Thread: How does DNA not get sued??

How does DNA not get sued??

After Ferrari came down so hard on manufactures, especially through the 90's and early 2000's, effectively wiping most of them out of existence, how does DNA automotive get away with producing its 360 and 430 kits unscathed? Its not like they are underground or hard to find. They have a nice website and boldly display what they sell. How are the lawyers not beating down there door? And not just them. There are a few others advertising their 355, 360, 430 replicas openly on the net.

I think it's because British laws regarding replicas are very relaxed compared to ours over here.

But there are US based companies that pull it off as well. Air Dynamics for example

They aren't passing them off as Replicas but original designs. Theres a huge lopehole around it. Just as long as they don't use the name or badge one of their cars Ferrari can't do anything about it.

But if you remember Mera's sold though Pontiac dealers had no F car badges but rather "Mera" badges but they still got sued and shut down. They had no reference to Ferrari's anywhere on them

I am wondering if a lot of the manufacturers that got shut down just caved in under pressure and never really saw the matter through to the end. But rather gave into scare tactics. I know a lot of replicas (especially my 308) look similar over all bit have a ton of small differences that add up. Heck, if you could sue just for selling a similar design you would think Mercedes Benz would have sued Lexus a long time ago. The Lexus LS cars and the MB big sedans look like they were designed by the same person.

I mean....come on! Its the same car! hahaha
    Last edited by EVM_Rob; 01-22-2012 at 02:12 AM.

They look nothing alike.

It's not just the badge that makes the difference whether the mfr can sue .

I think I read that if the cars more then 10% different, internationally it cant be claimed for copy right.

Most of the companies that shut down in the 90s were not closed because of a lawsuit about the body panels. Sure, there were some legal actions tried, but nothing went to court that I can find. I found that most of the companies when out of business, and used the lawsuit as an excuse. They kept deposits too. The ones that did go to court were over trademarks. If you use a registered trademark of another company, you are dead. It is easier to win against a trademark vs a patent. The problem for the OEMs is with the fact that the body panels are different. If they were 100% the same, there might be something they can do.

So if were to say....market my replicas on the web and so forth but made sure to have ZERO reference to the "Ferr@ri" badge, logo, name, in text or images of any kind I would have little to no worry??