Thread: Windshield frame

Windshield frame

Looking for a solution for a roadster windshield frame. The outer shall will be molded in fiberglass but I guess that a sort of tubolar alluminum / steel core is needed in order to give a good stiffness to the assembly.

I do not have any donor windshield frame so I need to build it from scratch. I will appreciate any your suggestion and past experience. thanks.

any help ?

I would put a steel frame that is attached to the chassis, then attach the fiberglass to it.

What are you looking to do?

I used 1.5" X 1/8"wall round steel tube tubing to build a perimeter for the windshield frame. Bend the tubing to match the fiber glass then weld it together with the body roughed in place.
    Close is good enough. Remove the body and reinforce the corners and the bottom mounts. For final body assembly, use windshield urethane to adhere the fiberglass body to the steel frame work.
    It will prove to be very solid.

Contact Macgiver on this forum, he can help you.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I used rectangler steel for mine and I think it came out pretty good for a first time attempt.

Name:  IMG00182-20110926-2043.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  IMG00164-20110926-2038.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  96.6 KB

I would strongly suggest that you invest in a tube roller and maybe consider a large press for the heavier tubing (bought both of mine from Harbor Freight). I still have some reinforcing to do, but I've climbed up and sat on it in the middle of the top frame (all 265 Lbs of me) and it didn't move at all. Jdinner hit it on the head when he said to use a gasket material like windshield urethane to ahere the body to the frame. I've seen guys screw everything together or use nothing to attach them together and this is asking for a cracked windshield. There should be enough "float" to allow the windshield and a pllars to flex as one piece during extreme driving but also be secured enough to the frame of the car for much needed strength and support. Make it too tight with screws or other mechanical fastners and the energy will be transfered directly to the glass. Make it too loose and the body / windshield assembly will take all the stress and eventually break and rattle on you. Think of the seal between the body and frame as being a strong but flexible shock absorber instead of the glass taking all of the stress.

Chris

thanks for the info. What do you eaxctly mean for urethane ? I know urethane paint but I guess you are referring to something more like a glue, right ?

yes, the same stuff that is used to glue in your windshield