Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to start???

How to start???

I'm new to the kit car world. I've been looking at them for a little while though. I don't know where to start at all but i'm hoping for some guidence. I want to know of some RELIABLE websites to purchase a kit. I'm thinking about some kind of ferrari, like a 360, or 458. I want to know the steps that you guys take in which to complete a project. Thank you all for your help.

Whats your budget and do you think you can take on a challenge to make your own kit?

I assume you have some experience working with cars since you're thinking about taking on this task. Also, welding, fabrication, and general engineering skills, working with fiberglass and bondo will be helpful. You must have the adequate space as well (Something most commonly overlooked). You should have at least a two car garage to work on it comfortably.

Reading your question you are a little unsure of what car you want to build. You should be dead set on what you want to reproduce. Throughout the challenge you will most likely go through lulls and doubts and even think about giving up. So the passion has to be there. They say on here that Less than 5% of builds actually get finished.

Once you have your mind set on a car...you have to start looking for a donor car. Here's how I see it. If you buy from someone cheap it's because they've normally let it go and have not maintained it very well. A/C will more than likely not be operative and there will more than likely be some kind of mechanical issues. I got mine through an auction ex. Copart. with minor body damage. It's a gamble, but alot of times these cars are rather low mileage, running good, and a/c is working good when they acquire the damage (b/c it is an accident that causes the car to be retired, not father time). Since you will not need the body components anyway, I think it's the best way to go. I wouldn't buy some guys Fiero that's been sitting rusting away in the backyard with a ton of mileage and hasn't been started in 2 years. Even if I have to pay more for the donor up front it will save you $$ later on. Anyway, that's how I see it.

After you get your donor and your "kit". It's time to set up shop and get to work. Stripping the donor and cutting where need to be cut and stretching if need be. put in the V8-V12 (you said you wanted a replica) along with a transmission and driveshaft that can handle the power. Mount body kit to donor, set up your suspension, brakes, wheels and tires, recreate the doors, sand paper is your new best friend that you love to hate, body work, body work, paint, interior (please don't use the Fiero interior/gauges/dash if you go that way.....much too outdated to be in a modern "exotic").

You should expect to overspend on your $$$ budget and time budget. Good luck with everything and hopefully you will be in the small percentile that actually finish their car. Sorry, I don't know any good sources for a Ferrari kit car. Car Kit, Inc. sells the F355 and 360 but the 360 looks horrible (IMHO) they are better for the Lambo kits.
    Last edited by notnilc20; 11-20-2011 at 03:17 PM.

I recommend Factory Five. They have many types of cars to build and are a very established company. They sell KITS.
    You could build a Cobra, a Cobra coupe, a GTM, a 34 street rod, or a new kit is coming based on a Subaru. All very nice, and all are based on one donor car. They are a good place to "get your feet wet" in building your own car.

RT

Ask a lot of questions
    Define a budget (then double it) and accuracy of your build, this will help you to determine whos' body you buy.
    Be realistic about your abilities and/ or your willingness to learn (or spend money) to get things done, some.... MOST of these builds require a TON of fabrication.

Then if you have not been dissuaded..... enjoy the build cause it can tak a while

This might not me relevant to my case as I'm building something custom of my own so the standard donor and body type setup does not apply. Never the less My crazy thought was that I can have it build for under 20k. Well what I have so far is outside body panels, 80% of tubes in my frame (no sheet metal yest) complete C5 front suspension and almost welded up rear custom hubs. z06 brakes, rims/tires, majority of suspention components and tons of custom machined parts. And just that is starting to creep up onto my budget limit.
    By the time I'm done I'm sure I'll be able to buy 7 series BMW from showroom floor.

Plan a budget, buy tools, have a place to work at and store your project. did I mention plan a budget? Buy a donorcar, shop around for a body and start working.

It may take me a while to finish my project when I start because of my budget. I have had a little experience with bando. But the space and a donor car and the right KIT are my current concern right now. Im gonna focus on getting space first, then the car, then the KIT

I'd recommend just buying a finished car or almost finished car. You can get a great discount in eBay or the mall here

Starting from scratch you are going to spend tears and years oif time and $25-60k

If you should consider purchasing a kit car that is part way done. You could certainly save a bunch of money and time. Although many people sell them for a bunch of different reasons.

No time –
    It’s taken much more time than they ever thought. The wife said something like the “car or me” and the wife won.

No money –
    They bought the donor and kit cheap but found out to finish it they would have to take a second mortgage on the home. (revert back to the no time) answer.

Found out they did it all wrong for years and now want to unload it -
    The left side of the car is 2 inches longer than the left. The windows don’t fit and the car won’t start and you can’t remember what wire went where.

All things to consider. Have fun……