Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: quality kit makers

quality kit makers

there are quality kit makers out there, the problem is that everyone wants cheap, when you want cheap you get cheap, ive been around and dont advertise much because people want to beat you up on price ,then they want free stuff
    YOU always get what you pay for ask russ

Re: quality kit makers

No its greed. I know its pricey and time consuming to make a kit from scratch. but when you splashed someone elses kit you have nothing into but the $800 in material to make a new kit. Labor is worth $1000
    so lets say $1800 into it. Some people wanna double the price for the headache of dealing with customers makes $3600. I dont see how a splashed kit should EVER cost more than $4k. thats gouging and greedy. Then to also give crappy parts is a joke. Anyone who wants to argue this can see that cobra kits come mint. and cheap. WHY? because they are so plentyful that if you try to sell junk or over priced then they will just go somewhere else. Your reventon is an exception because you guys took the time to design it. but if cki splashes your kit anything over 4k is a rip off

ok but then the customer service falls off and your back to trying to save , Look i know the world revolves around money but its alot easier to have good references than make an extra 100 dollars
    you know this green

The problem comes when someone trying to sell a kit advertise it as a quality product and it's delivered as a total POS. I agree with Green, quality kits can be built at a decent price and there have been good examples of this for years. The worse of the worse has everything to do with someone trying to save a buck in construction or simply being unequipped in tools or talent to build a quality product.

The investment has to be made in the quality of the materials and construction process and shortcuts in quality shouldn't be taken to save a buck unless this is fully disclosed to the buyer ahead of time and they are fully aware of the safety risk or extra costs in time and material that will be required to fix these problems.

I can't believe that anyone would defend undisclosed quality issues with a product on "the buyer would've expected this". If this is the rule, I suppose it's ok for McDonald's to start serving raccoon meat in place of beef to save a buck and it's the buyers fault for not going into the kitchen to watch it being made.

Come on guys... really.. we wonder why the hobby has picked up such a bad rep.

Chris

Hey now....don't be bagging on raccoon meat! You just ain't lived till you done had a good 'coon burger!! LOL! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by jntramey
    Hey now....don't be bagging on raccoon meat! You just ain't lived till you done had a good 'coon burger!! LOL! ;D
    Being from Texas there is a chance you've had it. I haven't but I know people who have

I hear that a Mc Coon is alot like a Mc Rib but it's served with a little mask. 8)

Come to think of it... this might have been a bad example... does anyone really know what's in a Mc Rib?

Chris

Long john silvers got sued for selling "Lobster bites" which were not really lobster but hermit crabs :-X

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmeansgo
    Long john silvers got sued for selling "Lobster bites" which were not really lobster but hermit crabs :-X
    Shame on the people that bought them.. they should've known better I suppose.

Chris

hey green i understand your point of view, and not that i am disagreeing with you but as i have been molding a 640 body i have been getting from john watson, and simular materials i am way over 800.00 just in resin and its the same resin that i will use to make the bodies with. yes their is a nasty rep in this biz due to people trying to use materials that they should be, or not useing enough materials, the lack of talent or even know how. and yes their is alot of greed in the biz. i have seen alot of work that is just well just makes me ill. what i dont understand is most of these guys out their building stuff dont use certian products, for instance radius compound. it cost 150.00 or so for a 5 gallon pail that will last for a very very long time. like over the course of several bodies. it makes for a much nicer product. and if used properly their should not be any voids in your glass work speacilly in your corners. another one is sanding gelcoat on exterior panels cost twice as much as the normal gelcoat. but honestly what is 1 to 200 more dollars if helps you put out an outstanding product. a drum of resin does cost me well over a 1000 bucks but the resin does a much nicer job wetting out the mat or cloth. it is way thinner than gp resin which in turn my parts are going to be lighter and thinner while still having the same amount matting and cloth. and then the best part is you would practically have to take a torch to a panel in order to get it to warp. yes it has a very high viscosity rating of 600+. red paints produce the most heat and some even go as high as 550 degree + or -. imho would it not make sense to use these kind of materials? specially for the peice of mind to be able to park it in the baking sun in some parking lot and know that when i go back at the end of the day the body will still be straight. unlike some of the older corvettes and such. i dont care how thick the body is, if you use cheap resin it will move around on you. and i hate to say this but most out their do use the cheap stuff because of greed and because of greed alot out their will not use the products available or the right products. but yet them same people will down chinese tools and stuff. hhhmmm