together, it's just getting the money to do it thats the problem ya know?

OK

1st if you have NEVER built a kit before then go for a cheap kit like the Westfield as a starter, they are easy to build and go like shit off a shovel if the drive train is set right.

2nd research, reseach and research ... A lot of guys claim the have a Replica of a car, when in fact it is a look-a-like, because a replica is something that is 98% to 100% like the original. If you want a Replica then you will be looking for something like what DC Supercars offers or Mirage for example and the build time is a few years and not really easy projects. If you want a look-a-like and something easy and cheap then there are 100's of kits like the G28 in the US(Not Knocking the G28).

What ever you decide the goal is to have fun building it ... ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Playboy_Replicas

1st if you have NEVER built a kit before then go for a cheap kit like the Westfield as a starter, they are easy to build and go like sh*t off a shovel if the drive train is set right.
    Do you happen to have a link or something for the Westfield?

You in the USA?

UNITED STATES DEALERS

Manik Technologies, LLC
    819 Arapaho
    Suite 24B - #164
    Richardson, TX 75080
    USA

Tel: +1 972.358.1460

e-mail: info@manikllc.com

Manik Technologies, LLC is the North American agent for Westfield Sports cars Ltd. For information, questions, please contact us under above address.

Flyin Miata
    499 35 Rd
    Palisade, Colorado 81526
    USA

Tel: +1 970.464.5600

e-mail: sales@fmwestfield.com

There is also Caterham in the USA they also do a Lotus 7 Replica
    Caterham USA
    1212 W. Custer Pl.
    Denver, CO 80223
    Tel: 303.765.0247
    Fax: 303.274.0875
    7info@caterhamusa.com
    http://www.caterhamusa.com/

I built a Westfield back in the early 1990ís as my first car, then a G-Force Cobra and started on a IFG 25th Countach but the X-wife forced me to end that project in the Divorce.

Both the Westfield and Caterham are fast cars and I do mean fast, you can search 100ís of videos on Youtube about them.

Good Luck!

I want to very honest with you, and Im speaking only because I have finished a Diablo replica- Only having the desire to build to build a replica is not enough to get one finished. Not having tools, experience and mostly money the odds are stacked against you to ever finish a project as massive as a tubed framed replica. Im not saying it cant be done, and by no way want to discourge you but your just not in a good enough position to start something like this right now in your life.

Now if you had $30k-$50k in cash and a shop full of good tools and alot of free time you would have a better chance of building something you would be proud of. I would recommend buying a Fiero (they will make you become a mechinc) or a MR2/3 and start on fixing/upgrading up the engine/transmission/brakes/suspension/ect. Once its in perfect running running condition then decide if you want to sell it and forward the funds to start a tube frame build replica or just use the car for the base for a replica. Regardless you will have gained experience on working on cars and will have a better understanding if building a replica is something you even want to do.

OR- Your not marraried, no kids, Heck- get a second or third job, or start some small business that you could make extra money from. Put 100% of those earnings in a savings account.... DONT TOUCH IT EVER!!! Untill you get $15 to $20k saved then start watching ebay, craigslist, for unfinished replica projects that someone has given up on... You can pick up a project where alot of the hard work is done and mostly needs finish up work.

Im sorry if I came off rough on you- Im just telling you the facts...

Im sorry if I came off rough on you- Im just telling you the facts...
    DITTO

Stock up on Tools first and have a wide enough workspace Then search for a donor car.

Well if you can get 30k a member on this board can build you a exact completed murcie for that price. Just save up 30k and then you should be good to go! I forgot his name hes building a great murcie right now on the forum. He also sells dicounted lambo parts as well. Give him a email or look at the build threads on the general forum. Hope this helps.