Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F40 builders step inside.

F40 builders step inside.

Ok, first I should introduce myself. I've been a car nut for well awhile now. Restored my first car at 13, 2nd at 15, and list goes on.

The ferrari f40 has always made my heart skip a beat though, well more than 1 beat.

As you guys will know owning the real thing is first expensive and 2nd would be stressful to drive and park knowing that big of investment is sitting outside. As kitcar folks you understand this.

Having an engineering degree, and a fairly well equipped machine shop, welding, fabrication along with an idle mind makes you wonder and dream. The rest of you can admit to dreaming also.

Of the few F40 kits I have seen, most based on a car chassis I have never seen one that I liked and felt matched the original body lines. No disrespect just my own views. I have found a few guys who have created their own from scratch that were rather well done but they all seem to be limited to 1 offs.

So here is my question. Is there someone that is say building a f40 from scratch and has that desire to have the body shape "correct" and would like to team up on it. Say for example they build the bodies and I built 2 chassis? Not looking to start a business, or sell anything just split the workload a bit.

If someone wants to email me offline that would be good also. ty1295 at g mail .

Anybody else know of others that have done this and how it worked out?

Jeff
    Last edited by FunnyWheels; 01-24-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Welcome to the madness we all share and love......

Get in touch with Plasticfantastic as he is building an almost exact if not exact replica of the F40 over in the UK. He has a build thread in Build Diaries. There is also a replica out of New Zealand that gone the extra mile to make the car if not exact, extremely close.

One other fellow on here has some original panels as well but I believe the agreement he had was a one off as well.

Plasticfantastic's build thread.....

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...rth-build.html

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Hi just currious what kind of chassis would you be building. Id love to see it. later Lukester

Personally for me in terms of chassis and with my engineering background I would want to design my own. Fact is I personally don't care about fooling anybody but at the same time I think I could rival or exceed performance of the real thing. I have spent the last 15yrs now studying suspensions, designed and built a coilover conversion kit for another vehicle, designed a couple rear suspensions from scratch and installed, a couple roll cages, etc.

With that said though if someone was found to split the workload I would be all for building whatever they wanted. Duplicate F40, custom design for rocket motor, etc.

At this point I have not started anything on this project. I do have 3 other cars also, and it a steady stream of customer cars to work on. If I start hinges a lot of the idea behind this thread.

The best bet would to find the exact roof dimensions from a 308 and the 308 doors are the same as the F40 (apart from the wider door skin, the window framing and length is the same size) Good luck and if you made a more exact F40 body and your in the USA you would the first here... apart from some that are very off and not fooling anyone.

Im currently building and exact replica as well as a fiero f40 version. I would love to see the chassis that is being talked about. I have all the parts for my build just not the rear clam shell section. I can't wait to see the chassis. Later Luke

I have the plans of F40 chassis,this come in the service manual of F40.

Lowboost you have some MP,please reply to me

Question

Have you ever built a complete chassis?

Yes, in fact have a 34 ford truck I am building now that I started with only a cab and what cab I do have is rather rusty so most will be built from scratch. No frame, nothing else. It will end up being a IFS of my own design, rear be solid axle but my own there also.

Something I can drive daily if I wanted.

While on this topic. I understand the F40 shares the windshield with 308, and someone mentions the roofline. What other things does it share?

I have been thinking about the best way to go about this if I end up doing it all myself. Thought of a metal (maybe aluminum) main body structure that could easily be attached to chassis, followed by the rest being composite.

Even thought of building the hood plug first, get that mold done before moving on to the rest.

In the end I want the outside to be accurate, chassis/drivetrain I want to perform as a F40 would but I want to engineer my own suspension. It will be twin turbo charged no matter what which will make it my 2nd twin turbo v8 so that part is the least worrysome for me.

Ty,

You'll get plenty of responses to your thread I feel sure.

From what I have seen on this site Plastic Fantastics body is as accurate as they come but he is making his fit over a Lotus chassis.

There are blueprints of the original F40 chassis available on the web. I downloaded this and had the IT guys at work clean it up as in parts it was not clear. I can send you a copy if you are seriously interested.

Not so sure about going to an aluminium shell - dissimilar metals and all the problems that entails.

Now a full carbon body I would be interested in.

Twin turbo you really need to look at the Lexus V8 which is the route the guy in New Zealand went, 4 litre I believe.

If you don't mind me asking where are you based?

I'm interested in tagging along although I have a couple of on-going projects right now so do not have sufficient spare funds to throw at my favourite car :0(

Good luck.

TVR