Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance for Kits in Toronto

Insurance for Kits in Toronto

Hi, I just joined this site, and have found the quality of information on here to be quite high.
    I live in Toronto Ontario, and am hoping to purchase a Turnkey kitcar very soon, I hoping for an exotic like a 355 Spyder. I plan on this car being my weekend, summer ride. My question is how does one insure a kit like this for everyday use. I spoke with my broker from Zurich and they would not even touch me on it because it was a kit, instead they refered me to a "High-Risk" Insurance group. This high risk insurer knew exactly what a kit was and gave me the quote of $12,000!!! mind you I am a 19 year old driver, however I have no tickets, accidents, or claims. I would appreciate any advice, insurance companies, or suggestions you might have to help me, thanks for anything you have to offer..

kitcarnut

Re:Insurance for Kits in Toronto

Well after 5 years my insurance told me adios amigo no more kit cars. I spend days on phone with all kinds of insurance company,MTO, and Ontario goverment re where in the hell can I get any kind of insurance.
    #1 if you have simple rebody on Fiero it's a KitCar.
    #2 if you changed dash and removed VIN # it's a KitCar registered in the year you finished.let say 2003 you title year is 2003
    #3 if you have tube frame build up kitcar(no donor) you are basicaly F....d.cause it's now Homebuild ( HOM) and you have to go through so many regulation and safety it'll make you cry.
    and when you get any insurance it is not worth it to drive for those 3-4months in Ontario climate.
    anybody knows of any Insurance company that would? let me know

Lant & Co. Insurance Brokers Ltd.
    37 Sandiford Drive, Suite 100, Stouffville, ON L4A 7X5
    Phone: (905) 640-4111 Fax: (905) 640-4450 Toll Free: (800)461-4099
    E-mail: Tony@Lant-ins.ca
    http://www.lant-ins.ca/

Tell them that Powerhouse Sports.net sent you!

But truth be told... @ 19.. you'll pay through the nose to drive a sports car or "high Risk" vehicle. Simply because your years of driving are not that great... I however realised i am getting old when i discover why my insurance company gives me discounts LOL
    The Needles Dance, The Gauges Glow,
    As Engine Speed & Heartbeat Grow,
    Gears They Shift 'Neath Anxious Thumbs,
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...
    Formerly: Powerhouse

www.facebook.com/TheCalgaryBatman

Transam: Who are you planing on buying a turn key from? There aren't really any 355 "Turn Key" builders in the Toronto area which are legit (I.e. all I know about have cheated numerous people, or no longer sell kits because of ferrari legal team)

I am selling my 355 project in Toronto BTW ... :P

Your car looks good Ari... But I would be lost trying to complete a kit like that, thanks for the offer though... If anyone does know where I can get a good Turnkey 355 or any other model for that matter, in Greater Toronto Area, I'm all ears.. Thanks

kitcarnut

Powerhouse, Lant will insure any special interest cars ,but it must be 15 years or older.since my replica was re register in 93 as Kitcar from Fiero(due to getting pulled over every day what's going on,Fiero tags/Lamborghini car)
    so if I don't find any I'll swap the title again,but it cost few bucks again.
    I'll bet you guys have lot better rates in your province than here in Ont.

Transam: I'm paying someone now to finish off the mounting for me, and I'll be sanding it for most of the first half of the summer. Hope to have it completed by the end of the summer (Although technically these things are never completed!)

Ari: I'm glad to hear your going to finish your kit, it must be nice knowing when its gonna be done. Are you going to sell it, when it's done? Or enjoy it?

Both probably: drive it for a year then sell it, if I can afford insurance for a year that is :P