Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corvette Stingray Concept build

Corvette Stingray Concept build

I am new to this site and was very impressed by the project build diaries. I am making a car that is loosely based on the Corvette Stingray concept car that GM came out with years ago. I started with a 1990 C4 Corvette and added foam to get the general shape. In hindsight I should have started with a C5 Corvette (longer wheelbase to match the concept car) but I had the C4, it was a relatively cheap starting point for "I wonder if I could..." and the project just took on a life of its own. Currently I have about 400 hours into the project. I hope to have the foam done and fiberglass on it by the end of January. February will be final bodywork and paint. The car was purchased a while back with a blown engine (the plan was to steal the suspension for another project). Since the engine is blown I plan to build a 600+ horsepower engine for the car. I have always wanted to build my own supercar from scratch so later plans include a custom interior and a full tube frame with adjustable suspension. I have a web site but right now it is nothing but pictures I have taken along the way with my camera phone.

I have inserted a few pictures.
    Name:  IMG01190.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  89.6 KBName:  IMG01187.jpg
Views: 4241
Size:  92.8 KBName:  IMG01191.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  96.2 KB

Yesterday was spent shortening and rounding the front end. I need to move the pivot point for the front end and make a set of hinges and I want the pivot point as far forward and as low as possible.

The current site is WendelWorks.com. I plan to create a new site for this project when/if I ever get some free time.

Jack

Keep up the good work dude, I know its a LOT of work and It will be worth it when your done!!

Wow Jack that’s quite an undertaking. I saw that concept car at the Tampa auto show last year. Actually it wasn’t really the concept car. It was just a mock up of it. It looked good from a distance but when I got close to it I saw that the body lines were pin stripe and the windows were plex-glass.

Keep up the good work. Nice to see people building stuff here in the states.

I don't mean to discourage you but it looks too short and stubby with the short t c4 wheelbase

Another builder has already made thic concept using the c6 chassis
    See
    Corvette Stingray Concept Replica from Z and M Customs - autoevolution

If you are doing this for your own enjoyment that's awesome, but I'd doubt it would sell well. The guy using the c6 has had a hard time selling the 2-3 units he completed
    Last edited by Fauxrrari; 01-15-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Looks cool to me. I'd suggest raising the rocker panels tho, bottoming out on the fiberglass would be bad!!

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Wow Jack thatís quite an undertaking. I saw that concept car at the Tampa auto show last year. Actually it wasnít really the concept car. It was just a mock up of it. It looked good from a distance but when I got close to it I saw that the body lines were pin stripe and the windows were plex-glass.
    That is funny... a guy told me the roadster was at the Texas state fair and I was upset because I missed it. Maybe it wasn't so bad if I missed seeing a mock up.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Keep up the good work. Nice to see people building stuff here in the states.
    Thanks! Your build diaries is one that I read all the way through. I do wonder why so few people in the states take on a building stuff.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxrrari View Post
    I don't mean to discourage you but it looks too short and stubby with the short t c4 wheelbase
    Like I said... my car is based on the Stingray Concept. I never claimed it was an exact copy. I actually made changes to the prototype to make it look "short and stubby". I also made the front fenders higher and rounder by choice.

Another builder has already made thic concept using the c6 chassis
    See
    Corvette Stingray Concept Replica from Z and M Customs - autoevolution
    I started out making my own body design and saw that they were selling a Stingray copy that didn't really look like the real thing so I switched my direction.

If you are doing this for your own enjoyment that's awesome, but I'd doubt it would sell well. The guy using the c6 has had a hard time selling the 2-3 units he completed
    Can I ask how you know he has had trouble selling those units? Can you define "trouble selling"? Do you know how just his kit has been selling? I would be happy just selling kits and the I would think the market much larger than that for turn key cars. I see the market for this prototype to be the guy that has a C4 and wants to make it into a nice car. C4s are ugly cars and you can pick them up dirt cheap. But they have a great suspension that can easily be made a lot better.

My concern with making an exact copy of the Stingray would be GM eventually taking action. I know they have done that in the past.

My long term plan is to come up with my own design. There have been a lot of negative comments on the design of the Stingray Concept itself so I can see how a kit being an exact copy might have trouble selling. I keep hearing "Batmobile" comments throughout the build process. Changing the design to make the car look "short and stubby" has greatly reduced the Batmobile comments.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by RHK View Post
    Looks cool to me. I'd suggest raising the rocker panels tho, bottoming out on the fiberglass would be bad!!
    Thanks, it's on my list of "ToDos". Until recently the rockers extended to the ground to hold up the Styrofoam sheets. I raised the rockers just enough to be able to move the car around. Having owned vettes and other low clearance vehicles in the past I am painfully aware of the issue. I plan to put sacrificial composite rails under the rockers that extend just below the fiberglass to prevent rocker damage and to provide easy jacking. It is a royal pain to have to find the "jacking points" under these cars to work on them. Once those are designed and in place, I will trim the rockers to be about 1/2" higher than the bottom of those. The prototypes of those rails might be steel.

Oh yeah... I also plan to have air adjustable suspension to clear parking lot and roadway speed bumps. Some of those parking lot speed bumps are absurdly tall.

nice work jack, just do it

Looking good! Just keep at it, when I started my s7 project I knew I could not pull off an exact replica but I set out to get it as close as I could. it is not easy creating and shaping an entire car by hand. good luck. John