Thread: Door jambs

Door jambs

hello,
    I'm in the process to start the fabrication of the body of my car (my own design). It will be done in fiberglass. I have a friend that own a boat shipyard with a very large 5-axis milling machine.
    So, I would like to mill a full size car model in polystirene to use for laminating the molds.
    My question is: what do you think will be the best way to approach to the door jambs and the inner surface of the rocker panel ? if I mill the entire body, I will have only the door skins and I will need to manually model the inner surfaces.... making the doors as separate part will be probably the best but will be also costing more in milling service...
    any suggestion ?
    thanks.

Wouldn't it make sense to mill the entire car first and then cut the doors out and finish the jambs by hand before pulling the molds. I would also think that if your stuff was designed correctly in a CAD program that you could mill the doors seperate from the body plug and mill the jambs into the body with the rest of the car.

I've never had the experience of building a buck so I'm only speculating on how I'd do this and I'm really interested in following this thread to see how others that have done this, approach the construction.

Chris

Take a mold of the outer door skin first then cut it out of the foam body and carve your door jambs.

I found this on Facebook

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...36_50922_n.jpg

yeap i think that would be the best thing to do

The methods above are the best for making the jambs and its verly easy to do. This is the same process I have gone through when making my panels. But you will have to think further into making the inner door shell as well as it needs to be bit smaller and have clearances for things like seals, locks, hinges and what not ...

Quote Originally Posted by chimaera View Post
    The methods above are the best for making the jambs and its verly easy to do. This is the same process I have gone through when making my panels. But you will have to think further into making the inner door shell as well as it needs to be bit smaller and have clearances for things like seals, locks, hinges and what not ...
    yes. This is exactly what I was thinking about... How did you build your inner door shells ? Manually ? I can cut the door sking and work on inner jambs. But I'm a little bit concerned about matching manually the exact inner edges and clearance when building the inner door shell

mill the entire car without the doors, with the door jams already plugged in the cad design. and mill the doors seperately. This would go for the hood and the hatch also if you plan on having them.

I have not made the inner door shell's yet as I'm not at that stage yet. I was going to build up the spacing with some sort of filler that I can easylie remove. Prep surface of it to fine finish and lay up gellcoat/fibreglass as normal and I would basically end up with the part. Then I would remove the filler. But if you are going to use CNC anyway and have dimensions of the door sills/jambs, for bit extra time I probably would do them as seperate part just as ncrazyballa had sugested

Quote Originally Posted by PabloPicasso View Post
    yes. This is exactly what I was thinking about... How did you build your inner door shells ? Manually ? I can cut the door sking and work on inner jambs. But I'm a little bit concerned about matching manually the exact inner edges and clearance when building the inner door shell