Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this sound (Diablo v-12)?

What is this sound (Diablo v-12)?

Hello guys, I have a curious question, I have looked a several real diablo's and have noticed that when first starting them that there is a motor whining noise before the motor actually fires???? Is this some type of compression relief that allows the v-12 to spin freely before it fires due to how hard it would be to have a starter to spin the v-12 under compression? I know there are compression reliefs on Harley's when you bump up the compression to do this because the starters don't like to spin them otherwise. Just curious but it has been buggin the heck out of me to know. Thanks, Jeff

Re: What is this sound (Diablo v-12)?

My v12 BMW makes the same sounds when cranking as the real car. There is no compression relief or anything like that. I believe it is because there are so many compression strokes during a single rotation compared to a regular engine. It sounds very smooth while cranking.

You are also hearing the wine of the gear reduction starter

i think its the starter...

Because of a V12 having so many cylinders, the compression is "evenly spread out" when one is cranking. It sounds as if the engine has no compression at all when you're trying to start it. The whining noise is actually the starter that you're hearing. That's the way all V12's sound. Jaguar, BMW, Lamborghini, etc. all do this.

Ok, thanks for the info. now if we could only reproduce that sound so our replicas sound like that when they start without having to put a v-12 in it. lol It's the first thing I listen for now when I hear someone start there exotic, that's kind of the dead giveaway for me. Take care all!

Hey McG I believe you can get a starter like that for your 3.8 sc (i think that's what you have) I am not sure if it will sound just like the v12 one though. I am going to check for one that will fit a 3.4L DOHC, my buddy has that motor in his vendetta and with the way the car sounds now if it would make that whine while starting it would be over the top!

Thanks Rundlc, if you get one let me know how it sounds.

I wanted the sound for my car also. My mechanic was able to duplicate it, it has something to do with the starter. He said something about offsetting something, i'll ask him tomorrow and let you know soon.

Just talked to my mechanic, he said (he doesn't recommend this), but he said most gm starters have a "shimi" ,a metal piece that lines up starter. He took one out, and the out of linement almost duplicated the sound. Bad thing is can wear out starter sooner. But is sounded almost real....