View Poll Results: Lamboghini or 430

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Diablo/Murcy

4 23.53%
  • DNA Kit

13 76.47%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking a kit: Why is this so difficult?

Picking a kit: Why is this so difficult?

I've been reading for about 6 months now and I find picking a kit is damn near impossible. It's almost like I wish I could try to build them all. I feel like I have narrowed it down to my two favorite options and I'm weighing some pros and cons of each.

The background: Father/son combo, lots of tools, decent amount of know-how. This will be the first build we've attempted.

The goal: Have a good time and learn a lot. Eventually we'd like to end up with a car that is a head turner but not necessarily perfectly exact (however preferred not be laughed at). We would like to have some performance but it doesn't have to win on the drag strip. However, it needs to sound like a beast.

The Kits:

Ferrari 430 (DNA)
    ($24,000)
    Pros
    -Incredibly close to real thing
    -Easier than other kits
    -Can get to driving it quicker than lambo
    -MR2 is newer and needs less mechanical work. Probably go with v6 swap

Cons

-More expense up front. Both kit and donor cost more.
    -Worried about finishing the build in the summer then going back to wishing we had a project
    -MR2 won't hold a v8 like a Fiero.

Murcy/Diablo (roughly $7,000)

Most likely a Murcy-2 (CKI or Robs)

Pros

-Cheap Donor and Kit
    -Fiero holds v8
    -Lots of builds and guides online
    -Cheap to start (again)
    -More things to do: doors, windows, removable top, etc

Cons

-More difficult (its our first kit car)
    -May cost more in the long run?
    -Not as mechanically sound
    -Kit accuracy
    -More things to do: doors, windows, removable top, etc
    Last edited by ExoticDreams; 02-26-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Go with the 430. At least you'll have a car you can drive soon and reliable

There's a reason 99% of the lambo kits are never finished or the 1% that do get finished are sold immediately after being built...because they end up as crappy driving old fieros.

yea go with DNA 430 , or if you are in the USA ,check out the Bentley continental GT SS kit , the donor is not old as fiero(2000+ chrysler seabring) and the price is cheap,and the kit accuracy is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxrrari View Post
    Go with the 430. At least you'll have a car you can drive soon and reliable

There's a reason 99% of the lambo kits are never finished or the 1% that do get finished are sold immediately after being built...because they end up as crappy driving old fieros.
    I take exception to your Fiero remark. Mine has a turbo charged ls4 in it with full held suspension and 13" brakes. Hardly a crappy driving old Fiero. Pull your head out of your ***. You don't know what you are talking about. Yes there are old worn out Fieros out there and there are some really nice ones with or without rebodys. If I wanted to criticize I could mention the IFG 355s. They were the first and the worst. I know which one you have.
    Last edited by dratts1; 02-27-2012 at 03:02 PM.

HI all,

Or another reason why lambo kits are so rarely done: The owner doesn't listen to the other people telling them how much the look-alike will cost in the long run. Unfotunately, no matter which kit you choose the more exact you wish to make it, be prepared to spend quite the dime, but then again spending money is usually relevent to how much you can invest doing yourself and farming it out. Then if you throw this into that mix: How long do I want to wait or take to build this car? Then comes the next question, the new models one, some will say that this new model is the one I should've waited for.

I am NOT telling you what you shoudl do, just trying to help you realize now just how much those little things add up to. A member here did a Ferrari355 convertible kit, the wheel-well area, he used a plastic trashcan to make a mold so that wheel-well area and the car so it would look more factory finished. TAKE time when considering certain farming out procedures, as common-sense brought out the capability for those skyentific reasonings...

Thanx all,

Ear-ick...
    Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

Quote Originally Posted by dratts1 View Post
    I take exception to your Fiero remark. Mine has a turbo charged ls4 in it with full held suspension. Hardly a crappy driving old Fiero. Pull your head out of your ***. You don't know what you are talking about. Yes there are old worn out Fieros out there and there are some really nice ones with or without rebodys. If I wanted to criticize I could mention the IFG 355s. They were the first and the worst. I know which one you have.
    Is your lambo finished? Let's see pics. My 355 is finished and beautiful. I bought it off some poor soul who did all the work and had to sell at a loss, like most kit builders

And if i remember You've spent over $10k on your engine setup, $2800 on tranny because of blowing them? Probably another 3-4k on suspension? That brings the cost higher than the DNA 430 which can be a nice driving car right after the body kit is installed, it doesn't require $16k of mechanical updates to be decent driving car.
    Last edited by Fauxrrari; 02-27-2012 at 03:06 PM.

They are never finished. It was a decent driver before I went crazy on the drivetrain and suspension. The phrase I had a problem with was "crappy driving old Fiero". What you have is a low buck replica. My 355 is an air dynamic with a N* engine. If you are happy with what you have then I'm glad for you. But your $10,000 replica is not in the same category as some of the high end machines on here. You are right about the money I have in my lambo. It wasn't necessary to drop that much into it. I just wanted as much hp as the car I was replicating. It is NOT a crappy driving old Fiero. You have more bang for the buck than I have in mine, and that is a valid choice to make.

If your plan is to build a supercar replica such as Ferrari or Lambo. Do your homework and ask lots of questions. One of the benefits of a company such as DNA is that they supply just about everything to complete the job. Such as headlights, Convertible top and etc. If you source out all the extras you will need separately. It generally runs into the thousands of dollars. In other words, the 7K Lambo kit easily turns into 25K by the time your of the way done. In my opinion, the DNA 430 kit is far from accurate. Since the MR2 is used as a donor. The MR2 is a very small car. Which makes the doors thick undersized windshield and huge wheel spacers. Although DNA did the best job of any other company’s attempts.

Like you said, the Lambo is a much harder kit to do than the DNA 430. Even the more simple kits can be challenging and time consuming depending on how nice you want the finished product to look.

dont forget we do a coupe on a ford cougar v6 base aswell

@ fauxrarri go and have a look at the 'First day with my ls4 turboed murci' thread dratts1's car is one of the most beautiful replicas ive seen...