Thread: Help me start my first Kit Car! :D

Question Help me start my first Kit Car! :D

Hi everyone,
    just find out this forum today and I have been reading all day,
    finally some place I can ask questions without kit haters telling me off.

Well, I want to start a F430 project.

I currently have a MR2 mk2, however is in a bad shape (engine wise) and a leak, so I'll be selling that off,
    dont wanna spend my savings on that.

I live in Sydney, Australia, have never built a Kit car. Just did some bodykit work on my MR2.

here is what I know about F430 kits on the market so far,

DNA F430 - 7500pounds Panel Kit - MR2 mk3

FGP F430 Scuderia Kit - 5999eur - MR2 mk3

GTF F430 - 4995pounds Panel Kit - MR2 mk2

+++++shipping to Sydney, Australia, anyone know how much?

before I buy my new base car, mk2 or mk3
    I have to decide which kit to get,

- DNA seems really trustly and popular, but is a bit pricey

- FGP F430 Scuderia looks so sexy at the rear and have a good price, however didnt hear much about the brand

- GTF I like how the use the mk2, good price, on the website it says without structural modification, doesnt all the kit have this?
    also with the GTF I can drive manual, since 99% of the mk3 in aus is Semi Auto.

Which one is the easiest to build? I just want to get one started on,
    then I'll go work and save the money for the paint job, interior detailing + those ferrari rims

Questions for the Aussie F430s

Doesnt aus have a strict policy towards wheel extensions? Doesnt all the Kit need wheel extensions?
    How to register a F430 Kit car in NSW?
    Can someone tell me the steps, or is it even legal now in NSW?

Thanks everyone for taking your time reading this,

Regard
    DEAR SANTA
    Last edited by Dear Santa; 02-10-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Cool

First off, welcome to the forum Santa! You'll find that our hobby is very unique in the sense that not many people would cut up a perfectly good car to try and build another one out of it!

As far as your first kit goes (from experience) I would start with something simple. I started with one of the hardest kits to complete and I am still steady at it after 2.5 years! I dont know much about the F430 kits but what I do know is that DNA makes a very good product. Either kit you go with make sure you plan on sinking in some time and money. No kit is an easy kit.

Hope that helps! Ask questions, measure twice and hold on because if you choose to start a kit...its definately a ride!

-Dario

There is no such thing as a simple kit, like Jets303 says, but in my opinion the DNA is the easiest. It's a simple kit with instructions and the service is great! If you need any help you
    can always give them a call. You should take a look at the DNA owners forum, you'll see how other owners built theirs!

Good luck!
    Sander

I agree with everyone else. DNA is probably the easiest kit to do. You will have to check with local laws concerning the use of wheel adapters. You may also need to check on the headlights as well. The DNA requires the use of huge wheel adapters/extensions. Also, DNA produces their own headlight assemblies. You will need to make sure you are conforming to local laws. The DNA kits are very nice and are designed to be easy in comparison to other kits. With that in mind, the car will not look the same as the OEM version. The Mr2 is a much smaller car than the 430’s. Understand the doors will be thick and the interior is smaller than OEM. Plus you have a 4 banger supplying the power. DNA has done a great job working out there kit to fit the Mr2 with it’s limitations. Here in the US we still like to use Fiero’s for out Lambo or Ferrari projects. Although it’s so time consuming that many never get completed. My project is now 3 years long and I’m still not done with it. If I did the DNA I would have been driving it long ago. The DNA is just a body kit and doesn’t change anything else. Sorry I can’t commit on the other kits you spoke of. Have you looked into the Scuderia Kit that DNA produces based on the Couger?

Welcome to the forum!
    I'm building an AD355, so I don't have much to offer in the way of specific information concerning your kit choice. But, I can offer you some general advice.

MAKE A PLAN and then expect to modify it often.

Without a plan, your build will take much longer than you want it to, and often builders will just give up before finishing the car. I believe this is because, without a plan, builders start on one area but end up getting distracted and working on "this little part, and while I'm at it, I might as well take care of this part too" and 2 years later they still don't have near enough progress to look at and stay motivated. With a WRITTEN PLAN, they can track progress and see they are actually accomplishing something and it keeps the "light at the end of the tunnel" believable, if not within reach.

Concerning buying parts, buying parts too far in advance is ill-advised ie. spending precious funds that might be needed for actually building the car on wheel center caps, emblems, badges, and a car stereo might be tempted, but it'd probably be better to get the car put together and functional before worrying about cosmetic details.

RESEARCH YOUR VENDOR!!!

There are builders that have had to sell their projects at a loss because they never received all the necessary parts from the supplier to build the car. There are projects that have taken years to finish, that otherwise could have been finished in months but were delayed waiting on the supplier to send the last few parts. There are vendors that have poor customer service, and vendors that have great service but poor quality parts. It's a gamble. You pay your money and take your chances, but doing your homework can save you some heartache.

The absolute best practice I have found is to pay for the parts AT THE TIME YOU PICK THEM UP. This is not always possible, granted. Not everyone lives within driving distance of the parts manufacturer, or in most cases, you have to pay for the parts up front. If you do have to pay up front, use a credit card. When the parts come in, check carefully to make sure everything is there. IF you used a credit card, you may have some protection if you can't get missing parts from the supplier.

This could go on forever listing the do's and don'ts, but one thing you can be sure of, no matter what, is the assistance and fellowship of other builders here on the forum!

This forum will quite possible be the most important "tool" in your build (it has been for me!)

Good luck, and post pics! LOTS AND LOTS of pics!

My advice?

Get a financial advisor! It is always more than you think it will be. Worth it, but still costly. Good luck and keep us posted.