Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: short steering column

short steering column

I have run into a small problem and before I hit the yard maybe someone here can give me a hint that may shortem my search

I need a short steering column about 14 inches in lentgth, having a U joint at no more than about 18-20 inches away from steering wheel. I have couple however they are too long as I need to route the shaft to clear pedal mounting bracket.
    I was looking at some Chrysler ones and Lexus, unfortunetaly they are all too long.

Any sugestions are appreciated.

Re: short steering column

Alfa Romeo 164 has a short shaft.

Grant

I am planning on using a Chrysler LXI column on my build. The shaft is collapsible. There has been a discussion on the forum a while back with your same issue.

I was looking into this problem as well for when I do my build. I was thinking of using one from an early(92-00) honda civic. Do you guys think this would work?

Did a quick search for Alfas, they are not that common unfortunetaly at least not in my neck of woods

As to the LXi, I beleive they might be ok from whe wheel side to the mounting point but in front of that they have fairly long neck before it hits U joint.

I took a quick peek at my accord, did not had the time to measure anything but it looks like it may have right dimmensions. I guess there is nothing better then start taking few of them out and see how they look.

I know that my civic steering column is pretty short as well due to the fact that the rack and pinion is right under the pedal assembly and is collapsible in case of an impact as well. I am leaning more towards this option being that I don't want a long column sticking out of my dash. I'm a 6'6" former football center.... need to make room where I can! lol

Look into a 1968-1982 Corvette column. It is telescoping so you can shorten or lengthen it. not sure of the dimensions but it's worth a look.

I'm not that far behind you 6' 5"

A friend of mine had a Pontiac Sunfire - I'm fairly tall at 6'3", and it always seemed the steering column was way too far forward when I drove that car. Might be worth a look.

only reason why I'm leaning towards the 92-00 civic column is because I plan to use an NRG quick release on it. I Would definately look into the Sunfire if the aftermarket availability was there for it.