Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I guess the first thing I need to do is get a fiero right?

So I guess the first thing I need to do is get a fiero right?

Is there a particular year that is best to use? Also what needs to be intact on the fiero? Is it just the frame and body that will be used in making the diablo or are there other original fiero parts that need to be utilized?

Re:So I guess the first thing I need to do is get a fiero right?

Hey Dan! Welcome

The best year is the 88 because the frame is designed a bit different, especially the rear sub cradle. The suspension is completely different and much better. Not to mention a whole lot stronger.

If you end up going the road that most of us do and use a wide track suspension conversion rather than huge, damaging, unsightly wheel spacers... the 88 also makes this easier and cheaper than any other year.

The front spindles are much stronger on an 88 which means you don't absolutely have to replace them with a beefier model to upgrade your brakes.

Basically, the difference (pros and cons) of buying any year is cost for purchase versus cost for build up. With the 88, you are saving money in build up costs and giving yourself a better platform to begin with.

As for the condition... The worse the cheaper of course. However, that also means more abuse, hidden rust and other possible damage you wont see until the body is off and you CAN'T return it

It's a balance. Most buyers that are serious about a long term vehicle are willing to spend a little bit more on the donor to get one they can have faith in.

PERFECT low mile donors are out there for under $3000. Good buys are around $1500 and Miracle purchases are under $1000.

It's all up to you. When building these cars though... cutting a corner early just my come back to haunt you

Welcome to the Forum...

DKOV -
    DKOV Motorsports - Your Fiero and Fiero Related Replica EVERYTHING Source.

Dan:

I have owned Fiero's since they were introduced in September of 1983 (84 model year). DKOV is correct with his information. The biggest thing to go wrong with the car is the looks. (that is the second thing to go in people)

First to go will be the dash and seats, then the rear lights fade and plastic body parts become brittle, then the paint. I guess we all like the car and change the body to suit our own taste. If your looking for a starter. Look at the things we both mentioned and you should be in good shape.

I now have two play cars, an 88 Formula that is as stock as a stove with 66K miles and Ferrari red paint. The other one is an 86 that only resembles a Fiero if you look at the title. One extreme to the other.

Welcome to the gang.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Alright!

Well here is the car I am looking at right now. http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...lor=&cardist=8

I just called the guy today and he told me that he will sell it for $1500. It has a fresh paint job and alot of other extras just put in. Also he lives 3 miles from my house so I think I will go by and look it over. When I go to check the car out is there anything else in particular that I should keep my eyes open for? Also do they build a diablo kit for this? If not what are the kits that are available for this car? I really hope this car works out, I can't believe it was this easy to find!

For an 84 that is way to much to pay for one. The last one I purchased was a 1988 that had a new V6 engine, 5 Speed Getrag Transaxle, one owner, Formula edition that needed a paint job (now Ferrari red) and I only have $1500 in that car with 66K mikes on it. The car looks and runs like new. Most people who purchase an older 84, 4 cylinder have to put a new engine in the car sooner or later. If it were me, I would keep looking.

Dave

Before repaint

I agree... If I can buy an 88 4cyl in perfectly good working order for $700 and a decent V6 88 GT for $1500... that 84 is way over priced in whatever condition.

DKOV -

Wow, you guys were right. I looked around a little more and found this. Its a little further away but I think it will be worth it. Let me know what ya think

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...r=&cardist=381

By the way guys, is there a kit available that will be compatable with the 88 fiero? Or is everyone here just into ferrari?

There are quite a few Lambo guys here too. Just start a thread asking for references on a good Lambo kit. I'm sure you will get a THOUSAND responces

DKOV -

Scott:

Why do some of these threads go bonkers and expand past the frame of the computer?

Is it just me or is something not set correctly?

Dave