Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Kit cars going to be a thing of the past soon?

Are Kit cars going to be a thing of the past soon?

Look at some of these new cars coming out chocked full of technology. For instance look at the countach, to the Diablo, then the Murcielago and now the Aventador is loaded with technology inside and outside.

Look at the headlights of the Aventador, is something like that even possible to replicate anymore? What is that strip of constant light made out of? Will it be feasible to spend $15,000 on just the front lights for a kit car?

Re: Are Kit cars going to be a thing of the past soon?

I disagree. look at older kit car v/s today's kit cars. Automobile manufacturers raise the bar and so will the kit industry. A quick example, look at the use of CNC machines to make plugs, years ago this process was not used (to my knowledge) now it is a common practice. The cars we build may not be exact, but the bar can raised (See Murcie Me build)

More than likely the homebuilt (kit car) will disappear due to legislation requiring the vehicle to pass crash tests, safety tests, smog tests, fuel useage tests and require some engineer to certify the modifications, etc. etc. etc.
    The point being the paper work will become so expensive and so deep you will not get the vehicle registered or insured,,,

I think more and more people will move away from REPLICAs and return to REAL KIT CARS ... At the moment people want a quick ​​ and make replicas, but give it time and the Kit Car(Replica) industry will return to what is was and that was original designs and NOT replicas!

People will continue to make their own cars. Most of the technology is nothing more than marketing. You have to make people feel as though they are buying something new otherwise they'll keep the same car for 20 years. Air bags and emissions are all things that can be taken from production cars, so there aren't any worries there. If laws are made where every single car has to be crash tested then people will restrict themselves to making body kits to rebody production cars instead of custom tube chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0nut
    I disagree. look at older kit car v/s today's kit cars. Automobile manufacturers raise the bar and so will the kit industry. A quick example, look at the use of CNC machines to make plugs, years ago this process was not used (to my knowledge) now it is a common practice. The cars we build may not be exact, but the bar can raised (See Murcie Me build)
    I have to agree with this.. I think that the materials are becoming easier and more flexible to work with and the newer technology used to build the plugs continues to become more available to the normal person. The insurance issues can be overcome with speciality insurance companies and the safety requirements for air bags and crash testing only apply to new cars (at least for now). I believe that the big jump of replicas on the market only represents the number of supercars that are out there now to replicate. Twenty years ago, you would've been lucky to find 10 true super cars and now almost every car brand has at least one and many other company's are build completely around super cars.

I predict that the next wave of unique designs will come from the practicallity of the "home CNC gantry". Do a You Tube search on home built CNC machines and I think you'll be amazed by the type of machine that can be built today that would've been an impossibility five years ago. Most of us have sketches of car designs that we'd love to build but lack a practical way or carving it from clay or foam and then having the molds pulled from it.

Just like 6.0 said, look at the quality of the builds being turned out today compared to the "drop a one piece body onto a VW pan" of yesterday and I think that everyone will agree that the builds are becoming more and more complex which is very good for our hobby.

Just my 2 cents..

Chris

After I found out what that awesome luminescent material in the Aventador's headlight was, it brought hope back to me! So Now I am pushing back on my stance and know we can replicate that headlight!

ON another note, do you guys believe the Aventador has outgrown the Fiero? I mean the Murcielago was a Huge car and the G28 shrunk it a bit and it worked out and we got away with it. But Now the Aventador is significantly bigger then the Murci in Length, width and wheelbase. I mean I think it's 7 inches longer then the Murci!

Well I honestly don't think it would be impossible to replicate an Aventador considering 10 years ago we thought it would be impossible to replicate the Murcielago only 2 years later we saw the G24, then the G28 and Extreme's kit and so on. I can only speculate that the same will happen with the Aventador, the enzo replacement, and such.

The only reason I could see kit cars becoming a thing of the past is the fact that most REAL exotics from the late 80's to the 90's and even early 2000's are beginning to drop in value. For an example one could buy a real Ferrari 348 these day's for the same price as a brand new camaro if they look hard enough. Another person could buy a real Lamborghini Diablo for the same price as a Nissan GTR, Gallardo's and 360's are already coming down in price rapidly. The only major problem with buying an original is maintaince costs but you'd have to ask yourself if you were prepared to build a car yourself couldn't you maintain an exotic car on your own as well? If you have all the tools and the faclity to do all the work yourself its a matter of buying parts and putting the wrench time in on your own.

Unless people must have a newer exotic sportscar like an Aventador, 458 and such I don't see much of the replicar business exploding in the next 10 years but only kits like the Superlite, Ultima, GTM and Smyth, Baileyblade. original designs will be the ones leading the way in the kitcar market soon.

Quote Originally Posted by VF1Skullangel
    Well I honestly don't think it would be impossible to replicate an Aventador considering 10 years ago we thought it would be impossible to replicate the Murcielago only 2 years later we saw the G24, then the G28 and Extreme's kit and so on. I can only speculate that the same will happen with the Aventador, the enzo replacement, and such.

The only reason I could see kit cars becoming a thing of the past is the fact that most REAL exotics from the late 80's to the 90's and even early 2000's are beginning to drop in value. For an example one could buy a real Ferrari 348 these day's for the same price as a brand new camaro if they look hard enough. Another person could buy a real Lamborghini Diablo for the same price as a Nissan GTR, Gallardo's and 360's are already coming down in price rapidly. The only major problem with buying an original is maintaince costs but you'd have to ask yourself if you were prepared to build a car yourself couldn't you maintain an exotic car on your own as well? If you have all the tools and the faclity to do all the work yourself its a matter of buying parts and putting the wrench time in on your own.

Unless people must have a newer exotic sportscar like an Aventador, 458 and such I don't see much of the replicar business exploding in the next 10 years but only kits like the Superlite, Ultima, GTM and Smyth, Baileyblade. original designs will be the ones leading the way in the kitcar market soon.
    The problem with "maintaining" an exotic is STILL the cost a ton for the parts, not to mention that you kill the value of it by not having the proper service documentation from an authorized source. Besides would you want to purchase the specialized tools required to maintain them or have a car that should be worth $XXXX be reduced to $xxx.xx because you serviced it???

When it comes to testing of cars, that is not a requirement until you sell more than a certain amount of them per year, so not an issue. Though I wold like to see more of the unique designs make it to 'glass

I think the newer automatic Exotics are a lot more reliable. If you can afford the gas you can pretty much use them as daily drivers! Now my stick shift genuine needed about 10k of maintenance off the bat! Do yourself a favor and dont get stick shift.